Some questions about my Craftsman/Atlas lathe 101.07403

ugotactionTX

I'm in dead rack!
Silver Member
I have a Craftsman/Atlas 12x36
model number 101.07403
101.20140 QC gearbox number

what is the max RMP I can achieve and what combination of pulley/gears would I need to achieve this. I will be doing some pool cue repair and eventually some cue building. Wouldn't you want higher speeds for wood?

I also posed a question earlier about some play in the cross slide. If I apply pressure with my hand on the slide is has a little play perpindicular to the bed. Is there a way to tighten this? what would I need to replace(in most cases) to fix the problem?

Finally, when I run the carriage out manually, it starts to get difficult about 3/5ths of the way down the bed. it doesn't bind exactly, just gets tough and you have to muscle through it. Someone suggested it was "wear" and could be adjusted, I just don't have a clue how to start.

Any help is MUCH appreciated

EDRJR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yahoo Group

Lots of good info on Yahoo Atlas Lathe Group= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlas_craftsman/
It does sound like you have some bed wear. Also there can be play in the screws that move the compound tool post. Try adjusting the gib screws on the compound. I keep mine fairly snug and lubricate the ways every time I use my lathe. I also use Boeshield T-9 on the bare metal surfaces when I don't think I will use it for awhile. This oil has wax in it and it kept rust from forming in the basement of my old house that had standing water when it rained heavily:eek: .

Princecues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
problems with atlas lathe

The problems you listed with your atlas lathe can be a number of things. First you need to make sure that the lathe is mounted level on a flat surface. If it isn't the atlas lathes have thinner bed ways and can twist if they aren't on a flat level surface. That could be binding the carriage. Also make sure that the lead screw is clean. There is a keyway that runs the length of the lead screw that can sometimes fill up with chips and debris. There might be some wear in the bed ways as well. If the lathe has only been used for doing small parts the front of the ways might be worn and someone might have adjusted the gibs to tighten it up, but the other side of the ways might not be as worn so it will get tighter as it gets to the not so worn part of the bed.
If you are getting side play on the cross slide or compound, there are gib screws that you can tighten to take up some of the slop.
Another problem you might have with these lathes is the half nut that feeds the carriage is made of a soft material (maybe brass) that tends to wear out quickly if you don't have the lathe sitting level. I have gone through a few of them on my atlas, so I made a set out of steel so they don't wear.
These lathes usually top out around 2000rpm, with the stock parts, but you could always change the motor to go faster, but the bearings in the head stock might not be rated for higher speeds. I cut with routers on my atlas, so I am always turning slower rpms. The good thing abou the atlas lathes is you can usually find parts for them on ebay. I use my bigger lathes for all my turning, I use the atlas just for tapering. Anyways, I hope this helps you out.

Tim Prince