Two of the best playing cues on the planet, Jeff Olney/Chuck Starkey

Trav D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are a couple of cues that I got myself for Christmas. The top cue is a Jeff Olney that I found in the for sale section. Sorry Jeff, I had to get another in between orders, lol. Everything once again lines up dead perfect. The rings with the shafts together....perfect.....super tight shaft fittings....perfect....points....yep right in line. The bottom cue is a Chuck Starkey cue that I have had on order. This cue is just CRAZY. The koa is as good as I have ever seen, and the buckhorn handle, buttcap, and joint is very unique. This is a sure enough eye catcher here and I am going to keep this in my personal collection.

Both of these cues are great playing cues and I swear Olney and Starkey do not get the recognition that they deserve. Both are monster players!! I have had a couple others from Starkey that I wanted to keep so bad in the past but the weight was just not there so I sent them back. This one is to my specs so I am keeping this bad boy. Anyway, check them out everyone.
000_0091.jpg
[/IMG]
000_0093.jpg
[/IMG]
000_0092.jpg
[/IMG]

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Couple of great cues there, Trav. The buckhorn handle is very interesting.

CMD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That Jeff Olney cue is very nice! I saw the thread. I almost pulled the trigger. Unfortunately I am on cue lockdown. We are building a new house.

I also really like that Chuck Starkey cue. Very unique handle.

Happy New Year my friend,
Chris

dainese919

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
never played Olney but I have 2 starkey and they both "feels" fantastic in hand
I've got the "cousin" cue=the water baffulo handle with buckeye :wink:

softstick

Registered
re: Olney/ Starkey cues

Beautiful cues Trav. I am a huge koa fan :grin: as I have a buddy who lives in Hilo and supplies me with 80+ koa slabs from trees that has been blown down by the wind. No foresting allowed. Anyway, really interesting with that buckhorn. Thanks for sharing.

Dan

Trav D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That Jeff Olney cue is very nice! I saw the thread. I almost pulled the trigger. Unfortunately I am on cue lockdown. We are building a new house.

I also really like that Chuck Starkey cue. Very unique handle.

Happy New Year my friend,
Chris

Yea I remember seeing you post about the Olney. Try one out when you can though, they play jam up.

Trav D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
never played Olney but I have 2 starkey and they both "feels" fantastic in hand
I've got the "cousin" cue=the water baffulo handle with buckeye :wink:

Yeah I saw that in the gallery I believe not long at all ago. That was one sharp cue. I bet it plays great.

Trav D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Beautiful cues Trav. I am a huge koa fan :grin: as I have a buddy who lives in Hilo and supplies me with 80+ koa slabs from trees that has been blown down by the wind. No foresting allowed. Anyway, really interesting with that buckhorn. Thanks for sharing.

Dan

Man that is cool, sounds like you have the koa industry on lock down. Koa always seems to make a great looking cue. Lots of figure in the few pieces I have seen.

Trav D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They have a firm, super crisp hit to them Rusty. I don't know if it is in the wood pin or what, but it has a very nice hit to it. It is a very lively hit just like the Olneys. You can't go wrong with either cue and both are great people to deal with on top of that.

Rethunk

Snooker pimp
Silver Member
Nice cues, Trav.

How does the buckhorn on the Starkey cue feel in the hand? That is, when you're holding the cue are you aware of the material?

I'm reading up about Starkey's cues. I've tended to play stiff-hitting cues, and I'd rather see beautiful wood on a wrapless cue rather than points, inlays, etc.

Trav D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey man how is it going. I actually grip my cue on the very end of the buttcap, so a cue with a wrap on it I still do not feel. I am always gripping the wood. As far as the buckhorn though feeling different from wood, it feels no different than a wood handled cue. It is as smooth as glass. Before I held my cue that far back I had a problem with sweating with certain wraps and the wood handle fit better for me. I just prefer the looks of a wood handled cue also now any day over linen or leather and 90% of my cues are wood handled cues. I hope this helps, Trav Dorn.

Rethunk

Snooker pimp
Silver Member
Hey man how is it going. I actually grip my cue on the very end of the buttcap, so a cue with a wrap on it I still do not feel. I am always gripping the wood. As far as the buckhorn though feeling different from wood, it feels no different than a wood handled cue. It is as smooth as glass. Before I held my cue that far back I had a problem with sweating with certain wraps and the wood handle fit better for me. I just prefer the looks of a wood handled cue also now any day over linen or leather and 90% of my cues are wood handled cues. I hope this helps, Trav Dorn.

Thanks for the reply, Trav.

I'm going to email Chuck to see what he has planned for this coming year.

TheTablePro

Silver Member
Impressive cues Trav! One day we will make it down to my in-laws and I see them in person. You are close to Greenwood aren't you? A mechanic that posts in that forum opened up a room there.....Slate Billiards. Have to check it out!

Robin

Trav D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
13 miles from Greenwood. Shoot me a pm when you come to town. Slate billiards is nice as hell. I haven't hit a ball in there yet (was sick the day of the grand opening Sunday) but did walk in there that night for a moment. I am definitely going to check it out and play in the next couple of days.