World Team Billiards Photos of the Filipino Invasion

AnitoKid

And I kid you not!
Silver Member
A series of messages with Mr. Renz Villareal led me to discover his awesome collection of autographed photos of the Filipino Invasion.

To say that his collection is amazing would be an understatement! Yes, I will be presenting them to the world in a few days. And I kid you not!

A couple of pics stood out in my mind - the Filipino Invasion proudly wearing Philippine flag-themed shirts.

I learned that the photographs were part of a 132-card set released by World Wide Collectibles, Inc. in 1993. The set, which sold for $25, highlighted the top pool players at that time, including awesome team pics from the 1993 World Team Billiards Challenge.

Images of the cards have been compiled by CueSight into one incredible database. The compilation allows both pool players and enthusiasts to find their favorite players and see how their respective careers have gone or changed in 25 years.

Moreover, it permits anyone and everyone to catch a glimpse of the past, with emphasis on discovering the very rich history of our favorite sport and its champions.

I will be presenting the images in sets and in ordinal ranking. And without further ado, here is the first one - that of Jose Amang Parica and Efren Bata Reyes! Woot! Woot!

Jose Parica, Jr.

Card Number 10
IPT Ranking: 10
Nickname: Amang

Jose is a Filipino Hall of Fame Champion whose exciting style and stroke have made him a major international competitor.

"Amang" started playing pool when he was 8 and since coming to international attention in the late '70s, he has gone on to win many major tournaments. The list includes the Japan Open in '79 and the World Pro 9-Ball Championships in '89 and '90 in Japan.

Jose has the distinction of winning both the Ohio State and Florida State Opens twice each ('90 and '91), as well as the Philippine Open in '92.

His world wide reputation as a winner earned him a spot as an international representative for the Philippines in World Team Billiards.

Efren Reyes

Card Number 35
IPT Ranking: 42 tied
Nickname: The Magician

When Efren was 8 years old he began playing pool in his uncle's poolroom. He left a steady job at the age of 30 to turn pro and he's been winning matches ever since.

His wins include the '85 and '86 Sands Regency 9-Ball Championship and the '88 McDermott Master Championship. Other tournament victories include the '90 World Cup in Taipei, the '90 International 9-Ball Tournament and the '92 World 9-Ball Open in Tokyo.

His Tour ranking is not a true reflection on his ability to compete, as he only able to participate in a limited number of Tour events in '92.

"The Magician" is the captain of Team Philippines in World Team Billiards.

Jose Parica, Jr.

Card Number 104
Team Philippines
Nickname: "Amang"

Having earned the distinction of being in the Philippine Hall of Fame, Jose Parica is an internationally ranked player and one of the acknowledged stars of Team Philippines.

He won nine 9-Ball Championships, including the Great American in '86, the Gandy Open in '88, the International Open 9-Ball in '88 and '89 and the Philippine 9-Ball in '92.

Other titles include the Philippine Open 8-Ball Championship in '79, the Selsi Plaza International Open in Japan in '88 and Tennessee Bar Table Championships in '90.

Jose and his wife have 4 children. His hobbies include watching Jai-lai and Boston Celtics.

Efren Reyes

Card Number 108
Team Philippines
Nickname: "The Magician"

Efren, "The Magician" Reyes is one of the brightest international stars on Team Philippines. He is considered by his peers to be among the Top 10 players in the world.

His fantastic shotmaking has earned him nickname "The Magician" and his consistent world class play has put tremendous pressure on his opponents.

A favorite in both the Philippines, Japan, Taiwan and United States. "The Magician" has cult following wherever he plays. He never disappoints his fans, creating incredible shots from any point on the table.

With Efren Reyes in the Philippine lineup, all world teams know they can't make a mistake and expect to win.

Team Philippines

Card Number 70

The intensity of World Team Billiards is exemplified in this group photo of Team Philippines.

As Bustamante positions himself for the shot at the one ball, his fellow teammates look on with anxious anticipation.

Once considered a solo sport, pocket billiards has been completely revised with the new team format, placing players who normally in competition against one another, together on the same team as one force.

A new sense of pride is instilled in the players as they share the joys of victory and the agonies of defeat with their fellow countrymen.

Team Philippines

Card Number 103

Jose Parica
Leonardo Andam
Francisco Bustamante
Rodolfo Luat
Efren Reyes

More at The AnitoKid on Billiards on Facebook, friends.

AnitoKid
36c09cd455ddadc5e0b25257af374102.jpg
cd27b5ab5c6d3ae46ab5c1e9fda7bc97.jpg
74fcd82fbb46d31fa2b2b4e68d204609.jpg
b73447b85aa6e35e8f914783bfba13fd.jpg

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
It's Rodolfo, Jay my friend. But his nickname is spelled Rudy.

AnitoKid

And his monicker is Boy Samson.

RIP Dodong Dadianggas Andam.

Dodong drove through Davao del Norte one time and robbed the town.
He played against my father's driver who was a pretty good player ( one handed or two handed ). Spotted him 70-50 and still beat him. Then Dodong moved on to Butuan .

AnitoKid

And I kid you not!
Silver Member
And his monicker is Boy Samson.

RIP Dodong Dadianggas Andam.

Dodong drove through Davao del Norte one time and robbed the town.
He played against my father's driver who was a pretty good player ( one handed or two handed ). Spotted him 70-50 and still beat him. Then Dodong moved on to Butuan .
Thank you very much for sharing this, JoeyinCali!

AnitoKid