Taom tip review

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got some Taom tips here the other day. I have been very curious about these tips. They are made in Finland and use by pro`s like Mika Immonen, Jayson Shaw and Rodney Morris.
I don`t have a durometer yet, but they seem pretty hard, close to the Mezz Sonic tip I have been using the last year.
They seem to be made of some sort of plastic (thermoplastic??) easy to glue on, but not the easiest tip to install without a lathe. But with some sharp tools and some patience it`s possible :)

I`m no SVB, but I have been working very systematic to improve my break and all that practice has resulted in a break that is fairly consistent and with good controll over the cueball.
I use a SVB type break and I have had some instances where i loose controll of the CB and it goes flying of the table. Today I played about five hours and all my breaks were close to perfect. I have never had so many runouts before as I had today.
The Taom tip gives me great controll, yet is hard enough to make bonecrushing hard breaks.
This is by far the best break tip I have ever tried.

This is how they look on a Mezz Deep Impact Pro H shaft:
Taom-1.jpg

Last edited:

suharsh

Registered
Thanks for the review. What chalk to you use on these and does the chalk stay well on the tip. Also how much was the cost?

cammel8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got some Taom tips here the other day. I have been very curious about these tips. They are made in Finland and use by pro`s like Mika Immonen, Jayson Shaw and Rodney Morris.
I don`t have a durometer yet, but they seem pretty hard, close to the Mezz Sonic tip I have been using the last year.
They seem to be made of some sort of plastic (thermoplastic??) easy to glue on, but not the easiest tip to install without a lathe. But with some sharp tools and some patience it`s possible :)

I`m no SVB, but I have been working very systematic to improve my break and all that practice has resulted in a break that is fairly consistent and with good controll over the cueball.
I use a SVB type break and I have had some instances where i loose controll of the CB and it goes flying of the table. Today I played about five hours and all my breaks were close to perfect. I have never had so many runouts before as I had today.
The Taom tip gives me great controll, yet is hard enough to make bonecrushing hard breaks.
This is by far the best break tip I have ever tried.

This is how they look on a Mezz Deep Impact Pro H shaft:
Taom-1.jpg

I've tried finding these but no luck, anyone know where to get them?

suharsh

Registered
I got one and installed. Mine is blue. I am certainly breaking better. Break is my weakest point so long way to go but this Tip is now my choice of break tip. The others that I have used are some stock phenolic (came on Elite break cue), Samsara and Mezz Sonic. I got this installed on my Mezz Break II (the shorter break cue version).

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only tip for me what made me say WOW. I tried jumping with it and it's TOO GOOD!
Cueball jump so easy I could not keep it on table..
It got nice normal tip feel also..
I got phenolic tip jumper and Players break\jump but those cannot even talked in same neighborhood than Taom Tips.
Only reason why I did not purchased those when I tested because they were first time ever present happening and they were outrageous priced then...
I gonna get em near future.
I'm just surprised how it does not yet be big thing on players here. It just Overpowered.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
lots of photos online of these exploding... They are thermoset plastic pressed into duty as break tips at $25 a pop.. They were not designed for impact. Buyer beware and take real good look at yours before it's installed.. If you can see color striations it is only a matter of time......

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lots of photos online of these exploding... They are thermoset plastic pressed into duty as break tips at $25 a pop.. They were not designed for impact. Buyer beware and take real good look at yours before it's installed.. If you can see color striations it is only a matter of time......

A matter of time before what??
Have you seen the tips up close or tried one?

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You still need to come with those pictures Renfo!
Your making claims about the product possibly being defective, I would like to see the abundace of proof you are talking about.
I have tried google and no broken tips show up.
I have installed about ten Taoms + the ones I use myself and I have had nothing, but positive feedback.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
The pad that was under the Taom... I will get you 2 more when I goto the pool room of cracked tips that were cut off before they exploded... Doing impact tests this weekend may see if the installer has any left or tossed them all...

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
019fdc639b6488d94d75ef3a719fe959.jpg

That one shattered at 750 psi......
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

lvlss42190

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And what kind of PSI can one expect from the average break shot?
You don't give anything to compare it to. Just because they shatter at 750 doesn't mean squat if the average player will only put the tip through something like 500PSI. Your posts are vague and leave too many questions unanswered. It sounds to me like you're just trying to smear a product more popular than your own.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting that it failed at such a low pressure. That would be in the range of a 22 or so mph break. 20 mph is 683 lbs 39 mph is 2000 lbs, These came from Dr Dave's site.
No wonder tips get such a hard time on the break with some people.
Neil

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Interesting that it failed at such a low pressure. That would be in the range of a 22 or so mph break. 20 mph is 683 lbs 39 mph is 2000 lbs, These came from Dr Dave's site.
No wonder tips get such a hard time on the break with some people.
Neil

The peak pressure is even higher with a synthetic vs a leather because of the shortened contact time.... According to discussions I have had with Bob Jewett via email.....