Congratulations mark wilson

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good News - Mark Wilson has decided to carry on as Captain of the US Mosconi Team. He is the first USA NON PLAYING Captain to get two consecutive terms.

He must have mixed feelings about losing his right to hand pick a complete team as Matchroom have come up with a plan to use their own rankings to fill three of the five spots. But Mark was handed a tough, time consuming task to raise money to publicise team activities. But in the end he was let down by the inability of his players to develop a genuine work ethic.- SVB excepted. There was a massive difference between the atmosphere in the two practice rooms in Blackpool.
The Euros would arrive by 11am each day while first US players showed up two hours later, With a full schedule of things that needed his attention, Mark mistakenly believed that these players were seasoned enough to take responsibility for their own actions.

So maybe he will be able to devote more time to this aspect instead of his more administrative role he got bogged down with in his first term.
I still firmly believe that he is the best man for the job.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
I couldn't agree more. There are those that want to jump him because his first time at bat didn't bring it home. While there are those that acknowledge that improvement, albeit minor, was accomplished we didn't win. I think he is a major step forward in bringing it back to USA and I think 2015 will prove that. Let's get back on track on this year! :thumbup:

There's not enough top talent in the US to matchup with the top 5 in Europe.

Team US was terrible. Mental breakdowns by SVB and Schmidt left no chance of winning. They looked like they could use a pep talk. Coach didn't look too engaged.

rivercitysledge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder what Mark will do when one of the forbidden players get back on the team Rodney or Mike... this will be very interesting

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member

Team US was terrible. Mental breakdowns by SVB and Schmidt left no chance of winning. They looked like they could use a pep talk. Coach didn't look too engaged.

Well then we will give it another go next year, and every year after that that the powers let us. Team USA's game is like mine up and down and yes they have been down for awhile but this is the way the game goes and I look forward to better days.

Team Europe is tough and we will need to dig deep to put up a fight.

I wonder what Mark will do when one of the forbidden players get back on the team Rodney or Mike... this will be very interesting

Count on it happening. He will have a lot of explaining to do.

The best coach in the world can't take 3rd tier talent against true world class players. It is impossible. You need to put in your best. The politics and miss manners crap gets us nowhere.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But in the end he was let down by the inability of his players to develop a genuine work ethic.- SVB excepted. There was a massive difference between the atmosphere in the two practice rooms in Blackpool.
The Euros would arrive by 11am each day while first US players showed up two hours later, With a full schedule of things that needed his attention, Mark mistakenly believed that these players were seasoned enough to take responsibility for their own actions.

Wow. Trashing the players - who Mark picked - and doing so in Mark's name. I sincerely doubt he would have wanted you to post this.

dnschmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jesus could be the coach and that wouldn't change a thing. SVB's clearly our best player who, according to the OP was hard working and dedicated. So what, he got drilled. Players with talent win games not coaches. Phil Jackson did a hell of a lot better with Michael and Scotty that he's doing with the Knicks. Who cares who the coach is, we need better players. Annex the Philippines and we might win. Then Efren could be the coach.

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jesus could be the coach and that wouldn't change a thing. SVB's clearly our best player who, according to the OP was hard working and dedicated. So what, he got drilled. Players with talent win games not coaches. Phil Jackson did a hell of a lot better with Michael and Scotty that he's doing with the Knicks. Who cares who the coach is, we need better players. Annex the Philippines and we might win. Then Efren could be the coach.

Too bad they're no longer a protectorate of the U.S.

Diego Lugano

Registered
Please no more Mark Wilson as USA team coach.

Yeah Mark Wilson just see and do nothing not like Europe coach always talk and motivate player after win rack.

Mark Wilson not helping Van Boening when he needs Moral boost :(

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He may not be able to hand pick players but he will be able to hand pick his back staff who are willing to travel and did a great job last year :thumbup:
This years MC will be a closer affair. IMO America will bring it home in 2017 - just need to get this younger crop of players on a par with Euro players :thumbup:

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Where did you get the idea that there are some FORBIDDEN players. In 2014 some players were replaced on the basis that the Captain felt that his selections would do a better job and meld together more easily. There was nothing wrong with the morale of Team USA. The Euros just played better
Also some players made a personal decision that they the did not want to stay involved.
But as far as I am aware nobody is officially excluded from joining the selection process.

Palmerfan

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Captain my not make the difference

Good News - Mark Wilson has decided to carry on as Captain of the US Mosconi Team. He is the first USA NON PLAYING Captain to get two consecutive terms.

He must have mixed feelings about losing his right to hand pick a complete team as Matchroom have come up with a plan to use their own rankings to fill three of the five spots. But Mark was handed a tough, time consuming task to raise money to publicise team activities. But in the end he was let down by the inability of his players to develop a genuine work ethic.- SVB excepted. There was a massive difference between the atmosphere in the two practice rooms in Blackpool.

So maybe he will be able to devote more time to this aspect instead of his more administrative role he got bogged down with in his first term.

He may be the best man for the job...certainly debatable, I like Varner who captained the last winning team - or Archer as a playing captain or a non-playing captain. I just don't know of any American Captain that can configure a team that can compete with:

1. Darren Appleton
2. Niels Feijen
3. Thorston Hohmann
4. Mika Immonen
5. Take your pick (Shaw, Souquet, Boyes, Peach, Van den Berg...etc)

If the Euro's play well and our best 5 play well, IMO Team Europe wins convincingly. So it would take the Americans playing to the best of their ability and getting some luck/rolls in their favor while Team Europe would have to come out flat and play below their potential for a US Team win...thats a big ask IMO. I will always root for the Americans but I can't see this MC "exhibition" becoming competitive again for a good 4-5+ years when our current younger talent has developed. Again we may steal one as we did a few years ago...but Europe's top talent (1 thru 5 at least) is better than ours, so it would take a pretty big upset to steal one in the near future.

30REBORNFAN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I like Wilson and believe he deserves at least a second shot at this. However, I thought he was brought in as captain to specifically address the points above?

Morale and getting to the practice tables in good time should surely fall under the remit of the captain? If not then why not simply ditch the non-playing captain concept altogether and let one of the senior players decide the running order?

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look at the European tournament calendar and then look at the USA tournament calendar.

If a pro player is going to be successful, he has to stay competitively sharp.

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
I like Wilson and believe he deserves at least a second shot at this. However, I thought he was brought in as captain to specifically address the points above?

Morale and getting to the practice tables in good time should surely fall under the remit of the captain? If not then why not simply ditch the non-playing captain concept altogether and let one of the senior players decide the running order?

Well stated, you are more diplomatic than I am for sure.
Players play, coach's coach.
Wilson did not cut it; he was a spectator, a mummy. The U.S. team should have been working out 2 hours before the Euros and 2 hours after.

I am the coach, you do as I tell you, or suffer consequences, if you don't like it stay home, I will replace you tomorrow. I am not a player, I am not here to be your friend, I am here to coach and train you, to get the best out of your god given ability to play a game.

I am in charge and in control of every situation. You get in the practice room at 9 am, you stop when I say you stop. We are not traveling across the ocean for you to sleep until 12:00.

Let me coach and you play, when it's all over we celebrate, win or lose.

He may as well watched it on the stream, his presence as a leader was nowhere to be seen. Some of the things that were going on needed to be addressed right there on the spot, he sat there with a dopey look on his face while his players were having a meltdown.

I heard the commentator say,Coach Mark Wilson may have to address this later on in the hotel room.Yea, let's wait until the building burns down before we try to escape, another Rocket Scientist afraid to open his mouth, or not aware of what was happening right in front of him.

He should have said Coach Mark Wilson better call time out or in between games have a talk with his players, this is getting out of control, these guys are falling apart mentally.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look at the European tournament calendar and then look at the USA tournament calendar.

If a pro player is going to be successful, he has to stay competitively sharp.

Ok, looked at it. Tell me how the European calendar compares to the events in the US?

The Euro Tour currently shows 4 events on their calendar (plus 1 completed since the last Mosconi), although the Matchroom announcement mentions a 5th in Germany in June. Lets say they eventually add one or two more.

Let's see, in the US by the time the next Mosconi comes around there will have been 2 Turning Stones, Us Open, SBE, Derby, US Bar Tables, World's 14.1 Event, and a number of other huge events such as Texas Open and a few large events in NY and LA areas.

European superiority doesn't extend to the events being offered. Maybe another reason why the likes Appleton, Shaw, Mika, and Hohmann are all here.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, looked at it. Tell me how the European calendar compares to the events in the US?

The Euro Tour currently shows 4 events on their calendar (plus 1 completed since the last Mosconi), although the Matchroom announcement mentions a 5th in Germany in June. Lets say they eventually add one or two more.

Let's see, in the US by the time the next Mosconi comes around there will have been 2 Turning Stones, Us Open, SBE, Derby, US Bar Tables, World's 14.1 Event, and a number of other huge events such as Texas Open and a few large events in NY and LA areas.

European superiority doesn't extend to the events being offered. Maybe another reason why the likes Appleton, Shaw, Mika, and Hohmann are all here.

4 Events in Europe you say? Are you looking at the same EPBF web site that I am? Add that to the US events that the Europeans participate in and they are clearly tournament tougher.

Last edited: