Dufferin house cue wood

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
Hey guys... What was the most common handle wood that was used on Dufferin house cues? I have a few that have the red leaf on the bottom. A google search came up Angico/maple ...... I did a search on here but so many things come up without the answer...... Thanks for any info...

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Angico, AKA Patagonian rosewood, AKA curupay, AKA anadenanthara macrocarpa. Not a true rosewood.

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
[ IMG_4224.jpg
What does this appear to be?

thoffen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Angico, AKA Patagonian rosewood, AKA curupay, AKA anadenanthara macrocarpa. Not a true rosewood.

Looking it up I see some pieces that can be pretty attractive. It's certainly hard enough to use for cues. I wonder if there grain is tight enough to provide visual interest in small pieces and how stable it is when being turned.

But I put it on my list of things to look for and try out. Have encountered a lot of woods that seem to make sense for cues but don't seem to be used. I wonder if this is function of customers choosing their woods in customs and only being able to be knowledgeable about a few species. Kind of like fish for eating. So much good, plentiful stuff out there, but no demand.

When I plan on getting started (if it ever happens), I'm just gonna make the cues I want to make and sell the ones that turn out instead of collecting orders. Hopefully that means a few interesting but little known woods floating around.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I bought a few thousand pieces of wood that came from Dufferin when they closed and there was a lot of Purple Heart, Ziricote, Bocote, Cocobolo, Ebony and Pau Ferra.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I bought a few thousand pieces of wood that came from Dufferin when they closed and there was a lot of Purple Heart, Ziricote, Bocote, Cocobolo, Ebony and Pau Ferra.

Are you sure it wasn't angico? Very similar in almost every way except angico darkens with age and pau ferro doesn't so much.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Are you sure it wasn't angico? Very similar in almost every way except angico darkens with age and pau ferro doesn't so much.
It has not darkened. They called it Marado, but Pau Ferra or Santos Rosewood are more common names.