Revo Tip Replacement

or1pkt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a couple customers with revo shafts wanting new tips, any advice would be appreciated from those that have done it. I know the red pad on them is a big deal to watch out to not mess with.
NOTE: I have a porper lathe and have been doing tip and shaft work (on the side) for 15 years so I am not an amateur just like many of us I am assuming, I have not dealt with revos yet. Also if anyone wants to PM me instead of talking public that's fine too.
Thanks in advance

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Make some tapered collets, so you hold the shaft securely, use masking tape to cover the shaft, ferrule and most of the tip silencer.
Then it`s pretty much like a regular job. Glue and take down the tip with some sharp HSS.
Use a razor to trim the tip while you still have the masking tape on.
When you have it trimmed down, remove the masking tape and very carefully trim the tip flush.
Should you get glue on the shaft itself, don`t panic! Use a q-tip with acetone and rub away the glue.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Big piece of advice, when burnishing the side of the tip, DO NOT burnish the vault plate as it will melt under the heat of burnishing. I had a customer that brought me a revo for a tip change and it had black smudges just below the tip pad, extending down to the carbon fiber area of the shaft. This was caused by the previous 'repair' guy burnishing everything in a careless manner. I pointed it out to the customer before doing any work.
Dave