Covering rails with simonis

evacc44

Hello. I am refelting my table with Simonis. I've only ever refelted using the regular stretchy felt and I'm having a really difficult time with getting the simonis to sit right on the ends of the rails.

The side pockets seem to be okay. I fold that over and leave a crease at the normal place, but the non-side pocket ends seem to be impossible to cover without leaving wrinkles.

Normally the end pocket rail covering is just pulled and then staples applied over and over again with stretching to get rid of the wrinkles, but the simonis doesn't stretch.

Anyone have some tips for me?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Hello. I am refelting my table with Simonis. I've only ever refelted using the regular stretchy felt and I'm having a really difficult time with getting the simonis to sit right on the ends of the rails.

The side pockets seem to be okay. I fold that over and leave a crease at the normal place, but the non-side pocket ends seem to be impossible to cover without leaving wrinkles.

Normally the end pocket rail covering is just pulled and then staples applied over and over again with stretching to get rid of the wrinkles, but the simonis doesn't stretch.

Anyone have some tips for me?

Seyberts.com Simonis cloth installation DVDs.

evacc44

I'm looking to avoid waiting a week+ for the DVDs to arrive. I wish I could just buy them online somewhere and download the videos.

I'm only having an issue covering the corner pocket ends of the rails. Is there anyone that has used simonis that could give me an idea of how I should be trying to cover it? Should I be using a fold like I do for the side pockets or is there a way to do it without a fold?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I'm looking to avoid waiting a week+ for the DVDs to arrive. I wish I could just buy them online somewhere and download the videos.

I'm only having an issue covering the corner pocket ends of the rails. Is there anyone that has used simonis that could give me an idea of how I should be trying to cover it? Should I be using a fold like I do for the side pockets or is there a way to do it without a fold?

That's the purpose of the DVDs, makes no sence to me anymore to give away my knowledge for free so customers can save money. How do i get paid if i give it away for free, thank you's don't pay my cell phone bill. Sorry to sound like a dick, but 34 years of knowledge, i had to pay through the nose to get that everyday until i built a reputation and became in demand.

BrownDawg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pull the cloth tight over the end and put two staples at least one inch from the end. Pull the top towards the end and staple the length. Now here's where I differ from Glen, ever so slightly pull the bottom back the other way and staple. Trim. You're probably pulling too tight as you're used to the "stretchy" cloth, easy does it is the way to go. Good luck!

Travis3c

AV Pool Nut
Silver Member
All I am going to say. I learned how to do great rail recovering from the Simonis DVDs. I purchased mine back when Glen announced the release of them. I also got to watch my friend Sundown Donny recover my rails years ago and I watched him. I am a monkey see monkey do type of person. Being mechanically inclined also helps. The DVDS really helped me out. The trick with placing a cloth relief curve on the corners angles really help out.

pJXc7za.jpg

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
All I am going to say. I learned how to do great rail recovering from the Simonis DVDs. I purchased mine back when Glen announced the release of them. I also got to watch my friend Sundown Donny recover my rails years ago and I watched him. I am a monkey see monkey do type of person. Being mechanically inclined also helps. The DVDS really helped me out. The trick with placing a cloth relief curve on the corners angles really help out.

pJXc7za.jpg

Such a nice job!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
If you look at my staple pattern, you'll see i angle my staples, r3ason for that is because the staple covers a wider area on the cloth, and because if you use a razor to cut the excess cloth off, you don't have to worry about the cloth pulling away from the staple because both legs of the staple are in the same weave row, an angled staple covers more grain weave.

Attachments

• img20171205_003326.jpg
    img20171205_003326.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 441

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
If you look at my staple pattern, you'll see i angle my staples, r3ason for that is because the staple covers a wider area on the cloth, and because if you use a razor to cut the excess cloth off, you don't have to worry about the cloth pulling away from the staple because both legs of the staple are in the same weave row, an angled staple covers more grain weave.

Thanks for that info Glen... Never even thought of stapling at angles.... on purpose.

Last edited: