What pro player still plays with a Meucci

Steve Stough

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What ever happened to pro players playing with production cues, is there any pro's out there still playing with a Meucci or McDermott cue...does the meucci or McDermott not play as well as a custom made cue or are we subjected to say I play with a Szam/Scruggs/Tad to impress or strike fear into your opponent.

Craig Fales

Registered bubinga user
Silver Member
Comparing Mueccis and McDermotts is like comparing apples and oranges...the McDermott is a much better cue...the whole history of Mueccis is that they use cheap polystyrene like plastics that crack and fall apart...

FLOG378

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meucci Cue

Cliff Joiner still plays with a Meucci! And he is the best American One-Pocket player out there.

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
Steve Stough said:
What ever happened to pro players playing with production cues, is there any pro's out there still playing with a Meucci or McDermott cue...does the meucci or McDermott not play as well as a custom made cue or are we subjected to say I play with a Szam/Scruggs/Tad to impress or strike fear into your opponent.

Thomas Engert still plays with the McDermott he first learned the game on, although he says the shaft is now much thinner than when he first purchased it due to rubbing & cleaning it.

Jim Rempe shoots with a Meucci.

On a sidenote, I remember a funny story re: Meuccis. Supposedly true but with the passing of time, who knows....Cornbread Red (Billy Burge) came outside the poolroom after a night of gambling and discovered the rear side window of his car had been smashed out. Cornbread started the
I can't believe this...who would do such a thing, etc. His buddy that was with him offered him solace in that the window can be replaced, etc.
Cornbread pulled his head back outside of the empty window hole and said
"It's not the window. Somebody threw in another Meucci!"

One of my brothers swears by his Meucci. I tried it several times but I don't care for the whippy shaft. Some of them are pretty though.

MrLucky

Pool Fanatic!!
Silver Member
Steve Stough said:
Where is Thomas Engert from and how old is he
Birth Date October 23, 1965
Birth Place Neuss, Germany
Sponsors McDermott Handcrafted Cues
Turned Pro February 1995

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Craig Fales said:
Comparing Mueccis and McDermotts is like comparing apples and oranges...the McDermott is a much better cue...the whole history of Mueccis is that they use cheap polystyrene like plastics that crack and fall apart...

I've heard stuff like that ever since I've been on this forum, but I've had my Meucci now for almost 12 years and it's still in tip top shape. Maybe the cue I got was the exception rather than the rule.

Irish634

Whatever
Silver Member
StraightPoolIU said:
I've heard stuff like that ever since I've been on this forum, but I've had my Meucci now for almost 12 years and it's still in tip top shape. Maybe the cue I got was the exception rather than the rule.

I don't personally care for them but a good friend of mine swears by Meucci and won't shoot with anything else.

hackerda

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got my Meucci PP2 about 10 years ago, and it is still a very solid cue. Yes the shaft is very whippy, but as long as you take your time and make sure to follow through your shot; you will be just fine. I also hade a Meucci David Howard from the early '90s before they had the dot shafts and that thing shot lights out.

dean

ccn7

Ole Pool Fool
Silver Member
instroke75 said:
they make really good firewood
Is this your opinion, having owned one, or just passing on hear say. If you did own one which model was it and why was it not at all to your liking. I'M just curious as i have a Meucci made in 83 before the dot shafts and its a pretty good hitting cue. I just had it refinished and new wrap a new ferrule and tip put on and i'm a very happy Meucci owner.

instroke75

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
happy that you're happy!!!!!!!!

ccn7 said:
Is this your opinion, having owned one, or just passing on hear say. If you did own one which model was it and why was it not at all to your liking. I'M just curious as i have a Meucci made in 83 before the dot shafts and its a pretty good hitting cue. I just had it refinished and new wrap a new ferrule and tip put on and i'm a very happy Meucci owner.
whoopee ding dong, i'm happy that you're happy! i have owned several models from early 80s meucci originals to early 90s sneaky petes, don't like them personally, if you do great! i was actually trying to be funny, if i wasn't = whoooops, but since you did ask i do think they're garbageeeeeeeeeeeeee! and i don't really care about you're opinion because i'd rather play with a dufferin house cue than a freaking piece of firewood like your meucci! may you shoot many balls into the rails with it!!!!!!!!!!!

Eddie4269

Billiard Equpment Tech
Silver Member
Early Meucci's were good cues. Hell, for the most part they weren't even really production cues til the late 80's.

ccn7

Ole Pool Fool
Silver Member
instroke75 said:
whoopee ding dong, i'm happy that you're happy! i have owned several models from early 80s meucci originals to early 90s sneaky petes, don't like them personally, if you do great! i was actually trying to be funny, if i wasn't = whoooops, but since you did ask i do think they're garbageeeeeeeeeeeeee! and i don't really care about you're opinion because i'd rather play with a dufferin house cue than a freaking piece of firewood like your meucci! may you shoot many balls into the rails with it!!!!!!!!!!!
No need to get all bent out of shape about it. You gave your opinion, i gave mine..You want to insult me and my Meucci go for it. You probably couldnt hit a ball into a rail with any cue.Your attempt to be funny probably equals your attempt to play pool. The quote "they make good firewood" has been around a long time so dont think your so cleaver as to come up with that saying all by your genius self.

instroke75

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
truth hurts doesn't it

ccn7 said:
No need to get all bent out of shape about it. You gave your opinion, i gave mine..You want to insult me and my Meucci go for it. You probably couldnt hit a ball into a rail with any cue.Your attempt to be funny probably equals your attempt to play pool. The quote "they make good firewood" has been around a long time so dont think your so cleaver as to come up with that saying all by your genius self.
aahhhhhhhhh poor baby, did i hit a sore spot with the balls into the rails comment? (truth hurt?)

instroke75 said:

If you don't care about hearing other opinions then why are you here? After all, this is a forum for pool players to exchange their opinions, is it not? Your response to ccn7 was pure class (not). :rolleyes:

Fats

Craig Fales

Registered bubinga user
Silver Member
Sounds like Instroke75 needs to follow the path of playboy...personally I owned one from the '70s...I forgot the model but it played damn good I'm just thrown off by all that plastic...

cuetrip

Rob Hardman Cues
Silver Member
instroke75 said:

So you don't like them, you think a Meucci is a "freaking piece of firewood", yet you've owned several of them? Why would you have owned several of them if you hate them so much?
I don't get it. You're an idiot.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I personally like meucci cues. I have these that I found photos of at the below website, and a few others I can't find number listing for right now off hand. ...

http://www.discountpoolcues.com/meuccioriginal6cue.htm

http://www.discountpoolcues.com/meuccioldieseries.htm

this oldie series above, the O-1, I had Paul Drexler take the urethane off yrs ago and rewrap the linen to leave it exposed.

But the one I play with is a 97-15 which I also like very much. Its all about what feels good to you and what you are used to. In the end I found I liked the covered wrap better than the exposed. Its no different than a good sneaky pete feel

Last edited: