Players HXT Skinny

Sir Scratchalot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Based on years playing with an antique Adam cue whose original shaft was 12mm with a short ferrule and really liking it, I decided to try an HXT skinny (11.75mm) for my Steve Kornele cue; hoping for a similar playability. Not so much.

I only say that because the old Adam shaft wasn't trying to be an LD shaft, while the HXT is. As such, it really juices the cue ball...a lot more than the standard 13mm shafts that came with the S.K. cue...and a lot more than the Adam shaft. Also, it's pretty whippy.

As I am not used to LD shafts, I am having some issues. However, I am also seeing some awesome potential with this shaft. The hit is good and the control is there and waiting to be properly tapped and utilized. Some amazing things can be achieved with this shaft, it's just gonna take some time and dedication. I'm also impressed with the Kamui soft that comes standard on it. I like harder tips, but I'm liking the feel of this one.

Just for fun, I had a guy who shoots with a Barnhart that has a Jacoby Edge hybrid shaft shoot a few balls with it, since he's used to LD. He didn't miss and he was smiling...he was very impressed with the HXT skinny. Made me feel better about my purchase, though I have some time and effort ahead of me to get better with it. I've a feeling though that getting better with it will see my overall game get better.

It's not what I was originally after in a shaft, but I think it's gonna be a real good thing in the end.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ha :thumbup:

Now just aim where you exactly want to aim instead of using "autopilot corrected aiming" and you're halfway there.
Also stroke with far less force (esp on left/right english, for example when OB is at the rail etc) and with a very light grip.
Also waiting until the leather get a bit harder helps ;)

Shots with full force require more practise than with a 13mm std shaft, though!

I regularly change betwenn 2 cues, to stay sharp, and it helps and is fun!

Cheers and just have fun!
M

Sir Scratchalot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks M! Yeah, coming to terms with that added energy and control is gonna take some getting used to.

I was on the fence about it after several games last night, wondering if I'd made an error in buying it. However, after having that other fellow put it through its paces and seeing what it was capable of, what it was meant for, I felt better about it. As I said, he was pleasantly surprised by it and really enjoyed it. He had previously hit my S.K.with the the standard shaft and had trouble pocketing balls. With the HXT the balls dropped from the first stroke for him. It's a good shaft and tip.

My efforts with it steadily improved after that.

Anyway, it's going to be fun figuring this shaft out and your advice will help a bunch. Thanks again!

D

Last edited:

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is this the first LD shaft you've used? If not how does it compare to the higher end shafts?

Sir Scratchalot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is this the first LD shaft you've used? If not how does it compare to the higher end shafts?

Aside from a Predator 314 shaft about 18yrs ago, this would be my first LD shaft. I've demoed an OB+ Pro & Classic on my cue and, without being able to compare side by side, I'd say the OB+ Pro is overall better, not so much the Classic. The Classic just didn't feel as involving while the Pro was nice and solid with good feedback. Is it twice the price better? Hard to say with my limited experience. As mentioned above, a fellow very familiar with LD shafts gave a thumbs up to the HXT. Another fellow who shoots Predator (cue & shaft) liked it, as well, though he said the feedback felt a little vague, because of the Kamui soft.

The Kamui soft does feel a little more damp than I'm used to (I like a firm tip). However, this tip DOES NOT flatten or mushroom. I don't like soft tips, but this one has earned my respect.

I've also shot a few balls with a Jacoby Edge Hybrid and was very impressed with it, but it was on a different, more expensive, cue so I can't really compare it to the HXT.

I hope this helps some.

Sir Scratchalot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Upon thinking about it just a little more, let me try to explain exactly why I feel the OB+ Pro is maybe a little better.

I could be wrong about this as I didn't get to test them side by side and the table was a lot different from the ones I normally play on BUT, I felt like the OB shaft was more playable right off the bat. The transition from normal shaft to LD shaft seemed to be easier, more natural, with the OB.

I like the HXT and feel it's easily worth the $101 or so dollars you'll pay for it. I play on 9ft tables and my shooting with it is coming along nicely. Having said that, one of the shafts that will be on the new cue I'm having made will be an OB+ Pro.

TwistedToby

I've recently purchased an OB+ Pro shaft for my Schon STL3. This is the first low deflection shaft that I've owned. It has taken a little getting used to, however once you've gotten used to aiming straight instead of adjusting for deflection you can control the cue ball quite a bit more (at least in my opinion). It's a great shaft and with some more time getting used to it I feel it will be quite dangerous.

Never played with the HXT but from other posts I've read it's a decent shaft for the price.

TwistedToby
Player: Schon STL-3
Shaft: OB+ Pro

gardener28

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OB+ classic is my favorite and players HXT is a solid shaft for the price.
Hard to beat for only $100.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sir Scratchalot, how's the LD playing coming along with the HXT?
Did I read that right - you're planning a new cue with an OB LD? :D

I recently changed my R360 from an Everest to an Onyx. Boy, did that make a difference. But you seem to get along fine with your Kamui soft...

Cheers!

Sir Scratchalot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I recently changed my R360 from an Everest to an Onyx. Boy, did that make a difference. But you seem to get along fine with your Kamui soft...

Cheers!
M.G., it's coming along nicely. Thanks for asking.

You did hear me right, the new cue I'm having made will feature one standard 13mm shaft and one OB+ Pro shaft, both with matching rings to the cue. It won't be a super glamorous cue, but it will be distinctive and, hopefully, a good player.

As for the Kamui soft, I like it well enough to keep it for its lifespan. After that I'll probably try something new, like maybe that Onyx. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Cheers!

Is the Onyx tip a medium/hard tip?

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aside from a Predator 314 shaft about 18yrs ago, this would be my first LD shaft. I've demoed an OB+ Pro & Classic on my cue and, without being able to compare side by side, I'd say the OB+ Pro is overall better, not so much the Classic. The Classic just didn't feel as involving while the Pro was nice and solid with good feedback. Is it twice the price better? Hard to say with my limited experience. As mentioned above, a fellow very familiar with LD shafts gave a thumbs up to the HXT. Another fellow who shoots Predator (cue & shaft) liked it, as well, though he said the feedback felt a little vague, because of the Kamui soft.

The Kamui soft does feel a little more damp than I'm used to (I like a firm tip). However, this tip DOES NOT flatten or mushroom. I don't like soft tips, but this one has earned my respect.

I've also shot a few balls with a Jacoby Edge Hybrid and was very impressed with it, but it was on a different, more expensive, cue so I can't really compare it to the HXT.

I hope this helps some.

Yeah it helps me quite a bit. I can't afford to buy (and try) all those LD shafts. I may just go with the HXT, or OB shaft.
Thanks

Sir Scratchalot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah it helps me quite a bit. I can't afford to buy (and try) all those LD shafts. I may just go with the HXT, or OB shaft.
Thanks

If there are any billiards stores close to you find out if they have any demo shafts. That's how I got to try the OB shafts on my cue. I took a $100 chance on the HXT shaft, but I'm not comfortable buying a $200+ shaft without getting to hit some with it first.

boosaboos

Registered
I own the regular 12.75 HXT shaft.. And it's pretty awesome. It's like a mix of LD and Standard shaft.
Which is perfect for me for now, my game has gotten better playing consistently with a decent cue.

I personally like thinner shafts but I'm stuck with what I have now.
I was thinking of getting the HXT skinny. Would you recommend it? Or should I get an OB or a Predator?