How to apply patches to JB Rugged

The Verbalist

. . .
Silver Member
Looking to customize my JB rugged case. Looking into adding patches to it, not league patches but patches of things I like that would be the iron on type, any ideas for getting them to stick? Thanks

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
It's hard to get adhesives to stick to nylon. Superglue might work but it will be there long after the paper/plastic patch has worn away.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
if the patch doesn't have adhesive on it then you can use contact cement, Barges or Weldwood are two good brands. Follow the directions exactly and the patch will stick permanently.

Be sure to put some weight on it. I usually use rubber bands or something else to apply pressure and put some weight on top of that.

We do actually put patches on cases when people want their names on an already made case.

FWIW I have seen some pretty damn cool cases done up with after market patches. Some glued on some sewn on.

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
if the patch doesn't have adhesive on it then you can use contact cement, Barges or Weldwood are two good brands. Follow the directions exactly and the patch will stick permanently.

Be sure to put some weight on it. I usually use rubber bands or something else to apply pressure and put some weight on top of that.

We do actually put patches on cases when people want their names on an already made case.

FWIW I have seen some pretty damn cool cases done up with after market patches. Some glued on some sewn on.

John, what kind of needle would you recommend for sewing and what kind of thread?

ZeroSkylineX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If not looking for a permanent fixture, I believe double sided outdoor tape works well. Never tried it though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

nateobot

Undercover FBI Agent
Silver Member
We use this product to put badges on our sons scout uniform. It works great! I would guess instead of putting your case in the dryer, you could run a hair dryer over the top of the patch for a little bit.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
If you don't have the sewing skills or access to a sewing machine, then take it to a shoe repair shop.

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just brainstorming :yikes:

Gorilla glue

The two sided HeatnBond ultrahold tape - sewing section Walmart

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's hard to get adhesives to stick to nylon. Superglue might work but it will be there long after the paper/plastic patch has worn away.

Interesting... Nylon is traditionally one of the easier plastics to bond. What adhesives did you have problems with?

jb1911

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I put some 3M velcro on my rugged case last night and taped it tightly in place. This morning I took the tape off and the velcro fell right off. Now we know that the glue on 3M velcro won't even try to stick to a rugged case.