Looking to Purchase a New Cue *** Questions and Advice Please***

jtothea

Registered
Hi everyone, I'm looking to purchase a new cue soon and am looking for suggestions and feedback. I currently have a Players Professional Series that was a gift about 13-14 years ago. Plays good and has been well taken care of but Time for an upgrade!

Cosmetically speaking, I would really like a cue like this - birds eye maple, 4 points, preferably with some color, and a white/brown or white/black linen wrap is a must. (bushka style look i know). However, I've had a hard time finding any production cues that have this traditional look without breaking the bank. My budget is around $400 and I've seen several Joss cues that are very close to what I like, (most are flamed birch wood, or curly maple…etc with black points).

Are their any other production cues that would be a good fit? I stumbled across some Karella cues for around $200 and love the look, its exactly cosmetically what i've been looking for. But am skeptical about the quality as I've never heard of them before? Any advice on these cues or what brand they are similar too? or should I stick with a Joss (Jos45 is what i'm eyeballing but it more than twice as much as the Karella)

All feedback appreciated, Thanks!

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm playing with a Joss cue for 5 years, and I had 0 problem with that cue. I will highly recommend you a Joss product.
For a 400-500$ you can look also in s/h market, here on Sale forum you should find couple cues for that money.

Karella is made in China, I don't know if you like that. If China is not a problem, you can look at Fury, Universal cues.

ChicagoJay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
some mcdermott cues have that classic look. you should also check out ebay lots of good deals

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you considered buying a new shaft for your current butt? That would be the cheap way to get a cue that plays as well as one can. OB, Tiger and Predator has a wide variety of joint styles, im sure youll find one that fits on your cue.

If you are not looking to get a low deflection high performance shaft, then its all different. I'd look at McDermott, Schön and Joss first. Good luck on your search :) I play with a Schon myself and I would highly recommend one to anyone, it plays really nice and is well made.

Let us know what you end up with :wink:

jtothea

Registered
I contacted Schmelke about a week ago and talked to someone about making a cue with the look I want. Still waiting for an email with prices and such. Hopefully they'll get back to me and let me know. I'll post pictures with whatever I end up with. Hopefully will have a cue in hand by next month

frankyj51

Registered
Man I have $20-2k dollar sticks & out of the hundreds I've shot with in the past 26 years or so. I have to say Michael Erwin pool cues are the absolute best next to Richard black! Uhh umm Vascatti trumped them all but they are a very hard stick to find but whatever you do!! Do not, do not get a Mucci!! Unless you really like a soft unnatural soft hitting stick. 400$ dollars I would buy 2 sticks. Fine line & lucadsi or whatever you want.. Just go around and ask to shoot a few shots with other ppls sticks...I still would mile Erwin stick BC he's dead & has a good rep in the custom cue department...88 Richard black then the best shooting/sexiest cue Mike Erwin made...then the over priced George balbuska 85% approval on it....fine line cheaper & shoots better than 98% of all cues ever made....dude get a Mike Erwin cue!!! I can't tell you that enough

IMG_20160118_150342.jpg