Break Cue Help

jazzyjeff92

Registered
I want a players perspective on break cues, I read all the reviews and still undecided about them. So please any help on what you have experience with a certain maker or model let me know. thanks again

I currently use a Pechauer sneaky with a break tip on it

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
I have a Lucasi break cue that breaks into a shorter jump cue as well (an L2000JB, I believe; it was a gift, and I only just now looked for the model).

I really like that I have dedicated cues for breaks and jumps, and it seems to perform both functions very well. Never had a problem with the uniloc joints binding up or getting loose.

Hope that helps.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try Mezz break cues before you decide.
Their Deep Impact Pro R and H shafts is in my opinion, the best production break shaft on the market.

vladmin

Break'em dry !
Silver Member
My reco is to try as many break cues as you can and decide for yourself.

Personally I went through 3 different Mezz break cues, Tiger IceBreaker, BK1/2/3, Lucasi, Lomax and have finally decided to keep my original Poison VX 2.9 which is their original jump/break cue.

We are all subjective based on our own experience and if 5 people say that for ex BK3 is the best breaker out there it doesnt necessarily mean that it will be the best for you

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
My reco is to try as many break cues as you can and decide for yourself.

Personally I went through 3 different Mezz break cues, Tiger IceBreaker, BK1/2/3, Lucasi, Lomax and have finally decided to keep my original Poison VX 2.9 which is their original jump/break cue.

We are all subjective based on our own experience and if 5 people say that for ex BK3 is the best breaker out there it doesnt necessarily mean that it will be the best for you

What he said I tried about just every one out there break and break jumps and I ended up getting a poison after all said and done it just fits me best jumps how I like and breaks how I like imo there the best back for the buck

jazzyjeff92

Registered
Thanks everyone, I will defiantly try the Mezz, Posion and Tiger. I know some sales people have partnerships with certain makers and try to lean you one way or another. But I'm defiantly going to try your suggestions.

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pete Ohmen (Omen custom cues) makes a fantastic J/B cue and is what I use today.

gunderjj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
break cue recommendations

I tried a lot of break cues before. Most of them were okay, but the best one I found for years was the M.G. Orange Crusher. Loved that break cue. Had a chance to try a mezz break cue about a year and half ago. Liked it so much sold the orange crusher and bought a power break pro. Love the Pro H shaft. Works great for hard breaks and soft breaks. Used one of the newer Kai break cues also, but I still like the pro H shaft better than the shaft that comes with the Kai.

My recommendation to you will be based on price point. If you dont care about price pick up a mezz break cue with the Pro H shaft. You will never break better. If price is an issue try to pick up an orange crusher used. Should be less than $150 if you find one.

JRusso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been using the Joss purple heart Thor Hammer "light" (its at about 19.1) for the last two months or so. I did swap the stock tip for the Samsura break tip pretty quickly,but other than that I would say its good to go. The price is reasonable, but honestly I could not compare to some of the more technology driven break cues like OB, Pred, Mezz etc. Unfortunately I don't have the experience with them.
That being said there are days where the CB squats dead in the middle of the table and I'm good for 1-2 balls in consistently. Some days the CB goes where it wants and I couldn't drop a ball to save my life.....
Same table by the way.
The Indian not the arrow theory clearly applies here as in most things.

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been using the Joss purple heart Thor Hammer "light" (its at about 19.1) for the last two months or so. I did swap the stock tip for the Samsura break tip pretty quickly,but other than that I would say its good to go. The price is reasonable, but honestly I could not compare to some of the more technology driven break cues like OB, Pred, Mezz etc. Unfortunately I don't have the experience with them.
That being said there are days where the CB squats dead in the middle of the table and I'm good for 1-2 balls in consistently. Some days the CB goes where it wants and I couldn't drop a ball to save my life.....
Same table by the way.
The Indian not the arrow theory clearly applies here as in most things.

I played with Joss Thor Hammer, it is a good cue, there no reason to think that Joss is not as good as Predator, Mezz etc. Quality and tehnology is present in Joss cues. If you don't have constant results in your break you should practice more, cue is working fine.

frankyj51

Registered
Break cues are overrated man. All you need to do is buy is a 19-21 oz $100 or less reproduction cue or go to dicks sporting goods and get a stick with a fiberglass shaft. Put a medium tip triangle and hard ferral. Then you have a break & bar stick. I've cracked cue balls before & played 26 years, I know what up. What good is a stick you can only break with. I won't ever buy a stick I can't break & play with

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks everyone, I will defiantly try the Mezz, Posion and Tiger. I know some sales people have partnerships with certain makers and try to lean you one way or another. But I'm defiantly going to try your suggestions.

McDermott Stinger. Cheap, and effective.

Sir Scratchalot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I decided to experiment with a jump/break cue and just bought the New Champion Gino Ferrari jump/break for $73 delivered. I like it and feel it does a great job, especially at it's price level. It serves well enough that I likely won't be foolishly (in my opinion) tempted to burn through hundreds of dollars in search of a...um, cue for breaking.

ps - I've no opinion to offer on the jump portion of the cue as I still just kick the ball. Personally, even though I've limited experience in break cues, I do think a break-only cue serves the purpose better than a jump/break.

Last edited: