How do I get wood like this? :)

tomker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yesterday I stumbled on the stock photographs of the Players Cues Classic Series C950:

http://www.ozonebilliards.com/plcuc9.html

I've fallen in love with this cue, or at least this picture. I love the color and grain of the wood and how it looks glossy and glowing and 3-dimensional.

I'm pretty sure I've seen this same wood/stain/finish in the cabin veneers of an expensive Lexus at a car show a few years ago and it was pretty stunning.

There are two reasons why I haven't ordered this cue yet:

1) I'm not even sure the cue looks like this. The only non-stock photo of this cue that I can find is on Amazon and it just looks like regular brown-stained maple in that picture. None of the curly "glowing" grain of the stock photo:

http://www.amazon.com/Players-Cues-C950-Includes-Case/dp/B001FYLVDU

2) I have some reservations about the quality of the cue. Some of the reviews on Ozone complain about the wrap and one reviewer says there's even a gap in the joint. Of course it's an $85 Players cue so you can't expect every one to be a masterpiece. But I would happily spend $200-$300 on a cue that looked like the picture if it was well-made from high-quality materials.

So I guess I'm soliciting ideas about how I can get a good cue that looks like the one in the picture. Should I just buy the Players cue and see what I get, or are there cues from other manufacturers that are more likely to look like this one, or is there some way I can get a custom cue made that looks like this... ? Thanks in advance for any thoughts. :)

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Keep your eyes peeled
Those pretty burl cues go quick

They pop up for sale in the cue machinery section every now and then, in fact there's some super pretty redwood burl there now

It also comes up for sale in the fs section

It's tiresome and sad chasing fantastic woods like those
I love that stuff too, and apparently alot of people as well because they all sell quick when available

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Technically, it's just a veneer of very nicely burled wood ontop of a regular (maple?) butt.
But nevertheless stunning looks!

You can get nicely figured woods from Mezz (EC7 series, but expensive with very goo quality), Fury, Universal or even Cuetec or have a custom made.

Cheers!

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
Burl wood? Wut?

Nonono, the wood you are seeing is sort of averagely figured birdseye maple, not really that hard to get.
Then this maple gets a brown stain and you get this look you are seeing.

The nice 3d effect is down to getting a decent finish on the cue (which the players cues have). The indivdual
figuring will vary, off course a manufacturer tends to select a nice looking cue for their photos. Then some
good picture editing will really make the cue look very good in pictures.

gr. Dave

Last edited:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Redwood Lace Burl is relatively inexpensive and will give you identical color and better figure. It is red with dazzling chatoyance.

tomker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Redwood Lace Burl is relatively inexpensive and will give you identical color and better figure. It is red with dazzling chatoyance.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I hadn't heard the term "chatoyance" but that's exactly what I'm looking for, thank you.

I searched for redwood lace burl and found this similar-looking custom cue from Al Bautista / Black Pearl Cues. I hadn't heard of him or his company before. His web site seems to be down at the moment. I sent him a message on Facebook.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=2323796&postcount=13

Thanks for the info!

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Redwood lace burl

Thanks for the replies guys.

I hadn't heard the term "chatoyance" but that's exactly what I'm looking for, thank you.

I searched for redwood lace burl and found this similar-looking custom cue from Al Bautista / Black Pearl Cues. I hadn't heard of him or his company before. His web site seems to be down at the moment. I sent him a message on Facebook.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=2323796&postcount=13

Thanks for the info!

I have a uncut slab I have been sitting for a couple decades .
Pm me, (maybe ) we can work something out.
What is the fair market price for enough to make a cue out of that the wood has been being dried for a few decades. ???????

Here is a picture of part of the slab, I was using the slab as a back ground for photographing the Varney bem cue in the photo..

tomker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a uncut slab I have been sitting for a couple decades .
Pm me, (maybe ) we can work something out.
What is the fair market price for enough to make a cue out of that the wood has been being dried for a few decades. ???????

Here is a picture of part of the slab, I was using the slab as a back ground for photographing the Varney bem cue in the photo..

Looks beautiful, thanks for the offer, but I wouldn't know what to do with it.

I ended up buying the Players cue online after finding some more pictures of it on eBay. It seems there's a significant amount of variability in the figuring in the wood and color of the stain/finish.

Sort of like the Schon STL 1, I really like that cue too but $500+ is a bit out of my price range. But if you look at pictures of those on eBay, you can see some of them are almost white and others are very dark brown. But I like how the wood looks in all of them.

I will post pictures and write a review of the Players once I get it.