BREAKING NEWS --> Accu-Stats' Fleming Announces International Event

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look no further^^^^^^^if you want to see what is wrong with pool.

This is the best thing to happen to USA pool in a long time , and somebody has to complain.
Jason

Only if the US Open will still be around, if it's not, then it's the same event run by someone else under a different name, not a lot of change there.

Sooo... the matchroom sport post has an interesting profile pic. US Open, brought to you by England LOL

Last edited:

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you listen to the podcast Fleming states that he notified the Behrman's of his intent to hold an event at the hotel and they wished him well and said they would help in whatever way they could.

If they're not upset and feeling stabbed in the back by this the general public shouldn't be either. Pat gets an event to produce and Accu-Stats gets an event to broadcast. The Behrman's get a check and their father's legacy continued. Matchroom gets a U.S. name brand tournament to produce and hopefully grow.

Everyone wins.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Only if the US Open will still be around, if it's not, then it's the same event run by someone else under a different name, not a lot of change there.

Sooo... the matchroom sport post has an interesting profile pic. US Open, brought to you by England LOL

Did you miss the press release and the other threads? The rights to the US Open were bought by Matchroom (which produces the best events on the calendar) and is being moved to Las Vegas next April.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you miss the press release and the other threads? The rights to the US Open were bought by Matchroom (which produces the best events on the calendar) and is being moved to Las Vegas next April.

I think all of the other threads on US Open were after this one.

US Open and US Mosconi cup team, brought to you by Europe LOL

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think he was referring to Pat Fleming's event.

Hello Matchroom.

Will the matchroom US Open be a full 128 player field or do you plan on making a paired down invitational tournament out of the name only?

You mentioned darts and Mosconi Cup ticket sales, but, to the best of my knowledge, a full open tournament has never been attempted/televised by Matchroom before. Do you have a tournament format selected?

Also, what plans did you and the Behrmans have for the 2018 tournament when you signed the deal?

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im grateful that there will be a good event this fall, but why did Pat choose Norfolk, Va ? Wouldn't it work out better for him to do so i his home state ?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hello Matchroom.

Will the matchroom US Open be a full 128 player field or do you plan on making a paired down invitational tournament out of the name only?

You mentioned darts and Mosconi Cup ticket sales, but, to the best of my knowledge, a full open tournament has never been attempted/televised by Matchroom before. Do you have a tournament format selected?

Also, what plans did you and the Behrmans have for the 2018 tournament when you signed the deal?
I think most of your questions are answered in the press release which is now on the AZB main page and/or in Mike Panozzo's thread.

Matchroom ran the World Championships for several years. I think that was 128 or so players.

Last edited:

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im grateful that there will be a good event this fall, but why did Pat choose Norfolk, Va ? Wouldn't it work out better for him to do so i his home state ?

Maybe the proven deal with the hotel and playing space was too hard to beat back in NJ.

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe the proven deal with the hotel and playing space was too hard to beat back in NJ.
I was kinda thinking that as well, but i'm wondering if he feels he has a better chance to get higher caliber players in this area then NJ ? But im sure those reasons will pop up soon enough.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems there are 4 main “press releases”. They each contain slightly different (but not contradictory details). Look at all four for the most complete picture.

1) FB post by BD of Pats International US Open

2) Radio interview between Pat and Mike

3) Press release by matchroom about the Matchroom US Open

3) BD press release about the Matchroom US Open

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, so Pat is calling it the " International U.S. Open" ?

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think most of your questions are answered in the press release which is now on the AZB main page and/or in Mike Panozzo's thread.

Matchroom ran the World Championships for several years. I think that was 128 or so players.

I understand Matchroom has not hesitated in the past to just skip a calendar year when scheduling conflicts arise. I believe they did that for the world cup of pool a couple of years ago. Just skipped it and went on to the next year.

Was this what they and the Behrmans saw fit for the year of 2018? Not give Jayson Shaw a chance to defend the US Open title in the following year and just go right on to April 2019?

Could they have reached out to Pat Fleming and coordinated a little bit better so as to not screw over the players/sport/fans?

I don't see that detail addressed in the press releases.

arcstats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand Matchroom has not hesitated in the past to just skip a calendar year when scheduling conflicts arise. I believe they did that for the world cup of pool a couple of years ago. Just skipped it and went on to the next year.

Was this what they and the Behrmans saw fit for the year of 2018? Not give Jayson Shaw a chance to defend the US Open title in the following year and just go right on to April 2019?

Could they have reached out to Pat Fleming and coordinated a little bit better so as to not screw over the players/sport/fans?

I don't see that detail addressed in the press releases.

One has to be totally naive to think that during negotiations with Match Room Sports that any consideration/discussion was had regarding the need for the existing champion to defend in 2018. Please.....

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One has to be totally naive to think that during negotiations with Match Room Sports that any consideration/discussion was had regarding the need for the existing champion to defend in 2018. Please.....

This is priceless. So they were so impressed with the storied tradition, history and prestige that comes with the U.S. Open, they just said "ahh screw it, we'll skip this year".

And obviously, you are ok with that.

Gotta love pool.

Wonder what would happen if they skipped the darts this year, or heaven forbid, the Mosconi Cup? But the US Open is expendable...no one will miss it for one year.
:thumbup:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is priceless. So they were so impressed with the storied tradition, history and prestige that comes with the U.S. Open, they just said "ahh screw it, we'll skip this year".

And obviously, you are ok with that.

Gotta love pool.

Wonder what would happen if they skipped the darts this year, or heaven forbid, the Mosconi Cup? But the US Open is expendable...no one will miss it for one year.
:thumbup:
If you were running Matchroom, and you had to move the event to April from October (due to various scheduling conflicts) and you were looking at a total cost of something like $600,000 to stage the first event and you wanted to launch with as well-done an event as possible, and you had to start now, what would you do?

Sometimes Vegas hotels need more than a year of lead time.

I think the only possible way to have had a US Open in October, 2018 would have been to have Pat Fleming run it in Norfolk. I think it is pretty obvious why that might have been a non-starter for Matchroom.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you were running Matchroom, and you had to move the event to April from October (due to various scheduling conflicts) and you were looking at a total cost of something like $600,000 to stage the first event and you wanted to launch with as well-done an event as possible, and you had to start now, what would you do?

Sometimes Vegas hotels need more than a year of lead time.

I think the only possible way to have had a US Open in October, 2018 would have been to have Pat Fleming run it in Norfolk. I think it is pretty obvious why that might have been a non-starter for Matchroom.

Why should that have been a non starter?
Pat Fleming, the guy who kept the show rolling when matchroom wouldn't touch it with Barry's fingerprints all over it. In 3 years, Pat made the tournament not just a WPA ranking event, but the combined field Fargo rate was higher rated than the world championship last year....all despite Pat allowing the Behrmans (Sr and jr) to grandstand with champaign, singers and speeches for every tournament.

So now, the Behrmans and Matchroom want to do Barry proud and just skip 2018.
They could've started by allowing Pat to run the 2018 as planned instead playing cloak and dagger.

Absolutely Vegas hotels need more lead time, so why turn the shoulder on Mr. Flemming who was reportedly making phone calls and looking to hold the US Open on time and on schedule this year?

And on a side note, I feel that it was Pat's announcement that caused Matchroom to come out and just say what they were planning. Instead they would've been silent all the way to October and then announce the April US Open. Players and fans would've been left wondering what happened to 2018. Again, Pat Flemming keeps the US Open on the up and up, this time without even being involved in the deal.

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Why should that have been a non starter?
Pat Fleming, the guy who kept the show rolling when matchroom wouldn't touch it with Barry's fingerprints all over it. In 3 years, Pat made the tournament not just a WPA ranking event, but the combined field Fargo rate was higher rated than the world championship last year....all despite Pat allowing the Behrmans (Sr and jr) to grandstand with champaign, singers and speeches for every tournament.

So now, the Behrmans and Matchroom want to do Barry proud and just skip 2018.
They could've started by allowing Pat to run the 2018 as planned instead playing cloak and dagger.

Absolutely Vegas hotels need more lead time, so why turn the shoulder on Mr. Flemming who was reportedly making phone calls and looking to hold the US Open on time and on schedule this year?

And on a side note, I feel that it was Pat's announcement that caused Matchroom to come out and just say what they were planning. Instead they would've been silent all the way to October and then announce the April US Open. Players and fans would've been left wondering what happened to 2018. Again, Pat Flemming keeps the US Open on the up and up, this time without even being involved in the deal.

The rumor that something was going to be announced soon came up a few weeks ago on FB. Maybe both parties were rushing to get the word out. If Matchroom announced first, then Pat’s announcement would have looked silly.

I’d love it if somehow Matchroom works with Pat to make the Chesapeake event a true US Open 9-ball event for continuity.

Freddie <~~~ go, Pool!!!

oldzilla

Accu-Stats Messenger
Silver Member
I'm not going to like a US Open with a British flavor. (No offense lads)

We have a great honest promoter, every bit as good as the what Matchroom offers.

But Pat was ignored for a long time, so he had to make plans as the hotel was reserved.

How are you going to like Matchroom changing US Open rules and format ???

Race to 5 isn't going to work for me.

So anyway thanks a lot for selling out BENEDICT Berman !