Chris Melling's 4 rail bank shot

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
All of those things are fine. But a hanger is a shot you will never miss. Does this qualify? Don't shoot the messenger.

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yea - fully agree. One of the things I /don't/ like about our local APA league games is the focus on safety play. I can see once in a while - but so many games seem to lead in that direction.

In the case of this game, if you're going to play safe on the 8 ball, then you're way too late. There are certainly games where early safeties are a much higher percentage play than hoping to make 3 or 4 trick shots to get out.

But I think you are talking about the guy who is afraid to shoot at his pocket when the table is wide open and needs 3 ball in hands to get out?

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry Charlie,

We shot that shot with our eye's closed back in the depression. Never missed it. A shot like that won't even make the warm up for a trick shot show.

We can settle this once and for all with a game of 14.1 to 500 on my antique brunswick with the good old nappy cloth. We had a real pool stroke back in WW2 you know. Blah blah blah blah blah..................

View attachment 464652

Ya and I've hit countless masse' and 4 fail banks my bet is a pro level player hits those more frequently as they come up all the time , by all means find me one video in a game where a timing shot like that happens cause I've yet to see it played one time in 8 ball or rotation in thousands of matches Iv played yet I can't even count how many times I've seen a masse' or a 4 rail shot

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ya and I've hit countless masse' and 4 fail banks my bet is a pro level player hits those more frequently as they come up all the time , by all means find me one video in a game where a timing shot like that happens cause I've yet to see it played one time in 8 ball or rotation in thousands of matches Iv played yet I can't even count how many times I've seen a masse' or a 4 rail shot

I think the pooh-poohers need to try all three shots and see how many times they can make the set. And don't forget the 4-inch pockets.

Last edited:

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the pooh-poohers need to try all three shots and see how many times they can make the set. And don't forget the 4-inch pockets.

To make it perfectly clear...

my comment was only regarding the bank shot, which is what the OP referred to,
and was motivated mostly by the over the top reaction reaction of the commentator
and many posters. "The best shot I've ever seen". Really??

I have seen, in person, enough examples of spectators going gaga over bank shots
to understand the mentality.

FWIW - would you not agree the 4 railer was a simple, straight forward bank to
someone of moderate skill in Bank Pool.

Dale

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All of those things are fine. But a hanger is a shot you will never miss. Does this qualify? Don't shoot the messenger.

Well, a hanger is an easy shot one should make... if you've been in a pool room
more the 3 times in your life.

Dale(who promises to never, ever, employ irony again)

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sorry Charlie:

Not to rain on anybodys parade, but, IMHO -
that four railer was a hanger to any competent Bank Pool player.
They would know at a glance if the path to the pocket was open.

Dale(not quite competent Bank Pool player)

That ain't no hanger baby! Even John Brumbach would be impressed if he saw that. Johnny Archer called it the best shot he ever saw in his life! Even Mika had to give him some applause. :smile:
That entire run-out was insane!

Last edited:

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That ain't no hanger baby! Even John Brumbach would be impressed if he saw that. Johnny Archer called it the best shot he ever saw in his life! Even Mika had to give him some applause. :smile:

If we want to know for sure, let's just ask Lou what the right answer is.:thumbup:

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
In the case of this game, if you're going to play safe on the 8 ball, then you're way too late. There are certainly games where early safeties are a much higher percentage play than hoping to make 3 or 4 trick shots to get out.

But I think you are talking about the guy who is afraid to shoot at his pocket when the table is wide open and needs 3 ball in hands to get out?

Yes. I wasn't really thinking of this particular rack being run in the posted video, but just the "in general mindset" that is so prevalent in our local league. You're exactly correct.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Haters will always come up with excuses. This is why I'm not holding my breath to see if the detractors will post videos of themselves making the same shots.

That entire run-out was insane!

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Haters will always come up with excuses. This is why I'm not holding my breath to see if the detractors will post videos of themselves making the same shots.

My original post was simple. He did what he could. :wink:
I am no hater, I am a realist.:)
There is a post on youtube by me that is in response to a hater claiming I couldnt shoot the spotshot as a 4 railer. Play cueball safe for 1 pkt.
Search Mike Filholm on youtube. Sorry the lighting/picture isnt better.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If we want to know for sure, let's just ask Lou what the right answer is.:thumbup:

I don't think he is going to take the bait.

Could you give an estimate of how many times you are going to try?

Isn't there a rule that says 3 trolls is a loss, or something?

Dale

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't think he is going to take the bait.

Could you give an estimate of how many times you are going to try?

Isn't there a rule that says 3 trolls is a loss, or something?

Dale

Way to change the subject:thumbup:. A known bank pool player has chimed in saying you're wrong. How about you respond to that instead.

Also, Lou is on a timeout. I'll wait until his return to speak of him again.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
There is a post on youtube by me that is in response to a hater claiming I couldnt shoot the spotshot as a 4 railer. Play cueball safe for 1 pkt.

Two entirely different shots! A spot shot with an open table and you just need to slide the cue ball to one side to be safe. Please don't try to compare that with the shot Chris made.
With a little practice the spot shot four railer is about even money. I'd get up there cold and take five shots at it! :)

Last edited:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I don't see how it's an easy shot. I'm impressed that you also made it. So, please show us.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two entirely different shots! A spot shot with an open table and you just need to slide the cue ball to one side to be safe. Please don't try to compare that with the shot Chris made.
With a little practice the spot shot four railer is about even money. I'd get up there cold and take five shots at it! :)

Jay you are confused if you believe I think they are the same ;)
I posted up another 4 rail. That's all:smile:

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Way to change the subject:thumbup:. A known bank pool player has chimed in saying you're wrong. How about you respond to that instead.

Also, Lou is on a timeout. I'll wait until his return to speak of him again.

What kind of timeout? He doesn't show as banned, posted 2 days ago.

Dale