Pool table identification.

ao9488

Registered
From reading topic after topic on this forum I think I have it pegged as a gold crown but if I'm being at all honest I have no clue. Haven't laid eyes on it yet but hopefully will this weekend. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
2aa3119d09759a5514d353e1a6a33f7f.jpg
d6c3e75e8f3e9589b434b66135191e85.jpg
1f3e991aba8b7e511c9e1cb2ec0081c4.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ao9488

Registered
Ok, with a little added research looks like a gold crown II to my highly untrained eyes. Would still like some verification. Thanks.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Post a pic of the counters( they are on the wrong end). That will be the tell all. The name plate alone tells me its a 1 or 2, they are essentially the same table, 1's only came painted and 2's were the stained version and were a very short run of only a couple years. Could have been a restored 1...

Trent from Toledo

ao9488

Registered
Do you think it was just set up wrong/backwards and could be set up correctly the next time. I imagine the rails mount to the slate in the correct positions but the skirt has been put on wrong. Would that be a correct assumption?

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Do you think it was just set up wrong/backwards and could be set up correctly the next time. I imagine the rails mount to the slate in the correct positions but the skirt has been put on wrong. Would that be a correct assumption?

The ball box could be on the wrong end.. or the rails could be reversed.. or it could be both.

When you put the table together the slate with the reliefs for the counters is at the foot end.
Rails should have markings underneath for correct position. Head end has the Brunwick logo.

The ball box should be centered and placed directly under the counters for the short blinds.

Mark castings & rails with masking tape and a felt marker before you disassemble the table.
The rails might be in the correct position as assembled, and only need to be placed correctly.

Last edited:

ao9488

Registered
Ok, thank you for the detailed response. I really appreciate it. So it seems that it's a gcII that was assembled incorrectly the last time. Is there anything I should look for specifically that would classify as red flags to not buy the table. It's going to be a big upgrade from my $100 no name table I bought in college.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Depends on the price.
If you disassemble the table.... The original slates were pinned.
The pins may have been cut off. Don't lift the end slates before
checking for the pins, or the slate may break. Score the seams
with a razor (box cutter) and then pry them apart before lifting.

ao9488

Registered
Price is under $500 which seems less than what I see most go for. It's Thank you for the heads up on the pins, really appreciate it.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
If you look at the first under the table picture closely, you will see white paint on the underside of the leg stretcher and the leg. I think its a 1 that has been stripped, sanded and stained. I say its a 1 that has been refinished. I also say do not lift the end slates at all!! I do agree with scoring the seam with a razor and I "shimmy" the slates side to side and do not lift them at all, they will come loose if there are dowels. Good luck!

Trent from Toledo

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Price is under $500 which seems less than what I see most go for. It's Thank you for the heads up on the pins, really appreciate it.

At that price, just buy it and don't look back. It seems to be a solid GC from the pics.

ao9488

Registered
Awesome! Thanks for the encouragement. I have the room and have always wanted a bigger and better table, seems like a great opportunity.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
For that kind of money upfront you can afford to put some nice work into the table.

Refinish
Powder Coat metal parts
Rails done by Mark Gregory

That would be my starter list.

:thumbup:

ao9488

Registered
Awesome, thanks for all the good advice! A friend of mine does powder coating so that sounds like a pretty good idea. With rail work are we talking about "diamondizing" the pockets?

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Awesome, thanks for all the good advice! A friend of mine does powder coating so that sounds like a pretty good idea. With rail work are we talking about "diamondizing" the pockets?

Yes and no, he would cut off the subrails and start over. you would end up with what ever size pocket you want and at the 141 degree corner and 102 sides. I have heard it is pretty pricey, but, if you have the $$ I also hear they play great.

Trent from Toledo

ao9488

Registered
Oh ok, I got gotcha. Sounds like a future endeavor when the table gets moved to it's forever home and student loans are paid off haha.

ao9488

Registered
Picked up the table and it seems to be refinished GC1 due to the figure 8 disc deal under the rails.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Enjoy! You will have fun with it!! If you have any questions or need any parts/ materials, I am always in for a good conversation about pool tables!

Trent from Toledo (419)491-7476