The USPS Package of a Cue to me

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PVC is cheap and would have to be dropped from a truck and ran over or dropped from a plane for the contents to be damaged. A 32 inch piece will easily accommodate a standard length cue with both ends packed and the shipping cost is virtually the same as a triangle tube.

Yes sir, that's the way to go... and someone mentioned that PVC tube INSIDE the
triangular shipping box, double up. Just thinking about shipping a cue gives me
the yips... feel like I'm kissing that cue goodbye.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Several years ago, UPS was getting a large number of claims for missing gun shipments. Their investigation revealed package handlers at their ground terminals were stealing them. How did they resolve this issue? They made it mandatory all guns had to ship overnight or next day air.

What can Brown do for you?

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By the way. Don't ship tubes. Put the tube inside a triangle or square box. It helps to avoid the rolling around.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've shipped hundreds of very expensive cues, never had a any lost or damaged cues.
I've just recently started buying insurance because of the stress created by so many misdirected packages.
Chances are if I do have a claim it will not be paid, so I think insurance is a bad bet, but I'm doing it anyway in an attempt to get better service and eliminate some stress.

Before this year i could count on one hand how many times I've purchased insurance, zero claims.

Exactly. I have never had a car accident but I still have insurance. It's just smart business.

justabrake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you open it up and have a look? If it was in some good bubble wrap or secondary packaging it is probably just fine.

JC

If I opened it it's mine if I don't touch it it's still theirs just refuse when in doubt better play it safe then be sorry

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you in fact have a cue with value ,send it Registered .Every employee who handles it has to sign and if its damaged when they receive it they point it out. Do not use used box,s and show them on her like they were beat up like that .

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The pressure from the elevation did that to the epoxy.
j/k
Just wow.
And they wonder why people hate their services.

The customers response when I sent him pictures and said. You need to call me.

I see it. Never noticed it. I bought the Butt off a guy on AZ a month ago. Probably to late to do anything about it now. Just send it back, thank you for your time and patience.

I'm scratching my head and sending it back.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My mangled package USPS experience:

I bought a bunch if magazines (Pool & Billiard) and it turns out that the cheapest way to ship them is by USPS Priority medium flat-rate box. You can put 30-40 magazines into each box with a perfect fit. It turned out to be about 18 boxes.

None of the boxes arrived unbroken -- every box had at least one split seam. Two of the boxes arrived without any contents. A couple of them had been retaped after bursting. Three of the boxes were never seen again. Either there had been a truck wreck or someone was playing dodgeball with the packages.

It is the sender who files the claim so I did not deal with the problem except to take pictures and make up a list of which packages were received and the condition of each. Priority comes with $50 of insurance automatically and the sender did not bother to add extra, so he took the hit on the loss.

I have since shipped magazines in those same boxes. After sealing the seams with packing tape, I run band of strapping tape around the box in at each corner -- six bands total of strapping tape. The boxes used to be a lot tougher but now they are one grade above paper towels.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Exactly. I have never had a car accident but I still have insurance. It's just smart business.

Yep
With collectible cues worth many times the original price, the only way to get reimbursed if lost is to have an actual insurance policy.
Registered mail still won't pay off on artwork and collectibles.
Registered does however put much more responsibility on the supervisors who sign off on it, but it could take forever to arrive.

I believe that heavily insured packages are less likely to be mis-directed and that is what I am worried about the most.
I know at least 5 times guys have received empty tubes, and that is where I see the conspiracy.
With cameras and all it has to be a tricky thing to pull off but opportunities do come up.
The tube is set aside, no opportunity occurs, and it just ends up on some truck going to who knows where.
One example is an overnighted South West going to the Chicago area.
Delayed in Denver, eventually ends up in Pueblo, Colorado.
Lost for a few days, no tracking information, eventually turns up in Marengo, Illinois.
Since that one, I have been buying insurance, I was hours away from refunding the money when it turned up.
Not that the full amont would have been paid, but I think the handling is a little more controlled with big insurance.

I picked refunds the next Saturday on 3 guranteed overnights at one time, 4 were picked up on packages coming to me, including a FedEx from Pete Tascarella.
FedEx really jacked around, lied to me and lied to Pete.
Pete had to go to a supervisor to get the refund.
I hated asking him, but they were so awful I couldn't let it go.
If it was just a situation of a couple days late I would not have cared enough to ask him for a refund.

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
What Chrisin wrote.
Also, if it came usps, you're lucky it showed up at all. I've heard many stories of empty boxes showing up at people's doorsteps. When I sent one of my cues to proficient I sent it in a super sturdy tube, insured it, and didn't use usps. That cue is only worth about $700 but it is irreplaceable due to the maker having passed away a few years ago.
Would have liked to see how your cue was packaged inside the box.

Always wrap my stuff properly. Never had a problem with the Postal Service.

knifemaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't ever think that the zip code and address are looked at and used the way they should. I shipped a knife from Lufkin Texas to San Antonio Texas. Put the guys name on the address label. & days later I get a call from a man in Washington state with the same name wondering why I had sent him this knife. Fortunately he called me. How could it go that far off course and find someone with the same name, unbelievable for sure. He was great about it and reshipped it to the San Antonio address. Go figure with the USPS.

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
New Mezz arrived today, no problems. Was in a regular box, well packed no signs of
any mishandling. Great looking cue by the way, EC-7 WMW model.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't ever think that the zip code and address are looked at and used the way they should. I shipped a knife from Lufkin Texas to San Antonio Texas. Put the guys name on the address label. & days later I get a call from a man in Washington state with the same name wondering why I had sent him this knife. Fortunately he called me. How could it go that far off course and find someone with the same name, unbelievable for sure. He was great about it and reshipped it to the San Antonio address. Go figure with the USPS.

I don't think most USPS workers could find San Antonio on a map.

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member

Heres a similar mishap, sorta... A while back I found a bench warrant on my door, the first problem was the fact it wasnt for me but it did have my address. The second problem was it was the wrong state. They served a warrant for someone in Illinois to a house in Indiana with the same address :scratchhead: I could have just wadded it up and thrown it away and let the actual person get a failure to appear, or possibly risk the SWAT team coming to the wrong house again and end up filing a lawsuit against the city. Instead, I took it to the sheriffs department and informed them of their fk up and they said "you'll have to come back later, everyone is at lunch"...I said nah thats ok ya'll can figure it out :idea:

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They should be able to, I mean these days with the help of Google when everything

Hahah! Yeah, Google it... I bought stamps at the P.O., it came to $6.42... I handed the
P.O. worker a $20... "Oh, the computer is down right now.."
I says "can you give me change?"
P.O. worker "yes, but the computer is down".........

It dawned on me that this person couldn't make change for a $20 without a
computer... tax dollars at work, y'all.

"I CALLED SUICIDE PREVENTION, THEY PUT ME ON HOLD!!!"
-Rodney D.

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
Very Scary, Indeed .......

Heres one I got recently, luckily the contents were undamaged.

Heres a couple things I have had happen. I sent two cues to a cuemaker in FL and the mailman delivered an empty tube to his door. He ran him down and filed the necessary form and I ended up getting a check about 40 days later. I recently sent a cue to Washington and not only did it go to the wrong address it wasnt even the same zip code. It went to a college in another town, someone caught it and it was eventually delivered the next day.

Heres a UPS one. I sent something to CA with the understanding it would arrive in 3 days because a friend of mine was filming and needed the piece of equipment on time. It doesnt show up because of a late trailer in Illinois. I go to the UPS where I shipped it from and they say call the 800 number, I knew what was coming because they jacked me around the same way when a cue I shipped to Canada was late. The foreign lady at the 800 number whom I could barely understand says "you must file a claim with your UPS shipper"...no shit. Back to the office I go and now they give me another number to call. Long story short I got a letter last week saying we have been made aware of the issue and will be sending a refund at some point. I shipped on February 15th, next time ill say let me know when it arrives and ill come back and pay you. I have shipped cues, cases and other items all over the world and only ever had a problem within the US.

I’ve used these Tubes, placed inside a Triangular PRIORITY Box for Cue
shipments. Now, I am concerned that the protection may STILL be insufficient.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here my idea of shipping a cue. The tube is from Seybert’s. A car could drive over it. Will follow up on delivery. If it falls out or get crushed I give up.

Attachments

• 71B2ED19-DD37-418B-8369-4A131710F4D5.jpg
    71B2ED19-DD37-418B-8369-4A131710F4D5.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 79
Last edited: