xavier gretillat`s pdf

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
how many of you have it?

page 188
is the next one for me to attempt,
its market as easy, but at first glance looks daunting

cb and ob1 are so close that it seems very difficult to be able to make the point and keep ob1 in the corner with the others

picture.php

Last edited:

Dean_H

luv the small modalities
Silver Member
This one I practiced today. This shot I always practice once a week. I have played this on simonis 300 cloth more then the five years old, and on new Simonis 300 cloth, and on the Royal Carom synthetic cloth. I had a lot of trouble with this shot in the beginning. My problem was the first object ball would either kiss out my cue ball from making the point, or the object ball would reach the second object ball and knock it away. You want to use a more rapid stroke but not too rapid. also follow thru on the draw cause that gives the cueball a little speed in the draw so it outpaces the first object ball. You want to give it a good stroke but at straight rail speed. This shot can be played very softly and easily on both new cloth, and synthetic cloth. The shot I feel has less of a make tolerance with older cloth. If you are practicing at home your cloth should be new enough. If you cannot really make it your first session don't get depressed as it is not an easy shot in my opinion. , even as the shot is labled as "easy" in the book. It took me a while to get the hang of the shot and sometimes I still have trouble with the shot. I would watch Xavier Gretillat make the shot on video and wonder how he did it.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Your stroke needs to be perfect at that low on the bal
Perfectly level, as good as you cam Amway
And the hand position is key on the handle as his image shows
and the correct bridge position to get the cue level at that low on the bal

His book shows many bridges and this shot is one example of why so many types of bridges are necessary

I made it once after about 15 tries
Then 2 more times correctly with the balls in the corner in another 20 tries

The stroke has to be perfect, I miscued and jumped the ball alot

Thanks Dean for conversing with me on the game and shots

As far as I cam tell, your the only person online in the states that's into it like me

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
another doozey here, labeled easy, but not so much
, theres like no room for error on where you hit the second ball

it makes easy, when you hit that ONE small spot, and position comes easy, when you hit that spot

but other wise keeping position on this as shown, is pretty tough

picture.php

Last edited:

Dean_H

luv the small modalities
Silver Member
You got this Richard

You want to use draw and between favor English and one tip left english. This one is a good shot to practice and once you get the hang and feel of the shot you start getting good controlled leaves from this pattern. I would start practicing the diagram right before this one as it kind of leads to this shot.

It feels a little strange cause you are two railing the first object ball in a kind of shallow angle while trying to use just the right amount of English to land on the second object ball.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
the 2 previous pages, i was really struggling with when practicing

then i remembered i had this and continued from where i left

and like that, i can make those 2 pretty regularly,

so much of these is such just pure feel of the hit, once you get a clue what to do

ill be down and thinking about where it goes if i hit center ball, then adjust the english to where i want to go, on the spot

Gongmyo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was practicing this shot just yesterday, which I got not from Gretillat but Weingartner, shot # 7 in his program. Diagrammed exactly the same. Weingartner gives it a point value of 7 on a scale of 4-11. The carom and speed are relatively easy, but getting ball 2 to come around for the gather not so easy.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
could someone provide a link that works
i get a 404 error message with the link above

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Updated,
Larry I thought I remembered you telling me you bought this a few yrs ago

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Dean... page 203 i couldnt get at all to go like that, and its a pretty useful one i think

i skipped the next because thats an easy one ive seen and done
THEN page 205 gets to the medium difficulty gathers, first one is TOUGH

2/3s hit it says, draw
i can make the shot but not the gather, or i can get the second ball to go to the corner, and not score the point

its been a tough practice day anyway, im a bit frazzled atm

picture.php

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
I'm seriously considering seeing if I can trade my 10ft for a decent 9fter

My table give me fits some days

Dean_H

luv the small modalities
Silver Member
Hi Richard

For page 203 in Xavier's book the trick is how much ball you take and how much draw you use. You do not want to use max draw, but instead use just below center. For the shot it is also important that the first object ball is frozen to the side rail. If you use to much draw and too little of the object ball on the hit the angle your cue ball comes off of the second long rail will be short. This shot is one you have to try many times to get the right ball amount and draw so as to make the second object ball big in the other corner.
Personally I think this shot should be grouped in the medium category rather then the easy.

I would not skip 204 because it looks like an easy 3c pattern. Diagram 204 is tough to produce the results in the diagram. In the shot you have to feather the first object ball and use spin. If you hit the first object ball to thick it tends to knock the second object ball out of the cue ball's path.

I would keep the ten foot table.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
im going to keep with the 203 and 205 shot till i can make them and understand them better before moving on, seems like a step up in stroke technique

erriep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm seriously considering seeing if I can trade my 10ft for a decent 9fter

My table give me fits some days

if you want to work the small games seriously , then you should trade it for a 9fter, if you're under 20 as general average at straight rail or <10 at balkine... 10ft isn't a funny table for small games beginners or even advanced players.
You'll have regrets when playing 3 cushion, but it's a much better size for straight rails & 1 cushion.

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
if you want to work the small games seriously , then you should trade it for a 9fter, if you're under 20 as general average at straight rail or <10 at balkine... 10ft isn't a funny table for small games beginners or even advanced players.
You'll have regrets when playing 3 cushion, but it's a much better size for straight rails & 1 cushion.

I do want to take them seriously
I'm way under that average

I really don't play 3c

Also I'm trying to get new people playing these games and the 10ft for them might be too discouraging

That's key I believe to getting people into Carom in the us

Start on smaller tables playing the classic games

I just wonder if I'll feel like a jackass after trading my table, my sogaard is very pretty, brand new rubber cloth and refinished rails,

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
ok so now xaviers pdf book of over 700 pages of classic carom training material has now been translated.......

in spanish

kevoka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do want to take them seriously
I'm way under that average

I really don't play 3c

Also I'm trying to get new people playing these games and the 10ft for them might be too discouraging

That's key I believe to getting people into Carom in the us

Start on smaller tables playing the classic games

I just wonder if I'll feel like a jackass after trading my table, my sogaard is very pretty, brand new rubber cloth and refinished rails,

You stated this about a year ago. Did you trade tables?