Would you help your opponent??

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I guess the point is that you take the crap way too seriously. As someone on here once told me "if you don't like the way your teammates act or play, look for a new team"

Well, yes...why would you NOT ? In a competitive environment there is only one way to play, and it is to win. That is why we all practice, take lessons, buy DVD's, but cues that best suit us, get tips from teamates, and go to tourneys.... to win.

I'm not about to apologize cause I like to compete in any sport I play.... the key word is compete. If this was my APA team, I could care less..... but this league is cutthroat and you will get someone calling a "ref" on you on any close shot,,, even ones' not so close.

Must be reason some of the best players in Chicago area play here,,,, and I don't recall getting any breaks from anybody :) Not sure why my teammate needs to give them one.....

AGain, it should be my choice, not anyone's elses if I want to help my opponent with his equipment problems.... I choose NOT to. I"m trying to help my team win, and I don't like to lose anyways... though I'm not a sore loser, and did NOT ride my teammate afterwards but did say don't do it again. Pool is 50% mental, and I don't need anything else flopping around upstairs than I already got !!

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
keyword here GAME

I had a player playing against me named Dennis Kennedy in a Tournament.
I had a headach he gave me something to help my headach.
I won the match. Did he show sportsmanship? YES
We forget it's a game.
Would I lend equipment to my opponet yes most of the time.
Whatever you might help them with will probably have very little to do with the outcome.
If it does oh well it will go full circle.

I"d give him an tylenol too... but not my bridge, break stick, or magic chalk :)

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, playing in league last night. It's a tough league, with 16 teams, and cash payouts. It is a "house league" that is sanctioned by ACS.

We are in 4th place, playing the 3rd place team, about mid season.

So, the other team is full of A players and a couple of strong B players, like most of the teams at the top.

I'm playing one of their top guys, and after his first shot, the cb gets right next to an object ball, so know he was to jack way up, but can't reach it... then begins looking for the bridge.

And I smile, cause I know the house bridge when turned sideways really suck as the cue slips around. Well, when he finds the house cue starts to realize it sucks, my teammate chirps up and offers him his "moose head" bridge to shoot the shot and he shoots a perfect safety on me.

I give me teamate a look like "wtf" dude. And when I start examing the table I ask tell him the guy might need some chalk too, and if you don't mind if he uses your break cue in his next game.... kinda laughing about it, but a little pissed.

After the match my teammate tells me it is the classy thing to do....

I tell him it is NOT. Calling your own foul would be classy, helping him find the house bridge would be classy, or picking up the chalk that dropped from his pocket might be classy. OK, I still won the game and most likely why I laughed it off afterwards... but c'mon ??

Heck, I have a pro-adjustabridge but it is ONLY available to my team mates.... Just like my break stick... anyone can use it IF they are on my team....

So, the question is would you give your personal bridge to a guy you were playing in a competitive league ? Or just let him use the house bridge knowing the house bridge sucks... What say fellow AZB'ers ??

This is why I don't like leagues and tournaments. Spent one season doing it and have zero interest in it now. I sure as hell have no interest in supporting the forcing of pool to be a team sport. It isn't a team sport.

Yes, it was classy, and it was the right thing to do. But he is on a team and his team mate does not feel that way.

The problem? Pool is not a team sport. You were playing on a team. That's the problem.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
RJ your location is awesome. I wish that guy would die already.
To me, it sounds like your teammate IS a state employee. That's what Illinois does. Takes from people who work and own things and give to those less prepared or motivated.
I'm in agreement with you. If this was a recreational league it wouldn't be an issue. In a serious league fortune favors the prepared player -unless they're playing against your teammates lol.

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
I'd let him use it.

Pro golfers help look for their competitor's lost balls, remind their opponents to replace their ball markers if they were moved,etc...with hundreds of thousands of dollars on the line.

Bartrum nailed it with few words...let them use it unless you really don't like them.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
And, I can't believe that a team of A's that compete at a high level wouldn't have one bridge head between them. The player may have just about been ready to ask one of them and this would have been avoided.

Dave

I think this is what threw me the most about the whole situation, actually.....

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
To me, it sounds like your teammate IS a state employee. That's what Illinois does. Takes from people who work and own things and give to those less prepared or motivated.
I'm in agreement with you. If this was a recreational league it wouldn't be an issue. In a serious league fortune favors the prepared player -unless they're playing against your teammates lol.

When you gonna come and join the league ? It's a straigt shot from Joliet off 355. Already have a team mate that comes from Tinley Park, and there are a few guys in the league that come from a lot further....

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I'd let him use it.

Pro golfers help look for their competitor's lost balls, remind their opponents to replace their ball markers if they were moved,etc...with hundreds of thousands of dollars on the line.

Bartrum nailed it with few words...let them use it unless you really don't like them.

Well, it depends. I don't play golf, so I don't know anything about what they do and don't really care...

I play baseball, as well as coach baseball, and we do NOT give the other team a break while playing.

If a baserunner is stealing second base, and the batter hits a foul tip, we do NOT tell the base runner that is is foul..... we let him run... he's a big boy, and can turn his head to look. Yeah, I want him a little tired on the next steal attempt to give my catcher a chance to throw him out.

Now, if it is a safety issue, the other teams cathers mask is broken, absolutley I'd let them use our catchers mask..... but not because our's was "better"......

ronscuba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree, it is your call, not your team mate. Now that you have explained how competitive your league is, plus everyone knowing the house bridges are bad, your opponent or his team should have their own bridge.

I like individual and team leagues. In the team league, I think it is important for all team members to have a common level of competitiveness or at least agree how serious they are taking the matches.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
And, I can't believe that a team of A's that compete at a high level wouldn't have one bridge head between them. The player may have just about been ready to ask one of them and this would have been avoided.

Dave

Nope, they were all sitting right there... the stools are within 6 feet of the tables.....I noticed they all used the house bridge. I will use it only on a gimme shot that is straight in... anything else I pull out the pro=adjustabridge... best bridge ever :)

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd let him use it.

I would, too. The only other stipulation is that I would be the one offering the bridge, not somebody else.

Best,
Mike

Last edited:

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
When you gonna come and join the league ? It's a straigt shot from Joliet off 355. Already have a team mate that comes from Tinley Park, and there are a few guys in the league that come from a lot further....

I've only been back at it for a couple months. Where do you usually play and where is your league if it's not the same place? I'm looking for a game but not sure if I have the time to commit to a weekly league. I will also be in Tucson half of the rest of this year. I'll be back the second week of January for a couple months though.
My buddy and I are looking to match up this weekend some time. We had action for tomorrow night but they cancelled. We will probably new at 63rd street "Q" tomorrow if anyone is looking for a game.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The last line of Joliet James post sums up this league. Lots of very strong players and the team playing RJ know how to play some serious pool. Why they don't have an adequate bridge is beyond me. I use a London Bridge head and a couple of members of my team carry their own as well. Hey RJ you know you can use my bridge anytime; after leagues are over..:wink:

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
I carry a moose head bridge in my case all the time. I always played on 9 footers and couldn't survive without it. Most bar bridges are the old standard style and look like they would scratch the hell out of the shaft because they have the casting line running along the center line of the entire thing.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, playing in league last night. It's a tough league, with 16 teams, and cash payouts. It is a "house league" that is sanctioned by ACS.

We are in 4th place, playing the 3rd place team, about mid season.

So, the other team is full of A players and a couple of strong B players, like most of the teams at the top.

I'm playing one of their top guys, and after his first shot, the cb gets right next to an object ball, so know he was to jack way up, but can't reach it... then begins looking for the bridge.

And I smile, cause I know the house bridge when turned sideways really suck as the cue slips around. Well, when he finds the house cue starts to realize it sucks, my teammate chirps up and offers him his "moose head" bridge to shoot the shot and he shoots a perfect safety on me.

I give me teamate a look like "wtf" dude. And when I start examing the table I ask tell him the guy might need some chalk too, and if you don't mind if he uses your break cue in his next game.... kinda laughing about it, but a little pissed.

After the match my teammate tells me it is the classy thing to do....

I tell him it is NOT. Calling your own foul would be classy, helping him find the house bridge would be classy, or picking up the chalk that dropped from his pocket might be classy. OK, I still won the game and most likely why I laughed it off afterwards... but c'mon ??

Heck, I have a pro-adjustabridge but it is ONLY available to my team mates.... Just like my break stick... anyone can use it IF they are on my team....

So, the question is would you give your personal bridge to a guy you were playing in a competitive league ? Or just let him use the house bridge knowing the house bridge sucks... What say fellow AZB'ers ??

I think if I carried one I would let him use it. If I did not get along with the person I would not let them use it. I try to get along with everybody though. Good post.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I think if I carried one I would let him use it. If I did not get along with the person I would not let them use it. I try to get along with everybody though. Good post.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Hey LnL

I've played against them for a few sessions and they seem like good guys, but I don't really know them well. But, you know what they say, you can't give a sucker and even break :)

Later... RJ

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
This is why I don't like leagues and tournaments. Spent one season doing it and have zero interest in it now. I sure as hell have no interest in supporting the forcing of pool to be a team sport. It isn't a team sport.

Yes, it was classy, and it was the right thing to do. But he is on a team and his team mate does not feel that way.

The problem? Pool is not a team sport. You were playing on a team. That's the problem.

Chop, you can make almost anything a team sport. It works most of the time, and I like playing with my team even if they "mess" up now and again like this one...

Could you imagine taking the hundreds of thousands of folks who play league and just stopped? No more cues to buy, no more "cash nights" for the pool room selling drinks and food, no more Vegas trips for Nationals, or regionals, or anything else.

Pool has been on life support for some time, and if there were no leagues, pool would be DEAD in the USA. No chemo, no more surgeries, no more prayer, no more arguments about Earl,,,, just turn out the lights, pool would be 6 feet under, and buried for good.

Last edited: