US Open 9 Ball No one has won twice

Ball Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This week is the US Open 9 ball. No one has won it twice. How many former winner are playing and what are their chances of getting a second win???

BTW I had a kid work for me about 10 years ago His name was Mike Pickett and the family was from Paducah Ky. but had moved to Florida. He was a real nice kid and a excellent artist who like most artist had not found his field. Something came up at work after 3 months that I liked to play pool. Mike said his dad was a real good pool Player and even made cue sticks. Turns out his dad was Mike Pickett also and was runner up to Nick Varner at the US Open in 1989. Mike Sr is a really nice guy and came to our local ball banger tournament a couple of times only because his kid worked for me. He warmed up with me showing his stuff on hard racks but leaving me enough Helen Kellers so I won more games than him. He also threw off in the tournament feeling he was taking advantage to win. They have since left town and Tommy Kennedy now lives in the same town. Tommy leaves Thursday for the Open. The fact that it is a very small town with that many world class players is amazing. Of course I am hoping Tommy Kennedy can be the first to win the US open twice. We always want our home boys to do well. BTW I live several small towns away from them.

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
This week is the US Open 9 ball. No one has won it twice. How many former winner are playing and what are their chances of getting a second win???

BTW I had a kid work for me about 10 years ago His name was Mike Pickett and the family was from Paducah Ky. but had moved to Florida. He was a real nice kid and a excellent artist who like most artist had not found his field. Something came up at work after 3 months that I liked to play pool. Mike said his dad was a real good pool Player and even made cue sticks. Turns out his dad was Mike Pickett also and was runner up to Nick Varner at the US Open in 1989. Mike Sr is a really nice guy and came to our local ball banger tournament a couple of times only because his kid worked for me. He warmed up with me showing his stuff on hard racks but leaving me enough Helen Kellers so I won more games than him. He also threw off in the tournament feeling he was taking advantage to win. They have since left town and Tommy Kennedy now lives in the same town. Tommy leaves Thursday for the Open. The fact that it is a very small town with that many world class players is amazing. Of course I am hoping Tommy Kennedy can be the first to win the US open twice. We always want our home boys to do well. BTW I live several small towns away from them.
Ok, I know you are wrong on this one. I think there may be more but since you mentioned Nick Varner. He has won the US Open twice. Actually he is the only person to have won the US Open Back to Back years. See all this traveling around finally paid off. I had the answer to something :)

dirtypool40

I love this freakin' game
Silver Member
I am pretty sure there are several who have won it twice, and I think Earl won it 3-4 times.

Didn't Varner repeat 89-90?

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member

Earl has won it 5 times.
sigel has won 3
varner won it twice in a row.
hopkins has won it twice
buddy hall twice

HeLLFiSH

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Allen Hopkin, Nick Varner and Buddy Hall have all won twice, Earl Strickland won it 5 times, Mike Sigel won 3 times.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
2008 Mika Immonen
2007 Shane Van Boening
2006 John Schmidt
2005 Alex Pagulayan
2004 Gabe Owen
2003 Jeremy Jones
2002 Ralf Souquet
2001 Corey Deuel
2000 Earl Strickland
1999 Johnny Archer
1998 Buddy Hall
1997 Earl Strickland
1996 Rodney Morris
1995 Reed Pierce
1994 Efren Reyes
1993 Earl Strickland
1992 Tommy Kennedy
1991 Buddy Hall
1990 Nick Varner
1989 Nick Varner
1988 Mike Lebrón
1987 Earl Strickland
1986 David Howard
1985 Jimmy Reid
1984 Earl Strickland
1983 Mike Sigel
1982 David Howard
1981 Allen Hopkins
1980 Mike Sigel
1979 Louie Roberts
1978 Steve Mizerak
1977 Allen Hopkins
1976 Mike Sigel

oldzilla

Accu-Stats Messenger
Silver Member
????? i think you got some wrong info bb !

i think earl is goin for his 5th.

btw did ya get a ustream account yet. i remember you had the email
problem. hope you got that solved.

:cool:

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member

Buddy Hall and Nick Varner have won it twice and they usually play. That dude Strickland is playing this year and he won it 5 times. Allen Hopkins won it twice. Some others have as well.

Past winners are listed here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Open_Nine-ball_Championship

My picks this year are SVB, Mika and anyone from a small island nation in asia.

Damn! That has to be a record for most responses in 4 minutes. LOL

Ball Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Change of Topic.

I hope Tommy Kennedy wins because he is my local boy.

KoolKat

OK but only one because I am a cheap date and get drunk on two. WOW talk about getting called out Quick. Do I have the record???:grin-square:

edd

Trance Doc
Silver Member

Better check your facts. Strickland, alone, has won 5 times

2_Fast_4_Fleas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
im not thinking svb or mika or a pino...im thinking archer, earl (again) buddy, sigel, im thinking a seasoned been there for at least 15 years player