Rules question regarding object balls and cue balls

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was thinking about this when I was practicing last night.

If I hit the object ball and it bobbles against the bucket and literally just stays there as close a hanger as there can be. I go to sit down and the opponent begins to walk around the table to observe and while this goes on the object ball falls in. What would happen? Would I go back to the table or would the opponent stay on?

Same question applies if it's the cue ball being the hanger.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If I hit the object ball and it bobbles against the bucket and literally just stays there as close a hanger as there can be. I go to sit down and the opponent begins to walk around the table to observe and while this goes on the object ball falls in. What would happen? Would I go back to the table or would the opponent stay on?

5 second rule I believe.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The ball is spotted as close to where it was as you can, the other player still has the turn.

5 seconds is correct about the time before the ball stops and falls in. I have also seen players hit the table during this time and the ball goes in, that could be an unsportsmanlike foul. Like it hangs and the player hits the table like he is angry or pushes the table with his leg or something.