Killer Shot

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Miss the shot.

And why would I put low right/inside English on this shot? Seems like going with inside English would make it harder.

Not sure what shaft you shoot with, but if it's standard maple, then inside spin might let you aim a little thicker.

That might actually make the shot easier than you think.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not much of a player but I find by lining shots like these
i need to aim to over
cut the ball a bit

I like to line them up from behind the cue ball looking at the edge of the cue ball not the center

of course I don't have an aiming system but I try to see the object ball getting the right start and my last thought is make the ball

my next thought is to ask for more weight when i miss
best wishes
dean

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not much of a player but I find by ling shots like these
i need to aim to over
cut the ball a bit

I like to line them up from behind the cue ball looking at the edge of the cue ball not the center

of course I don't have an aiming system but I try to see the object ball getting the right start and my last thought is make the ball

my next thought is to ask for more weight when i miss
best wishes
dean

that's funny.

Am I missing something? Isn't this just low center? Did I miss the where you want shape part? If this was the 9 ball I would just cinch it.

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure what shaft you shoot with, but if it's standard maple, then inside spin might let you aim a little thicker.

That might actually make the shot easier than you think.

Thank you for explaining it better than i would have. :) I am only an apa 5 and really dont know how to explain what makes certain shots work like they do. I just keep mental notes in my head when I miss shots and how the cue ball reacted then i try somethin different till i find what works. Low inside works fine for me in shots like he posted. Also keeps the cue ball from scratching in the corner pocket .

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
that's funny.

Am I missing something? Isn't this just low center? Did I miss the where you want shape part? If this was the 9 ball I would just cinch it.

Low right sends the cue ball to the middle of the bottom rail. The speed at which you make the shot determines how far back up table you want to go for position. Your results may differ but that's what works for me in this scenario.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
This shot has been a killer for me lately when practicing. Anybody have any tips on making this shot? I am talking here about a back-cut into the side pocket on the 3-Ball.

r/DCP

https://pad-v1.chalkysticks.com/89c1f.png

You must be a right-hander. That's not the easiest shot to see for a righty, aiming back to your right. Probably cutting the same shot from the other side (aiming back to your left) is easier.

I'm not sure what you are doing when you practice this shot, but I would suggest you hit it over and over until you begin to see the correct angle. I like hitting this shot with a little low left English and throwing the ball toward the pocket. You also can control the cue ball better this way.

You may need to shoot it twenty or thirty times in a row (or even more!) to get a good feel for it. Try the same type shot from various angles and positions, always cutting the ball to your right at the side pocket. Once you find the right angle, all these shots will seem a whole lot easier, because they are similar shots.

If it makes you feel any better I've seen no less than Shane practice one shot as many as fifty times because he is not comfortable with it. He has said to me that he needs to make the shot ten times in a row before he feels like he has it down. :eek:

Last edited:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
There really isn't much of a trick to making any straight in shot like this in pool. You could aim it slightly thick, into the far point and then use a hair of inside, but really the center shot is not that much harder. If you have a shot that you fear, I was taught by an instructor once, you should really commit to your cue striking point on the cueball. Make sure before you go down exactly how you want to strike the ball. Then use all your energy on making it. If you are in any way undecided, scared of scratching etc. you are going to miss it for sure.

cscott67

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Low left all day......

When striking the object ball you are throwing it past the pocket to the left. The outside english prevents a skid and cancels some of the throw. Shoot it different ways until you get the adjustments down with different english. Doc

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When striking the object ball you are throwing it past the pocket to the left. The outside english prevents a skid and cancels some of the throw. Shoot it different ways until you get the adjustments down with different english. Doc

Bingo! Low outside all day long (unless position play dictates otherwise). :thumbup:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Put me down for low left also. You can get to many places on the table with it, and its very natural to shoot it that way.

Also, IDK if the picture was exact or just approximate, but the CB is close enough to the rail it might angle down your stick slightly. So watch out for the CB swerve. I like shooting this shot with a firm speed, slap the end rail, and come straight back towards the center of the table.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People will laugh at, mock, scorn, ridicule, ect. them, but shots like this are where aiming systems really shine. They make them just another shot.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People will laugh at, mock, scorn, ridicule, ect. them, but shots like this are where aiming systems really shine. They make them just another shot.

I don't use an aiming system. I also think the shot in question IS just another shot. What's so hard about it that an aiming system would fix? I must be missing something.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I don't use an aiming system. I also think the shot in question IS just another shot. What's so hard about it that an aiming system would fix? I must be missing something.

This. It's not a difficult shot. We all have those little shots that bother us here and there. I'm sure if DCP set this shot up 100 times in a row, he would start making it consistently somewhere around 40.

This shot also shouldn't require a certain type of english to make it easier to make the ball. You should be able to fire at this with pretty much whatever is needed to get to the next ball.