Bigfoot rules.....??

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No called shot, so slop counts. I love the event, but not fond of that rule.
I don't understand why top pro players are playing 10-ball and not playing call shot call safety rules? I thought that was the rules for 10-ball? They might as well be playing 9-ball.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I have yet to find a ten ball game that is played by the rules. It seems like a great game but it seems like players choose nine ball rules when playing it.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
IMO Ten Ball should be played with 9-Ball rules. It is still a tougher game to play, about 20% harder to run a rack. Making the ten ball on the break is also a rare occurrence. Ten Ball is a great game if played the same as 9-Ball, no reason to "rule" it up!

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have yet to find a ten ball game that is played by the rules. It seems like a great game but it seems like players choose nine ball rules when playing it.

Historically, this has been the case. 10-ball was played just like 9-ball. The WPA changed the rules in an effort to truly differentiate it, but that doesn’t mean guys like me who played 10-ball long before it became en Vogue have to like all the changes. Maybe the WPA should have polled the people who were already playing it to see what rules need to be applied (eg, no 10-ball on the bottom corners on the break).

I just scratch my head when players new to 10-ball or any pool game think that such-and-such rules have always been like that.

Freddie <~~~ will play either way

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't understand why top pro players are playing 10-ball and not playing call shot call safety rules? I thought that was the rules for 10-ball? They might as well be playing 9-ball.

The Bigfoot Challenge was started by Jay as the TD, and the rules of 10- ball were undergoing changes. Jay favors the older rules of 10-ball, as many of us do. That’s how the Bigfoot event started and that’s how it continues.

Imagine if the rules committees started changing the rules of Banks or One Hole without actually consulting with the Kentucky players and the current one pocket champions? That’s what happens with 10-ball. Remember when they added the 20% penalty to 14.1? That’s how odd I think some of the rule changes for 10-ball have been.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Historically, this has been the case. 10-ball was played just like 9-ball. The WPA changed the rules in an effort to truly differentiate it, but that doesn’t mean guys like me who played 10-ball long before it became en Vogue have to like all the changes. Maybe the WPA should have polled the people who were already playing it to see what rules need to be applied (eg, no 10-ball on the bottom corners on the break).

I just scratch my head when players new to 10-ball or any pool game think that such-and-such rules have always been like that.

Good to know. I have only played on the rare occasion I get to Denver. One rule I found interesting, if your opponent flukes a safe without calling it you can make him take the shot.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I guess I'm in the minority here in thinking that for pro level play, ruling out as much of the luck factor as you can would be preferred by the players. Call shot call safety 10-ball is the ultimate skill test. I realize it does eliminate the skill / thinking involved in executing 2-way shots.

A 2-way shot, is when you're thinking about if you miss the shot, you want to try to control the CB and OB to increase the chance of leaving your opponent a tough shot. However, if you are thinking in the lines of "if you miss this shot, make sure you overcut it", how often do you end up overcutting it just enough to miss it, but still leave it hanging in the pocket?

For pro level players, I'm guessing that even on a tough long cut shot, they are either trying to make the shot or play safety - not a little of both, as may be the case for most of us.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good to know. I have only played on the rare occasion I get to Denver. One rule I found interesting, if your opponent flukes a safe without calling it you can make him take the shot.
Just curious, to enforce that rule you state above, if it's not call shot call safe rules, how do you know when the player is playing a safe or trying to make a shot? I assume he has to announce his intentions before shooting every shot? Otherwise, I could see problems resulting.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Just curious, to enforce that rule you state above, if it's not call shot call safe rules, how do you know when the player is playing a safe or trying to make a shot? I assume he has to announce his intentions before shooting every shot? Otherwise, I could see problems resulting.

I believe you are correct Chris. The incoming player must state his intentions before shooting. I will admit I have never played the game by the "improved rules".

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I guess I'm in the minority here in thinking that for pro level play, ruling out as much of the luck factor as you can would be preferred by the players. Call shot call safety 10-ball is the ultimate skill test.
Lots of people think this, and it sounds great saying, but reality is that there is no billiard game at the highest level that is anything like these stringent rules (call shot/call safety/penalty for dropping an uncalled ball.

Snooker
3C

Arguably the two most difficult execution games have no such rules nor should they ever.

Bowling, golf, baseball, basketball... no such "anti-fluke" rules.

Why would then we think that it's "better" for our American 10-ball game to be "call all the details, and get penalized for luck"?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lots of people think this, and it sounds great saying, but reality is that there is no billiard game at the highest level that is anything like these stringent rules (call shot/call safety/penalty for dropping an uncalled ball.

Snooker
3C

Arguably the two most difficult execution games have no such rules nor should they ever.

Bowling, golf, baseball, basketball... no such "anti-fluke" rules.

Why would then we think that it's "better" for our American 10-ball game to be "call all the details, and get penalized for luck"?
Fred, 14.1 is very close to no a no fluke game, although 2 way shots are allowed and played even at the highest level. Only time that is not the case is if you miss a called shot and 4 rail it around the table and make it in the intended pocket, in which case it counts.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe you are correct Chris. The incoming player must state his intentions before shooting. I will admit I have never played the game by the "improved rules".
So it sounds like that indeed is call shot, call safety rules you are referring to in that Denver poolroom?

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
So it sounds like that indeed is call shot, call safety rules you are referring to in that Denver poolroom?

My apologies Chris, I was not very clear on my earlier post. The Denver players seem to prefer to play ten ball by nine ball rules.

By the way I looked up your room and you run a very nice place. I will stop in on my travels and say hi!

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My apologies Chris, I was not very clear on my earlier post. The Denver players seem to prefer to play ten ball by nine ball rules.

By the way I looked up your room and you run a very nice place. I will stop in on my travels and say hi!
Looking forward to it! If you make it on a Monday night at 7pm, that is when we have our weekly 9-ball tournament, $15 entry, double elimination, A-B-C handicaps with all races to 4, and we have a mix of various ranked players.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Looking forward to it! If you make it on a Monday night at 7pm, that is when we have our weekly 9-ball tournament, $15 entry, double elimination, A-B-C handicaps with all races to 4, and we have a mix of various ranked players.

I will remember that. Your menu and food look fantastic.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For pro level players, I'm guessing that even on a tough long cut shot, they are either trying to make the shot or play safety - not a little of both, as may be the case for most of us.

Ever heard the term "missing on the Pro side"? :rolleyes:

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That is as dumb as it gets. They had a couple of these ridiculous pass it back pro events a few years ago. They were horrendous to watch as a spectator and I can't remember one single pro who came on to announce a match that had anything good to say about those bastardized rules.