Chalk etiquette?

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
One of my bigger pet peeves in pool. Chalk should always face up... .and please, stop "dumping" the balls out of the tray on to the table like a 5 year old.... just remove them quietly, it takes all of 3 seconds. yikes !!!

I also hate this, but people in league don't care about the equipment. I tell them they missed their shot or position because leaving the chalk face down is bad luck...

This is surprisingly effective.

b

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Blue cloth Valleys where I play during the week. Blue masters chalk provided. Tables get allot of league and general play and owner changes out cloth regularly and we keep them up best we regulars can.

There is a guy that comes in from time to time with 'his' black Silver Cup and leaves his black crap all over cue ball and table. I can tell what table he has been playing from the night before by all the black leftovers and I clean it up.

All of us who play loathe the black dots all over the cue ball and black dust, debris on our blue cloth. It gets smeared into and stains cloth. One night he comes over and drops his quarters on the 8' table we play allot on ( there are three 7 sevens and one 8' footer) I tell him he is not welcome to play if he insists on using his 'special' black chalk it leaves black all over the cue ball and table. He thinks I am joking. I am not.

His turn to rack later on and out comes the black chalk. As soon as he leaves it on the rail after his dry break I snatch it and put it in my pocket. Once he notices it's gone he throws a fit 'wheres my chalk' I told him in the garbage but welcome to play with any of the 2-3 cubes of blue masters on the rail but opts to put his cue away and storms off like a little girl. He almost cried. Haven't seen him for sometime.

I am a very reasonable and respectful sportsmen. HOwever, I think it's rude and inconsiderate to deface balls and tables with dark colored ( Black, Red, Dk Brown) non-matching chalk on any table.

Have a good week,

-Kat,

I love this one!!!! We have a couple of experts up here that use black chalk on Diamonds with blue cloth, it makes a tremendous mess. Once I asked why he uses black chalk, his answer "I have a black Kamui tip and I am supposed to use this black chalk". I told him "once you spend $30 bucks on a tip you should be able to make more than 1 ball in row", I guess that did not really come out of my mouth but I certainly did think it. :mad::mad::mad:

ElLeon

Headshot
Silver Member
Generally it's the people that can't play a lick bring that crap to the table.

It is a medical condition many people have, like being ugly or necrophilia. The term is palmar hyperhidrosis and people can have this condition irrespective of their skill level at billiards.

Thankfully, I don't suffer from it, but those who do will need a drying agent. Gloves typically won't work for an entire match depending on how acute the palmar hyperhidrosis is.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I also hate this, but people in league don't care about the equipment. I tell them they missed their shot or position because leaving the chalk face down is bad luck...

This is surprisingly effective.

b

Interestingly enough, most of the "league" players around here that put the chalk face down are also the ones who gamble more than the rest of us. The league-only folks tend to not do that.

Take that for what you will.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if your chalking right shouldn't really be leaving anything expecpt for the chalk residue on the CB....the greys pretty neutra imop no worse than people with hand chalk thats for sure, i just find the grey in masters and silver cup kind of dry for some reason....feels more gritty than the blue...but lets not derail on that subject lol

unless your trying to save money, tournament green and blue are the only colors a table should come in.....theres been studies done that show that the green is the best on the eyes long run....

i've seen the reds and it drives me nuts....there used to be a local spot that was just a bar witha 8ft that had black felt with the jack daniels logo on it lol....was terrible but at least you couldn't see the booze stains on it in the dim lighting....wasn't really for play, mostly atmosphere i guess.

Although simulated, see the first 2 seconds of this clip. You're saying this doesn't happen? https://www.facebook.com/Kozoom/videos/10154058027173023/

I agree with others. There's an advantage to using different colors. You can see how filthy the cloth is. I chuckle when I read someone stating they really take good care of their equipment. "I practice 4 hours a day and I thoroughly vacuum my table at least once a month"

At this rate its twice a day for me and truthfully that's not enough!! Then cleaned nearly like new balls go on. I'm lucky, maybe lazy, my rack of balls has only 3 to clean.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Chalk

The owner of bar that I shot most my pool at hung chalk from strings and pulley systems so the chalk wouldn't fall in one of the pockets and plug the table up.

So one time I am out of town playing at a weekly tournament and I reach up to grab the chalk .
There was no chalk, and I looked like some freak who took one to many hits of LSD..

From that point on because the bar owner didn't want chalk on his tables and I didn't want to look like a idiot reaching for chalk that isn't there I started to use a pocket chalker .
Then I started to make my own.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Although simulated, see the first 2 seconds of this clip. You're saying this doesn't happen? https://www.facebook.com/Kozoom/videos/10154058027173023/

I agree with others. There's an advantage to using different colors. You can see how filthy the cloth is. I chuckle when I read someone stating they really take good care of their equipment. "I practice 4 hours a day and I thoroughly vacuum my table at least once a month"

At this rate its twice a day for me and truthfully that's not enough!! Then cleaned nearly like new balls go on. I'm lucky, maybe lazy, my rack of balls has only 3 to clean.

no again i have a tendency to be to general....of course i know it leaves chalk.....i know what it takes to actually have CLEAN tables....but just in general, you shouldn't be chalking over the table and caking it on like i see many do all to often....its not paint...its pixie dust lol...but i've seen red just go buckwild being careful too on tan cloth lol

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No need for simulated when the real thing is available....

https://youtu.be/avFjRgzTL-w?t=32s

That's not a special tip the shooter is using -- it's his usual Moori.

He said "properly chalked" I know I'm guilty of not properly chalking every time or really most times. Hmmm Looks like another Slo-Mo experiment.

Does chalk fly no matter what?

Good luck with all the " you should have" blah blah blah

nj82tj

The dude abides.
Silver Member
The owner of bar that I shot most my pool at hung chalk from strings and pulley systems so the chalk wouldn't fall in one of the pockets and plug the table up.

So one time I am out of town playing at a weekly tournament and I reach up to grab the chalk .
There was no chalk, and I looked like some freak who took one to many hits of LSD..

From that point on because the bar owner didn't want chalk on his tables and I didn't want to look like a idiot reaching for chalk that isn't there I started to use a pocket chalker .

Those are really nice.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
He said "properly chalked" I know I'm guilty of not properly chalking every time or really most times. Hmmm Looks like another Slo-Mo experiment.

Does chalk fly no matter what?

Good luck with all the " you should have" blah blah blah

im sure it does....but its like when recovering a table...a table thats taken care of will not have much chalk dust on the slate....one that isn't, could have enough to fill a baking soda box....ive seen it lol

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no again i have a tendency to be to general....of course i know it leaves chalk.....i know what it takes to actually have CLEAN tables....but just in general, you shouldn't be chalking over the table and caking it on like i see many do all to often....its not paint...its pixie dust lol...but i've seen red just go buckwild being careful too on tan cloth lol

Grinding, Drilling isn't good.

From the looks of things I'm a driller but doesn't feel that way. Proofs in the pudding.
I admire the guys with the piece that's lasted a year.
I'm trying to correct my ways. Chalk is just one of many things.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

Very Cool Mike :thumbup:

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
agreed....black? i mean come one....why not just use neverseize for hand chalk lol
Haha! That's a good one! Would never guess that would be mentioned on a pool site.
Remember: "Don't ever get that stuff in your eyes"or....................
(I know lame joke but always gets someone):D

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now on for a completely ignorant post from me, again learned from the Carom player:

I fscking don't care about the color of the cloth and the/my chalk, because:
Carom players DRAW with a white pencil on their tables, to practise shots or change games (new markers for new game).

Table maintenance consists of vacuuming the table and brushing it up. It takes close to 2 minutes on a 9 foot.

Room owners - do the maintenance, every night. Don't expect me to play on a neglected table. Don't expect me to ruin my tip with your crappy chalk.
Privat owners - it's your private table, go maintain it for gods sake after playing with friends (or hand me the vacuumer).

Cheers,
M

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No need for simulated when the real thing is available....

https://youtu.be/avFjRgzTL-w?t=32s

That's not a special tip the shooter is using -- it's his usual Moori.

And all that was filmed at my Carom club.

As you can see from the tip: it's a Carom cue, mid 90s. Talk about LD ferrules even back then when Pool was oblivious and "in the good old times" :)
I highly recommend watching it in detail. There's also a (german?) book about all of that.

Cheers,
M

Last edited:

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Now on for a completely ignorant post from me, again learned from the Carom player:

I fscking don't care about the color of the cloth and the/my chalk, because:
Carom players DRAW with a white pencil on their tables, to practise shots or change games (new markers for new game).

Table maintenance consists of vacuuming the table and brushing it up. It takes close to 2 minutes on a 9 foot.

Room owners - do the maintenance, every night. Don't expect me to play on a neglected table. Don't expect me to ruin my tip with your crappy chalk.
Privat owners - it's your private table, go maintain it for gods sake after playing with friends (or hand me the vacuumer).

Cheers,
M

what i have always used to mark my tables for practice and such, its what i use to install and mark cloth for that too instead of a pen and such.....

http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/dritz-chalk-wheel-kit.php

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Haha! That's a good one! Would never guess that would be mentioned on a pool site.
Remember: "Don't ever get that stuff in your eyes"or....................
(I know lame joke but always gets someone):D

im a safety systems instrumentation mercenary off shore lol....choppas, wata, fishin, neverseize, locktite 454 and swedgelock and box end wrenches and stainless tubing are part of my daily life lol...i play with plc and scada systems too but i'm an air head at heart :)

regards,

Grand Masta Keeb (what my crew calls me lmfao)