More camera help - video

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Dont need to pronounce it...... just need to buy it...... :grin-square:
Just think of it as the schmelke of the 'go pro' style cameras. ;)

thats an awesome metaphor...rep to yousir...if someone doesn't understand this....you do not belong here, go home lol

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Thanks everyone. Special thanks to Bob J. & Fast Lennie. I like the Canon G20 or might take look at the Panasonic.
I'm am a Canon fan so that might influence me.

M.Mike....thanks for taking the time to review and suggest the equipment. It's way more than I need but if I ever got serious I'd have a chat with you. Your photography is absolutely beautiful. So are your pool accessories. You have great hands man.

You can find used Canon HF G10s for like $500 on Ebay. I would go that route. For around $700 you can get the HF G20 and HF G30 for around a grand. All great cameras.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
BH photo has the HF20 on back order. I'm on the "notify when back in stock" list. They're selling for $799. It's the HF20 or a different Canon if the back order takes forever. Next...It will most likely be used on Auto mode. Should be fine huh.

Then HF40 has wifi....where does that come into play.

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dont need to pronounce it...... just need to buy it...... :grin-square:
Just think of it as the schmelke of the 'go pro' style cameras. ;)

Time out for a self inflicted HiJack. I am enjoying my Schmelkes. For the price of the Canon I could buy more....oh never mind.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Canon HF20 is back in stock at BH Photo. I placed an order. Thanks for everyone's help.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
Shooting video on a DSLR is a pain in the ass compared to using any half way decent video camera. The only real benefit to the DSLR is the depth of field you can get and ability to change lenses for different looks. Audio with a DSLR is a pain....autofocus almost always sucks. You have to do everything manual. DSLR video does look cool when its done right but for any situation where you want good solid video without having to fool with a bunch of details you want a real video camera.

I have a Canon 5D Mk III and some nice lenses, lots of pro audio gear and experience making it all work. Unless I specifically need the DSLR look I always use a Canon XF105 or a GoPro for video depending on the situation. Any modern camcorder over $500 should do more than most people will ever need. Canon or Panasonic are my two favorites.

Spend a few hundred on a decent tripod and head. It matters.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
HF20 is different from the HF G20. Don't be confused as the HF G10 and HF G20 are superior cameras.

Thanks Fast...it is HF G20...$799...
Hey thanks again for your help..regardless of how much it is used I'll get great service from it. Will use it for pool and I'm doing a short video on pen turning for a friend. Should be fun.

Last edited:

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Shooting video on a DSLR is a pain in the ass compared to using any half way decent video camera. The only real benefit to the DSLR is the depth of field you can get and ability to change lenses for different looks. Audio with a DSLR is a pain....autofocus almost always sucks. You have to do everything manual. DSLR video does look cool when its done right but for any situation where you want good solid video without having to fool with a bunch of details you want a real video camera.

I have a Canon 5D Mk III and some nice lenses, lots of pro audio gear and experience making it all work. Unless I specifically need the DSLR look I always use a Canon XF105 or a GoPro for video depending on the situation. Any modern camcorder over $500 should do more than most people will ever need. Canon or Panasonic are my two favorites.

Spend a few hundred on a decent tripod and head. It matters.

The XF105 is a nice cam for sure. I like Canon and have owned a dozen of them and never had any trouble. I have used Panasonic and they are great cameras too. I don't have any experience using DSLR for video but heard it can be a pain if you are not familiar with them which I certainly am not.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
It is used or open box. It is probably ok and has a return offering just rather buy new from BH. But to save $200+ I could buy another Schmelke. And I need another cue like a snail needs air brakes.

If you wait too long someone will be picking it up. Good deal on it and Adorama is a good seller with 90 warranty on it. You should be fine.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you wait too long someone will be picking it up. Good deal on it and Adorama is a good seller with 90 warranty on it. You should be fine.

I did order from BH yesterday. Item was shipped and coming in today. I am ok with ordering new.... but I do appreciate your help/advice. You are an asset to the pool and video community.
I see Adorama will take an offer on that HF G20 if anyone is interested. $200 is a nice chunk.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I did order from BH yesterday. Item was shipped and coming in today. I am ok with ordering new.... but I do appreciate your help/advice. You are an asset to the pool and video community.
I see Adorama will take an offer on that HF G20 if anyone is interested. $200 is a nice chunk.

I couldn't pass it up myself, haha. Needed a backup anyway. $543 :grin-square:

Attachments

• ebay.jpg
    ebay.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 636

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I couldn't pass it up myself, haha. Needed a backup anyway. $543 :grin-square:

Way to go. You know a nice thing when you see it. The one I just bought is my first serious piece of equipment.... If I should start expanding I certainly would look at pre-owned. Enjoy your new purchase.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Way to go. You know a nice thing when you see it. The one I just bought is my first serious piece of equipment.... If I should start expanding I certainly would look at pre-owned. Enjoy your new purchase.

I buy all video and computer equipment new most of the time along with some audio stuff. The only thing I don't like buying used are TVs, always buy them new. Enjoy yours too buddy! :thumbup:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I buy all video and computer equipment new most of the time along with some audio stuff. The only thing I don't like buying used are TVs, always buy them new. Enjoy yours too buddy! :thumbup:

Damn is this thing small. Compact and full of good stuff

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 726