Value of 87-7 Signed Helmstetter Cue

These are nice cues but they are not Custom Helmstetter cues, they are production cues. The cue was made in the 1990's, even though it says that the cue is a 87-7, this is not the year it is the cues series.

Below I have posted the Original catalog with the retail price listing when it was made.

View attachment 99865

View attachment 99866

View attachment 99867

View attachment 99868

If the cue is straight, it is worth around $200, this is because Helmstetter Production cues were made in Japan. It also has to do with the fact that there is no Collector interest, which I do not agree with at all. The cues are great hitting cues in my opinion, and if I were you I would use it as a player.

I have what appears to be the 87-8 model. I assume it was also made sometime in the 90's? Are Helmstetter pool cues made anymore? Just curious. Thanks.

Attachments

• DSCN3951.jpg
    DSCN3951.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 723
  • DSCN3952.jpg
    DSCN3952.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 734
  • DSCN3955.jpg
    DSCN3955.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 747
  • DSCN3959.jpg
    DSCN3959.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 658
  • DSCN3958.jpg
    DSCN3958.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 740
Nope...no longer made.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Does anyone know when Adam stopped making Helmstetter cues? Just very curious. I wonder why they are no longer made. Maybe because of the pool economy (cue market economy)? Were they no longer a decent value for the money (in most peoples opinions)? Do other cue companies from Japan (I can only think of Mezz) build a higher quality cue? I assume so (based on their retail prices), but I do not know. Why can a cue company like Mezz do good, but Adam / Helmstetter can't? I guess they are just completely different (with Mezz being more like a Predator / low deflection cue market).

roscoe2

Registered
My main straight pool cue is a Helmstetter 87-14. My other game cue is a Helmstetter 87-4. Bought both back in the 80's. I also have a 98-6 sitting in the closet.

helm4a.JPG

helm4b.JPG

helm3a.JPG

helm3b.JPG

Roscoe

My main straight pool cue is a Helmstetter 87-14. My other game cue is a Helmstetter 87-4. Bought both back in the 80's. I also have a 98-6 sitting in the closet.

helm4a.JPG

helm4b.JPG

helm3a.JPG

helm3b.JPG

Roscoe

Very beautiful cues. They (Helmstetter cues in general) seem to be really rare. Very rarely ever seen for sale online.

jkcubfan

My Helmstette

I also have an "old" Helmstetter. I purchased it NEW through my local pool hall circa 1985 or 86.

It also does NOT have stainless joint, rather an acrylic like yours. Tons of beautiful inlay (more than yours).

I've been shooting with it (and I get a LOT of "who made your cue" as well as some compliments about it) for over 30 years, new ferrule and butt cap and wrap (newer) all original otherwise.

Never tried to sell, I've been told that it's rare and the right collectors will pay up.

jkcubfan

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Don't believe anything the Bluebook says - thats my advice. Especially when it comes to value.

Everybody who has an old cue or a cue by a dead cuemaker thinks its the same as a Bushka or G Szamboti, its not and never will be. Just saw this happen with Scruggs, everybody in Maryland with one thought they were rich all of a sudden, they weren't.
Jason

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
There are "collectors" for everything, 99.9% would lose money if they sold their collection. If you have something very rare by a guy that turned out THOUSANDS OR TENS OF THOUSANDS of cues, it might be worth a little to somebody, probably not much though.

Now if you have something very rare by one of the top top guys, you've got something.
Btw, a top guy isnt a Bill Stroud, Scruggs, etc. You know who they are no matter how bad you want your guy to be.
Jason