Old
  (#1)
Flazell
My son gambling at V.F.
Flazell is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

Best Glue? - 04-10-2017, 11:02 AM

Fellow Members,

I want to start trying to handle installing my own tips on my cue and my son's cue moving forward. What would you guys consider to be the best glue to use? From everything I've read thus far, it seems to be a "super" glue, but the gel variety? Is this true?

Also, any tips you could give me for installing tips would be great.

I'm currently putting a shopping list together for some tips, a Tina knife, pads (for under the tip) and a couple other things.

Look forward to hearing from you and thank you in advance.

Playing Cue: Donnelly '09 w/ Tiger Pro-X Shaft
Break Cue: Predator Sneaky Pete w/ Phenolic Ferrule
Jump Cue: Stealth 3 Piece w/ Phenolic Ferrule
Case: Instroke Leather "Soft" Case

Old
  (#2)
louieatienza
AzB Silver Member
louieatienza has a reputation beyond reputelouieatienza has a reputation beyond reputelouieatienza has a reputation beyond reputelouieatienza has a reputation beyond reputelouieatienza has a reputation beyond reputelouieatienza has a reputation beyond reputelouieatienza has a reputation beyond reputelouieatienza has a reputation beyond reputelouieatienza has a reputation beyond reputelouieatienza has a reputation beyond reputelouieatienza has a reputation beyond repute

04-10-2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flazell View Post
Fellow Members,

I want to start trying to handle installing my own tips on my cue and my son's cue moving forward. What would you guys consider to be the best glue to use? From everything I've read thus far, it seems to be a "super" glue, but the gel variety? Is this true?

I'm currently putting a shopping list together for some tips, a Tina knife, pads (for under the tip) and a couple other things.

I do not like any of the hardware store super glues much. I get my gel CA at the local hobby store. You get a lot more for your money, and it lasts a bit longer too.

Old
  (#3)
Kimmo H.
AzB Silver Member
Kimmo H. has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo H. has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo H. has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo H. has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo H. has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo H. has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo H. has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo H. has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo H. has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo H. has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo H. has a reputation beyond repute

04-11-2017, 01:24 AM

I wrote a little about the way I install tips a while back when another member was having issues with tips he had installed, here is a link; http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpo...75&postcount=8

Loctite 401 is my personal favourite glue for tips, it sets very fast so you need to lay the tip concentric to the ferrule right away but it is very strong and works for break tips too. If you dont have acces to 401 other members here have used and recommended Loctite professional gel for tip installs.
I also recommend buying a good tip shaper like a Last4ever tip tool to make the radius for the tip. Using a tool like that ensures that the tips come out the same shape I have the combo versio myself with both Nickel and dime radius shapers.
Feel free to PM me if I left something out and I'll get back to you
- Kimmo

- Lomax
- Mezz Kai / Pro R

Old
  (#4)
M.G.
AzB Silver Member
M.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond repute

04-11-2017, 04:41 AM

Usually it's important to use gel type that you are able to move the tip a bit and have a little more elastic that just hard glue bonding.

The rest is just as with usual super glues, they're almost instantly usable. I wait for about 1-2hours still.

I prefer the gel type that sets after 30 seconds or so, not too quickly. I sometimes have to install 9mm tips on 9mm shafts, so I need to be very careful here.

ATM I'm using BISON Super Glue Gel and am almost happy. It sets a bit too quickly, and it's not expensive, readily available. Other than that extremely good glueing on my ash shaft and Snooker brass ferrule.
I do a few small grooves with the fine blade into the wood and the tip to increase glueing area.

Check this overview:
http://na.henkel-adhesives.com/indus...sive-14975.htm

Cheers,
M

Last edited by M.G.; 04-11-2017 at 04:44 AM.

Old
  (#5)
Flazell
My son gambling at V.F.
Flazell is on a distinguished road

04-14-2017, 10:21 PM

Thank you for all the information! It's really appreciated!!!

Playing Cue: Donnelly '09 w/ Tiger Pro-X Shaft
Break Cue: Predator Sneaky Pete w/ Phenolic Ferrule
Jump Cue: Stealth 3 Piece w/ Phenolic Ferrule
Case: Instroke Leather "Soft" Case

Old
  (#6)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

04-14-2017, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
I do not like any of the hardware store super glues much. I get my gel CA at the local hobby store. You get a lot more for your money, and it lasts a bit longer too.
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/loc-sa...lp:product:1:1
Better deal than that?
Two blue bottles for tips.
Two reds for base coating the bottom of the tips. And a lot use in sealing the pits on woods before epoxy coat.

Old
  (#7)
louieatienza
AzB Silver Member
louieatienza has a reputation beyond reputelouieatienza has a reputation beyond reputelouieatienza has a reputation beyond reputelouieatienza has a reputation beyond reputelouieatienza has a reputation beyond reputelouieatienza has a reputation beyond reputelouieatienza has a reputation beyond reputelouieatienza has a reputation beyond reputelouieatienza has a reputation beyond reputelouieatienza has a reputation beyond reputelouieatienza has a reputation beyond repute

04-15-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyInCali View Post
Better deal than that?
Two reds for base coating the bottom of the tips. And a lot use in sealing the pits on woods before epoxy coat.
http://www.supergluecorp.com/?q=zap-...ucts/zap-glues

Old
  (#8)
Sport666
FC3 Custom Cues & Repairs
Sport666 has a reputation beyond reputeSport666 has a reputation beyond reputeSport666 has a reputation beyond reputeSport666 has a reputation beyond reputeSport666 has a reputation beyond reputeSport666 has a reputation beyond reputeSport666 has a reputation beyond reputeSport666 has a reputation beyond reputeSport666 has a reputation beyond reputeSport666 has a reputation beyond reputeSport666 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-20-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyInCali View Post
Better deal than that?
Wow great price

Old
  (#9)
CuesRus1973
AzB Silver Member
CuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond repute

06-28-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flazell View Post
Fellow Members,

Medium viscosity works best for me. The thinner the viscosity the faster it sets. Gel takes too long for tips imo. Thin is almost instant. medium gives you a few seconds to reposition the tip if you miss. Gel can be used for ferrules but epoxy is better. Store your superglue in a refrigerator. It slows the chemical process of aging.

Keepin' the rubber side down...

Old
  (#10)
CuesRus1973
AzB Silver Member
CuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond reputeCuesRus1973 has a reputation beyond repute

06-28-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
Hardware store super glues are made for home use and are "watered down". Find an industrial one.

Keepin' the rubber side down...

Old
  (#11)
greyghost
exile
greyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond repute

07-05-2017, 08:22 AM

locktite 454 has been my homie for 20 years

Old
  (#12)
stevel
Lomax Custom Cues

stevel has a reputation beyond reputestevel has a reputation beyond reputestevel has a reputation beyond reputestevel has a reputation beyond reputestevel has a reputation beyond reputestevel has a reputation beyond reputestevel has a reputation beyond reputestevel has a reputation beyond reputestevel has a reputation beyond reputestevel has a reputation beyond reputestevel has a reputation beyond repute

07-30-2017, 07:08 PM

Loctite Professional liquid for me. Been using it for years.

Steve Lomax
LOMAX CUSTOM CUES & REPAIRS
PO BOX 414
Cornelia,GA. 30531
706-776-1252(shop) 706-499-0803(cell)
[email]stevenl@windstream.net

Old
  (#13)
GBCues
Damn, still .002 TIR!
GBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-02-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmo H. View Post
I wrote a little about the way I install tips a while back when another member was having issues with tips he had installed, here is a link; http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpo...75&postcount=8

Loctite 401 is my personal favourite glue for tips, it sets very fast so you need to lay the tip concentric to the ferrule right away but it is very strong and works for break tips too. If you dont have acces to 401 other members here have used and recommended Loctite professional gel for tip installs.
I also recommend buying a good tip shaper like a Last4ever tip tool to make the radius for the tip. Using a tool like that ensures that the tips come out the same shape I have the combo versio myself with both Nickel and dime radius shapers.
Feel free to PM me if I left something out and I'll get back to you
- Kimmo
I too find 401 to be the best I have used. I've installed many tips with it, but recently a couple of White Diamonds. They are known to be difficult tips to install, but no problem with 401.
It's not cheap and it's not at Home Depot or Ace Hardware, but it's good. A friend/fellow player asked me once what glue I used and after I told him, he said "That's good stuff! We used it in aircraft manufacturing."
That's a pretty good recommendation!
My 2 cents,
Gary

Player - GBCues 18oz BEM Front, Leather Wrap, and Black Walnut Buttcap Player. OB-2 Shaft
BreakStick - GBCues 17oz Marblewood Front, Leather Wrap, Mahogany Butt Cap (Black Walnut Shaft)

Old
  (#14)
mchnhed
Steve Banning
mchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond repute

08-07-2017, 03:03 PM

401 is a liquid.
It could soak into a tip too much and stiffen it.

454 is a gel.
The manufacturer says "non-migrating".

The Pro Gel sounds good with it's impact resistant rubber additive.

Great info everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBCues View Post
I too find 401 to be the best I have used. I've installed many tips with it, but recently a couple of White Diamonds. They are known to be difficult tips to install, but no problem with 401.
It's not cheap and it's not at Home Depot or Ace Hardware, but it's good. A friend/fellow player asked me once what glue I used and after I told him, he said "That's good stuff! We used it in aircraft manufacturing."
That's a pretty good recommendation!
My 2 cents,
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyghost View Post
locktite 454 has been my homie for 20 years

Shoot Pool
Not People

Old
  (#15)
beneath_the_sur
play 1cushion & balkline
beneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond repute

08-07-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchnhed View Post
401 is a liquid.
It could soak into a tip too much and stiffen it.

454 is a gel.
The manufacturer says "non-migrating".

The Pro Gel sounds good with it's impact resistant rubber additive.

Great info everyone!

You really gonna come here and try to say something like that to a cue maker?

Where multiple cue makers say they useit
Steve Lomax even?!!

What experience do you have to make such a statement
None I bet,
Where does your bullshit end

Last edited by beneath_the_sur; 08-07-2017 at 05:51 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: