Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Pool Tables and Accessories Reviews
Reload this Page Canada Billiard La Condo Stainless 9' Table
Reply
Page 2 of 2 12
 
Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
Linwood
AzB Silver Member
Linwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond repute
 
Linwood's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 116
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Cape Coral, Florida
   
06-30-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denwhit View Post
. Your ability to compromise, probably keeps the wife.
I borrowed her "Wife dictionary" (don't tell) and under compromise it says "he will just agree with you, but should also apologize for even considering not agreeing with you".
  
Reply With Quote

Old
  (#17)
denwhit
AzB Silver Member
denwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond repute
 
denwhit's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 777
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: USA
   
07-01-2017, 04:58 PM

Did you good pool playing buddy come over and check it out? Please let us know how it plays.


*Pool is not my only fun thing. I love passing those gas stations in the Tesla.
*US Navy 1964-1970, USS Chicago CG-11
* Mark Gregory walnut rails
*RKC set up w/ 42 pt. leveling system
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#18)
Linwood
AzB Silver Member
Linwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond repute
 
Linwood's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 116
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Cape Coral, Florida
   
07-01-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denwhit View Post
Did you good pool playing buddy come over and check it out? Please let us know how it plays.
As mentioned, I have none that appear to be good at pool. I have a bunch that want to come play, we are having a party on the 4th, and it won't be configured as a dining table.

I've been playing at it now off and on a couple days (in between fixing up that bench, adjusting lighting, etc.).

I'm not experienced enough to comment much on feel. Some objective things:

- A good hard stroke, about like a break, from the break position lengthwise will hit four rails and come about mid-way back. From memory that's good active bounces; does it sound about right? Recognizing I cannot probably hit it straight as hard as someone experienced.

- Everything rolls really true. I can't hit anything straight, but with no spin balls track straight in all directions. I also got a digital level, experimented and found it would register a business card stuck under one end. I checked in all directions and all were either reading dead level or off by no more than that business card difference, i.e. the minimum reading.

- Because of the dining aspect it's 1" lower than standard (rail is 31", I think standard is 32"). That's noticeable. Not bad, but noticeable, even with me not in practice. Either that or 12 years older makes it harder to bend over, but I'm going with it being shorter, that's my story and I'll stick to it.

On the good side the lighting worked out nicely (I'm SO glad people here emphasized how important that was, and I spent time before hand redoing the cans and lights). The spacing is fine, we put it 54" off the wall -- well, off the molding, so about 55, and with about 6.5" rails I feel no tendency to hit the walls.

Really the only thing annoying is the shallow pockets. It's not really a big deal to pick up a few balls and either move to another pocket, or off the table, but it is annoying.

I'll eventually run into someone I know here who is a real, serious pool player, and get a more experienced opinion. Or meet some people; maybe once I get in practice a bit I'll go to one of the 8-ball tournaments they have nearby, and meet someone there.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#19)
denwhit
AzB Silver Member
denwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond repute
 
denwhit's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 777
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: USA
   
07-01-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linwood View Post
As mentioned, I have none that appear to be good at pool. I have a bunch that want to come play, we are having a party on the 4th, and it won't be configured as a dining table.

I've been playing at it now off and on a couple days (in between fixing up that bench, adjusting lighting, etc.).

I'm not experienced enough to comment much on feel. Some objective things:

- A good hard stroke, about like a break, from the break position lengthwise will hit four rails and come about mid-way back. From memory that's good active bounces; does it sound about right? Recognizing I cannot probably hit it straight as hard as someone experienced.

- Everything rolls really true. I can't hit anything straight, but with no spin balls track straight in all directions. I also got a digital level, experimented and found it would register a business card stuck under one end. I checked in all directions and all were either reading dead level or off by no more than that business card difference, i.e. the minimum reading.

- Because of the dining aspect it's 1" lower than standard (rail is 31", I think standard is 32"). That's noticeable. Not bad, but noticeable, even with me not in practice. Either that or 12 years older makes it harder to bend over, but I'm going with it being shorter, that's my story and I'll stick to it.

On the good side the lighting worked out nicely (I'm SO glad people here emphasized how important that was, and I spent time before hand redoing the cans and lights). The spacing is fine, we put it 54" off the wall -- well, off the molding, so about 55, and with about 6.5" rails I feel no tendency to hit the walls.

Really the only thing annoying is the shallow pockets. It's not really a big deal to pick up a few balls and either move to another pocket, or off the table, but it is annoying.

I'll eventually run into someone I know here who is a real, serious pool player, and get a more experienced opinion. Or meet some people; maybe once I get in practice a bit I'll go to one of the 8-ball tournaments they have nearby, and meet someone there.
Sounds like it's going to be fine. 4.5 X table length is about average speed so that is good. Now if it will "Z" a ball; from a corner pocket, hit the cue firmly about a foot short of the side pocket, the ball should form a "z" shape and possibly hit the end rail.


*Pool is not my only fun thing. I love passing those gas stations in the Tesla.
*US Navy 1964-1970, USS Chicago CG-11
* Mark Gregory walnut rails
*RKC set up w/ 42 pt. leveling system
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#20)
Linwood
AzB Silver Member
Linwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond repute
 
Linwood's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 116
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Cape Coral, Florida
   
07-02-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denwhit View Post
Sounds like it's going to be fine. 4.5 X table length is about average speed so that is good. Now if it will "Z" a ball; from a corner pocket, hit the cue firmly about a foot short of the side pocket, the ball should form a "z" shape and possibly hit the end rail.
Not certain I understand, but I did this: From the corner pocket, I hit a few inches before the diamond that side of the opposite side. It went off that rail, back to my rail, to back to the far rail near the furthest diamond on that side (same side as first hit), then hit the end rail. It takes only a moderate stroke to get it all the way, not nearly what it took for 4.5 lengths of the table.

If I hit closer to the diamond on the first rail (near the side) it goes further down the second rail (my side) and hits the end rail without striking the opposite side a second time. +/- if I put any spin, I was trying for a center hit.

So I gather that's what you expect?
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#21)
denwhit
AzB Silver Member
denwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond reputedenwhit has a reputation beyond repute
 
denwhit's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 777
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: USA
   
07-02-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linwood View Post
Not certain I understand, but I did this: From the corner pocket, I hit a few inches before the diamond that side of the opposite side. It went off that rail, back to my rail, to back to the far rail near the furthest diamond on that side (same side as first hit), then hit the end rail. It takes only a moderate stroke to get it all the way, not nearly what it took for 4.5 lengths of the table.

If I hit closer to the diamond on the first rail (near the side) it goes further down the second rail (my side) and hits the end rail without striking the opposite side a second time. +/- if I put any spin, I was trying for a center hit.

So I gather that's what you expect?
Yes, sounds like you can "Z" a ball. So many pool hall tables have the rails at the wrong height and off the 2nd rail, the ball will rebound straight across instead of keeping the z pattern. Now if you hit it hard with high english, after the 2 nd rail, it should drive toward the middle of the end rail.


*Pool is not my only fun thing. I love passing those gas stations in the Tesla.
*US Navy 1964-1970, USS Chicago CG-11
* Mark Gregory walnut rails
*RKC set up w/ 42 pt. leveling system
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#22)
Linwood
AzB Silver Member
Linwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond repute
 
Linwood's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 116
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Cape Coral, Florida
   
07-11-2017, 04:17 PM

On the off chance someone in the future is interested in these tables, a followup.

As I practice, and as I read more here, I continue to be quite impressed by the quality of the table itself. Balls roll really true throughout, the rails rebound as I expect when I try experiments based on videos (etc). We have yet to eat on it, but have set the dining top on a couple times, and it is beautiful, and pretty easy to put on and off. Lots of people have looked at it, and all expressed surprise how "dining" the dining table is.

I wish I had some real pool-expert friends to comment on how "pool" it is. But I'm happy.

There are two issues, both the pockets. I mentioned elsewhere the pockets are very shallow. That follows from being a very thin table to have your legs go under. I'm not sure there is a solution (that doesn't extend too low) short of some kind of elastic pockets.

The other that is becoming obvious though is the quality of the leather dye job is a bit fragile. On the good side it is not coming off on the balls. On the bad side, it is flaking off on top where the dining top touches it.

Here's a photo of it. The photo is taken so as to have high contrast and strongly show the texture of the finish, it is not quite so noticeably bad to the eye.





We may be contributing to this by not centering the top (which has a cutout for the pockets) precisely while installing, however the need to fit guide pins in between sections requires a bit of sliding. I think that sliding is doing this.

I suspect I could get new pockets from the manufacturer but as they are a custom size I do not think I can get different types of pockets, and this is something of a design error - they are finished with some kind of hard surface "paint" (for want of a better word) that does not extend into the leather, so if it abrades slightly the light color shows through. New ones of the same type finish will do the same.

I am going to look at some kind of leather dye, or maybe just shoe polish - something that will soak in a bit.

What's a bit fascinating about this, is despite a lot of play over the last couple weeks (I'm enthusiastic!) the pocket area where the balls hit -- quite hard at times -- is not the least damaged. It's just this top edge. So strong pressure does not seem to hurt anything, just abrasion.

This is mostly just an FYI for anyone considering them; though if someone has a specific leather repair suggestion let me know. I'm going to post that question on a leather workers forum though once I can get an account.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#23)
kid
billiard mechanic
kid has a reputation beyond reputekid has a reputation beyond reputekid has a reputation beyond reputekid has a reputation beyond reputekid has a reputation beyond reputekid has a reputation beyond reputekid has a reputation beyond reputekid has a reputation beyond reputekid has a reputation beyond reputekid has a reputation beyond reputekid has a reputation beyond repute
 
kid's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 133
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: May 2012
Location: montreal
   
07-11-2017, 05:36 PM

If you want something durable and don't mind the look too much, there is some shallow plastic pockets that fits


Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#24)
Linwood
AzB Silver Member
Linwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond repute
 
Linwood's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 116
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Cape Coral, Florida
   
07-11-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid View Post
If you want something durable and don't mind the look too much, there is some shallow plastic pockets that fits[/url]
Looks are pretty important, we paid a lot to get a nice piece of furniture (as mentioned somewhere else this was required to get it into the house past my wife).
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#25)
mchnhed
AzB Silver Mentalist
mchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond repute
 
mchnhed's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 912
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: North Hollywood
   
07-11-2017, 09:53 PM

Yes, PAINT is what is sometimes used on Leather Pockets on a Home Style Pool Table.

The only real solution would be to remove the pockets and take them to a shoe repair shop and have them remove the paint then dye and seal the leather.

You could "Treat" the tops yourself but.......
Messy, Messy, Messy.
or
Just dye the scuffed areas as they happen.
Be sure to use leather dye like that is used on shoes. Ask the shoe repair guy.
or
Live with it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Linwood View Post
The other that is becoming obvious though is the quality of the leather dye job is a bit fragile. On the good side it is not coming off on the balls. On the bad side, it is flaking off on top where the dining top touches it.

Here's a photo of it. The photo is taken so as to have high contrast and strongly show the texture of the finish, it is not quite so noticeably bad to the eye.





We may be contributing to this by not centering the top (which has a cutout for the pockets) precisely while installing, however the need to fit guide pins in between sections requires a bit of sliding. I think that sliding is doing this.

I suspect I could get new pockets from the manufacturer but as they are a custom size I do not think I can get different types of pockets, and this is something of a design error - they are finished with some kind of hard surface "paint" (for want of a better word) that does not extend into the leather, so if it abrades slightly the light color shows through. New ones of the same type finish will do the same.

I am going to look at some kind of leather dye, or maybe just shoe polish - something that will soak in a bit.

What's a bit fascinating about this, is despite a lot of play over the last couple weeks (I'm enthusiastic!) the pocket area where the balls hit -- quite hard at times -- is not the least damaged. It's just this top edge. So strong pressure does not seem to hurt anything, just abrasion.

This is mostly just an FYI for anyone considering them; though if someone has a specific leather repair suggestion let me know. I'm going to post that question on a leather workers forum though once I can get an account.


Shoot Pool
Not People

Last edited by mchnhed; 07-11-2017 at 09:55 PM.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#26)
Linwood
AzB Silver Member
Linwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond reputeLinwood has a reputation beyond repute
 
Linwood's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 116
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Cape Coral, Florida
   
07-12-2017, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchnhed View Post
Yes, PAINT is what is sometimes used on Leather Pockets on a Home Style Pool Table.

The only real solution would be to remove the pockets and take them to a shoe repair shop and have them remove the paint then dye and seal the leather.

You could "Treat" the tops yourself but.......
Messy, Messy, Messy.
or
Just dye the scuffed areas as they happen.
Be sure to use leather dye like that is used on shoes. Ask the shoe repair guy.
or
Live with it.
Yeah, I was afraid I would hear something like that. Dying as it happens is probably what I may try, if I can do so without it coming off on your hands. Removing them - maybe, unlike something like the cloth, it does not look that hard to take off and re-attach myself, but it is not high on my list of things to try. Plus I worry whether someone could remove and re-dye just part of it without leaving a mess.

I asked for advice as well on a leather site.
  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 2 of 2 12

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.