AzBilliards.com  
Register Blogs Classifieds FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Which Starrett 98?
Old
  (#1)
Tomster
AzB Bronze Member
Tomster is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

Which Starrett 98? - 06-19-2017, 04:19 AM

I will be levelling and re-clothing quite a few 3 piece, 1" thick slates in the coming months, and I'm in the process of getting kitted out with the right tools for the job.

Most are pretty straightforward, but there are several options for the Starrett levels in terms of size.

So, a couple of questions:

1. If you only bought one size and used it for all the installations - which size would it be?

2. If money were no object and you could have multiple units, which sizes would you choose?

Thanks in advance.

Tom.

Old
  (#2)
JoseV
AzB Silver Member
JoseV has a reputation beyond reputeJoseV has a reputation beyond reputeJoseV has a reputation beyond reputeJoseV has a reputation beyond reputeJoseV has a reputation beyond reputeJoseV has a reputation beyond reputeJoseV has a reputation beyond reputeJoseV has a reputation beyond reputeJoseV has a reputation beyond reputeJoseV has a reputation beyond reputeJoseV has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1800
Location: New Bedford Massachusetts<-Home. Currently in Hampton Va..
 Send a message via ICQ to JoseV Send a message via MSN to JoseV Send a message via Yahoo to JoseV  
06-19-2017, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomster View Post
I will be levelling and re-clothing quite a few 3 piece, 1" thick slates in the coming months, and I'm in the process of getting kitted out with the right tools for the job.

Most are pretty straightforward, but there are several options for the Starrett levels in terms of size.

So, a couple of questions:

1. If you only bought one size and used it for all the installations - which size would it be?

2. If money were no object and you could have multiple units, which sizes would you choose?

Thanks in advance.

Tom.
I bought a six inch one and it works out fine for me, but i would have to think the longer the better, even tho the six inch one is picking up a lot of things that a normal four foot level is not.

Reading my posts means you consent to my incorrect spelling and poor typing skills.

Name: Jose E. Vazquez
Playing Cue: The Enigma by Joss one of a Kind.
Full Core From Joint to Butt Plate. Forward Balanced.
92 Pieces of ivory inlaid Not counting Joint.
Break Cue: Joss Thor Hammer Black
Jump Cue: Woody
Case: Insroke 3 by 7 Saddle Series

Old
  (#3)
beneath_the_sur
play 1cushion & balkline
beneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond reputebeneath_the_sur has a reputation beyond repute

06-19-2017, 05:16 AM

I bought an import brand 12 inch for 80 bucks from the local machine shop tool sales store

working in machine shops, ive used expensive and cheap, cheap works just the same as the expensive, only difference is how they wear, which depends on whos using them and if they are taking care of them

Old
  (#4)
n10spool
PHD in table mechanics
n10spool has a reputation beyond reputen10spool has a reputation beyond reputen10spool has a reputation beyond reputen10spool has a reputation beyond reputen10spool has a reputation beyond reputen10spool has a reputation beyond reputen10spool has a reputation beyond reputen10spool has a reputation beyond reputen10spool has a reputation beyond reputen10spool has a reputation beyond reputen10spool has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700
  Send a message via Yahoo to n10spool  
07-02-2017, 10:13 PM

10"&12" are best to get most consistant leveling.

4"&6" hit to many valley's keeps changing level

15"&18" work faster but hits the peaks to far apart and dont let you raise the valley's.

All have their quirks practice and use notes on how it changes from adjustments

Old
  (#5)
Cuephoric
1hole anyone?
Cuephoric has a reputation beyond reputeCuephoric has a reputation beyond reputeCuephoric has a reputation beyond reputeCuephoric has a reputation beyond reputeCuephoric has a reputation beyond reputeCuephoric has a reputation beyond reputeCuephoric has a reputation beyond reputeCuephoric has a reputation beyond reputeCuephoric has a reputation beyond reputeCuephoric has a reputation beyond reputeCuephoric has a reputation beyond repute

07-15-2017, 09:05 PM

98-8 or 98-12 your best best generally if you're going with starrett. 98-12 pretty much the standard

"I bet you are some guy that cant play a #%$&* radio!!" - Donny Mills

"If you need weight, you don't need action, you need practice!"-Cuephoric

Great and beautiful cues may come and go, but ugly ones will keep showing up in your closet years after you thought they were gone........

Playing cues- STEVE KLEIN, Bobby Hunter, James White Conversion, Abear
Case- Murnak, Predator,instroke

Follow me to make money and support our sports!
http://www.competebank.com/login.php?refer=131

Old
  (#6)
Renegade_56
R56 Custom Cues
Renegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond repute

07-16-2017, 10:00 AM

RKC uses like 16 98-6, at the same time. Works for him.

Renegade_56

If winning is so easy why aren't the losers doing it?

R56 Custom Cues on Facebook

Old
  (#7)
Tomster
AzB Bronze Member
Tomster is on a distinguished road

07-16-2017, 09:23 PM

Thanks Guys.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: