whats the best book

DRW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO as far as learning shots I have to say Robert Byrnes volumes 1 and 2. Same concept as 99 critical shots, but better. Of course most pool junkies end up with all of them anyway. :)

Byrnes comes in DVD as well and better still
I, also really like the Byrnes books and DVD's

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I know it's too expensive for some, but after borrowing a friends copy of Mark Wilson's Play Great Pool I firmly believe it's perhaps the best book on pool instruction written to date. I just ordered my own copy today. The other books in this thread such as those by Byrne and 99 Critical Shots are classics and certainly worth checking out, but Play Great Pool is unlike the rest (in a good way) in my opinion.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
Play Great Pool by Mark Wilson and Dan Wardell, it's all you need.

Other books that I have used and thought were also good,

Guaranteed Improvement by Joe Tucker
The Advanced Pro Book by Bob Henning
Powerful Pool by Max Eberle

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
Is marks book more for the beginner or more for the advanced player?
I looked at the web page & it looks like a lot of nice diagrams, which I like.
Is it mostly about training exercises?
How many pages?

It covers all levels. It will take you through the basics and into advanced theory. One of the things that struck me about my first lesson with Mark is that one of the things he started me off with was the exact same shot he tells a pro to make. Most errors in fundamentals are present regardless of skill level.

It starts out teaching you orthodox fundamentals and explains why and how it is important to achieving advancement. It gives you diagrams, examples, drills and written instruction. It provides you with a planned program to improve your game. I don't have the book in front of me so I can't tell you how many pages but I can tell you this...it's enough! It is very dense material and I strongly recommend that you read each chapter at least twice.

The best thing I can say about this book is that you will get out of it exactly what you put into it. If you put in the work and follow his instructions you will improve. Whats more you will gain the skills necessary to teach yourself.

If, however, you are just looking for some inside secret info that upon reading it will advance your game by 4 balls, try something else. This is a workbook in every sense of the word.

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It covers all levels. It will take you through the basics and into advanced theory. One of the things that struck me about my first lesson with Mark is that one of the things he started me off with was the exact same shot he tells a pro to make. Most errors in fundamentals are present regardless of skill level.

It starts out teaching you orthodox fundamentals and explains why and how it is important to achieving advancement. It gives you diagrams, examples, drills and written instruction. It provides you with a planned program to improve your game. I don't have the book in front of me so I can't tell you how many pages but I can tell you this...it's enough! It is very dense material and I strongly recommend that you read each chapter at least twice.

The best thing I can say about this book is that you will get out of it exactly what you put into it. If you put in the work and follow his instructions you will improve. Whats more you will gain the skills necessary to teach yourself.

If, however, you are just looking for some inside secret info that upon reading it will advance your game by 4 balls, try something else. This is a workbook in every sense of the word.

The thing about Mark's Play Great Pool is that you will never, ever have to buy anothr instructional book for as long as you can hold a cue. Even a handcuffed corpse could take something from this book.

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're wet, cold, and trying to start a fire, "book of matches." :grin:

Last edited:

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
I have gotten something out of all of the books mentioned (used book stores are awesome!) but I think Mark Wilson's book has done the most to improve my game.

SeanChamp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you've ever read to learn and advance your game?? Drills?? how do you take it to the poolroom without looking like a dweeb??

Everyone answered everything but this. I'm from a small hick town with no pool halls, I practice on an 8 footer at a bar that no one frequents. My solution for The Pro Book, as an example was to take a pic of all the shots on my phone. Then at the table I just grab it and look at the pic of the shot I want to work on and set it up. Just looks like I'm checking messages or whatever.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Is marks book more for the beginner or more for the advanced player?
?

RK,
Mark's book was specifically designed to be of value to the beginner, the intermediate player, the advanced amateur player, the professional level player (yes...even elite pro players seek Mark's advice), and the pool instructors.

While it was a very ambitious goal; so far we have received good feedback from all of those groups.

I will also say that for the truly serious student of the game, he has included an entire chapter of "Required and Recommended Resources" (videos and books) that will cover certain subjects in more detail. He did not wish to "reinvent the wheel" and fill the book with material available elsewhere.

Best of luck to you.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You might be surprised by how many too cool, hard case, poolroom regulars have just a little bit of dweeb in them, when it comes to setting up drills.

I am a dweeb. I set up drills, and practice various shots from books, matches I've seen...etc on the table at the poolhall. Almost without fail, some of the old time regulars will idle over to check it out.

They will offer advice or suggest a slight variation that they think has more difficulty or merit. They will take turns trying to get through the drills better than each other...they will compare this drill by so and so, to another instructor's version or variation...and how they won the cheese making this shot or the other, that they picked up or perfected from this very drill...

I wouldn't worry about the dweeb thing...besides if you get shit for it, move to a far table and keep practicing...so one day you'll be jaded too, because you have nothing left to learn:cool:

You might surprise yourself at the room reaction to trying to better yourself thru drills...it may be more supportive than you thought

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
I apologize for not pouring over every response in this thread so this may well have been covered. I have and have studied all the Robert Byrne's books as well as 99 shots by Ray "Cool Cat" Martin as well as several other tomes. Does Mark's book, for its hefty price, move the dialogue forward worth the price?

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Aint looking to brag, but.... this is an email I received this morning from someone I havent seen in a few years. His dad used to own the Chicago Billiard Cafe.

Hey Freddy,

Long time no see. Hope you're in good health and still playing often.

I got a story for you: I've been living in the Netherlands for about 7 months now--I am studying at one of the universities in an exchange program. A few months ago, in the middle of winter, I was looking for something to do. I saw a posting on the door of the only poolhall for 20 miles, it was for a bank/one-pocket tournament. I was shocked that there would be a tournament like this in my small town in the middle of the Netherlands! Well, I hadn't played in 5 or 6 years, but I thought "what the ****", I'm from Chicago, I should be able to hold my own. It turns out I was pretty out of stroke, but I still managed to make it to the final 8. Anyhow, while I was there, word got around that I was from Chicago, and it turns out you have a large fan base in the Netherlands. I became an instant celebrity when they found out that I was a friend and old-time student of yours. A team of players from The Hague (there room is named the Hague 5) told me that they treat your book (Banking with the Beard) as a bible, and that they have weekly training sessions based upon it. The were starving for stories about you, and some of the other legends I was too young to fully appreciate back in the day.

I thought it was really cool that your persona has expanded so far, and I wanted to let you know about it. I don't know if you have ever been to the Netherlands, but I bet these guys would help pay your way if you were to give a lesson or two. I'm going to check on this for you. When I go and play in this Derby style tournament in a couple of months. All the guys I met will be there for the 10,000 euro guaranteed prize fund.

Good Luck and Good Health,
Kyle Van Den Bosch

University of Illinois-Urbana/Champaign
Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences
Fish and Wildlife Conservation
Class of 2014

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
whats the best book?
It depends on what you are looking for. FYI, here's a quote from the book review resource page:

from PoolMaster (on Amazon.com):

"The Illustrated Principles of Pool and Billiards" by David G. Alciatore
best all-round book with best illustrations and web resources

"Byrne's Complete Book of Pool Shots: 350 Moves Every Player Should Know" by Robert Byrne
comprehensive set of examples of every type of shot

"The 99 Critical Shots in Pool: Everything You Need to Know to Learn and Master the Game" by Ray Martin
99 of the best examples of types of shots

"Byrne's New Standard Book of Pool and Billiards" by Robert Byrne
great all-around intro book

"Pleasures of Small Motions: Mastering the Mental Game of Pocket Billiards" by Bob Fancher
great coverage of the mental side of the game

"Play Your Best Pool" by Philip B. Capelle
good all-around book for beginners

"Mike Massey's World of Trick Shots" by Mike Massey
best book dealing with trick shots, by the master

from dr_dave:

I would add the following to this list:

""The Eight Ball Bible" by R. Givens
best book dealing with 8-ball strategy, especially bar-box 8-ball

"Banking with the Beard" by Freddy Bentivegna
best book dealing with kick and bank shot aiming systems

"Pool & Billiards for Dummies" by N. Leider
excellent all-around introductory book

I haven't read Mark's book yet; although, I plan to read it soon. I would assume that it also belongs on the lists above.

IMO, there is no one "best" book. Any serious pool player should have a large collection of books (and videos) in their pool library. There are many things to learn from all of them.

Regards,
Dave