Mosconi Cup Disadvantage?

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think American teams are at a disadvantage in the Mosconi Cup. Are we forming a team based on shooters who live in America and are American citizens? If we are then why do we shoot against a Team Europe that gets players from all over Europe? What do you think would happen if there was a Team Philippines?

DGilb147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think American teams are at a disadvantage in the Mosconi Cup. Are we forming a team based on shooters who live in America and are American citizens? If we are then why do we shoot against a Team Europe that gets players from all over Europe? What do you think would happen if there was a Team Philippines?

Team Europe would give them a good thrashing.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I think American teams are at a disadvantage in the Mosconi Cup. Are we forming a team based on shooters who live in America and are American citizens? If we are then why do we shoot against a Team Europe that gets players from all over Europe?

Even if you restrict Team Europe to European citizens who are also residents of Europe, you'd be up against Souquet, Feijen, Boyes, Ekonomopoulos and Vandenberg. That would be a super-tough team to beat.

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably the biggest disadvantage is they aren't playing as well as Team Europe. :grin-square:

Last edited:

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Definitely what we need is a larger population.
Not practice, or team cohesion, or grace under pressure, or professionalism.
We just need a larger population.

Because then we can win the genetic lottery and have more people born with top-level pool skills,
which are a magical gift that only are given to only one in every 250 million babies.

If we get lucky and can discover 5 of these mega-talents within a pool of 1,000,000 people,
then we will finally have what it takes to beat team europe.

It's too bad there isn't some other way it can happen, and that pool is simply a game
of luck where you are born with the gift or you aren't.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm so sick and tired of people putting down the Americans. Considering the state of affairs in a fractured American pool industry, one which has not even a tour or an organization representing its interests to the WPA, the American pros are doing the best they can to survive. The BCA organization is responsible for what has happened to the professional pool in America. They dropped the ball when they let a man with not one iota of experience run a pro pool organization, only to have him reap the benefits of sponsors and jump ship when he recognized what he built was sinking faster than the Titanic.

Maybe the reason the Mosconi Cup has multiple countries versus the United States is because that's the only way they can win. Try to pit, as an example, Switzerland against Team USA and see how far they get.

USA, ALL THE WAY!

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
Okay to make it fair the US can play the West Yorkshire county team.

When the MC started out they only had a few European pool players and a few Snooker players to choose from.

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Presumably, he's a duel citizen, but this team wouldn't suffer much if you replaced him with Warren Kiamko.

Although Alex can definitely duel with the best of 'em, no matter who he's representing, he doesn't duel as a dual citizen. ;)

I also like Santos in the mix. :cool:

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
disadvantage?

Yes, the US has only 330 million people to search among for a team.

Maybe the Americans should ask for a spot?

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe it could be a team Asia?

USA is over 316 million people. Europe is estimated to about 700 million people.
But there is more European countries NOT represented in the Mosconi cup than there is European countries represented. So the actual numbers would be very different.

guitars34

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try to pit, as an example, Switzerland against Team USA and see how far they get.

USA, ALL THE WAY!

Actually, a team Switzerland would probably kick our asses too. I have played a few tournaments down in Zurich and am friends with Marco Tschudi, one of the best Swiss players who almost no longer plays and he is still a monster.

The real issue I have seen from living here in Germany over the last 4 years is that European players learn to play as children because the poolhalls are open to kids. They learn good fundamentals as well. You rarely see American kids get to go into poolhalls. But here in Stuttgart it is normal to see a 12 year old kid running drills on a Thursday night.

guitars34

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the States the poolhall is a place for drinkers, smokers and gamblers. Here is a place to play pool and get better.

Rasputin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the States the poolhall is a place for drinkers, smokers and gamblers. Here is a place to play pool and get better.

I was having a friendly money match just the other night, and my opponent complained he lost because of the noises the five year olds caused, running around the tables. This was around 11pm. I had earphones on.

Yes, this is Europe.