carom LD shafts

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well i just saw that tiger has released a low deflection version of their X carom shaft. and predator has a carom cue in the works, supposedly debuting later this year. these LD shafts have been pretty popular in the pool world, I wonder if they'll catch on in the carom world.

prior to tiger and predator, the only carom LD shafts I know about were from Japan. The Adam ACSS and the Mezz WD3C. Both are very hard to find in the US, and I don't know how widespread they are elsewhere. i have never tested either of them and not sure how LD they are.

just curious....any one here interested in LD technology for carom?

dogloose

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have some related questions on this subject:

Carom shafts generally have a conical or constant taper, and are usually much stiffer than a pro taper pool shaft. Does that mean carom shafts already are somewhat low deflection?

Would a "low deflection" carom shaft play even stiffer than a standard carom shaft? And if so... is that even desirable?

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Doug; You sir are 100% correct, the CAROM shaft is already LD, using a shaft with much more LD IMHO would be like playing with a tree trunk. You need some kind of feedback from a shaft to let the player know how he hit the cue ball and the action it created.

My personal favorite shaft for playing 3 Cushion is the Longoni Pro 69 shaft, with a 12 mm tip. and 4oz. in weight.

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"
[URL="http://www.mr3cushion.com"
]http://www.mr3cushion.com[/URL]

kilby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fully concur with Bill. A LD shaft in a carom configuration is overkill. They can dramatically improve a pool taper, but I don't recommend them to my customers for a carom shaft -- even tell them it is a waste of $$$.

zensteve

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't necessarily disagree with Ron or Bill. But I would have a more nuanced opinion.

I would approach deciding on a new shaft by testing it yourself.

Like most things, there are pluses and minuses. In general what you may gain in less deflection you may lose in feel.

Any technology/construction that may enhance ones game works for me.

Some Longoni S2 shaft owners either swear by them or swear at them.

Last edited:

mbvl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
McChen,

I think it's overkill. My Dieckman shafts have Komori tapers and the pivot point distance is greater than 40 inches. I.e., virtually zero squirt.

Mark

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
interesting comments...

agree that carom shafts are naturally lower deflecting compared to pool as the tip is smaller (though might somewhat be canceled by the fat taper) and the balls are heavier. ie, the ratio of the tip mass vs. the ball mass.

one thing about the taper....the taper of a carom LD shaft does not necessarily have to change. deflection is primarily about the mass of the tip end and taper/stiffness would only affect it if a particular taper increases mass at the tip end. tiger has reduced this by coring with balsa wood and predator uses a hollow bore. i don't believe tiger, adam or mezz use a particularly different taper than their standard shafts. also laminating a shaft doesn't make it low deflection by itself. The adam and mezz shafts are not laminated, but tiger and predator are (though that's not why they're LD).

i have no doubt that the LD shafts by tiger, etc. work (as in reducing deflection). i'm mostly wondering what the level of reduction is and what the feel is like. assuming that the shaft is similar in all respects to your current shaft (as in taper, weight, tip), would lower deflection be something that would benefit your play?

i'm really interested in acquiring one to try....if i do i'll definitely post a review.

gallogg

I use both LD and Tiger shafts.
I use LD on the tables that produce shorter angle than the system and vise versa.

By saying that LD really reduces deflection than regular Tiger shaft.
But I like the feel of Tiger shaft much better than LD though.

I have been an user of ACSS by Adam for a long time and I'd say it has a similar feel of Tiger shaft not any of other laminated shafts like Sold 8 Max or S2 shafts I used to own.

Just throwing 2 cents.

zencues.com

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LD technology for carom

I know this is an old thread.

Does anyone have a different view of Carom LD shafts now that a few years has gone by?

I am looking at both Longoni S20 and Tiger Carom LD shafts (with a wood to wood joint or the Tiger Phenolic version of it).

Any comments on the taper versions - conical vs. eiffel (american)

I have played pool with an OB1 for years and I am having trouble adjusting to the Longoni basic conical shaft and its' deflection.