Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page I need some advice on which table to buy.
Page 2 of 4 12 34

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

01-04-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank it View Post
Can I get an Amen!
OUCH!!!!!!

That GC3 would have been perfect had it not been Diathudendized.
Well almost because GC3's don't have pinned slates ( unless modified ).

I wish Mr PerfectPocketz was local here.

Shoot pool, not people.

Old
  (#17)
OnDaSnap
Banned
OnDaSnap has a reputation beyond reputeOnDaSnap has a reputation beyond reputeOnDaSnap has a reputation beyond reputeOnDaSnap has a reputation beyond reputeOnDaSnap has a reputation beyond reputeOnDaSnap has a reputation beyond reputeOnDaSnap has a reputation beyond reputeOnDaSnap has a reputation beyond reputeOnDaSnap has a reputation beyond reputeOnDaSnap has a reputation beyond reputeOnDaSnap has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Talking 01-04-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrctherake View Post
I'm having some walls knocked down to make room for a 9' table. The construction should be done within the next 5 to 6 weeks.

These are the tables I have found that are not a gazillion miles from me. Of the following tables which had you rather own and play on in your home?

This Gold Crown III:

Will this table really play exactly like a Diamond blue label 9'? PM me your answer on the playing like a Diamond or not if you do not want to answer in open...thanks...either way.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/spo/5932848603.html

This Gold Crown IV:

How will this table compare to the Gold Crown III above? How will it compare to a new Diamond 9'?

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/spo/5903863882.html

Thanks for any and all advice!!!
I would play on any table as long as it is level, has good cloth, and has good rails. Preferably 4 inch pockets, but anything would do.

Old
  (#18)
jrctherake
AzB Bronze Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

01-06-2017, 12:53 AM

The reason I ask about those specific tables did not have anything to do with budget. It was to get an opinion on which one would play most like a diamond or if either would play exactly like a diamond.

The biggest reason I have not already just pulled the trigger and bought a new Diamond is the lead time. I hate the thought of having to wait several months for a table but may end up doing just that unless something comes up soon.

Speaking of something coming up soon, a room owner in Birmingham Alabama told me he could get a 9' Diamond with a light for around $5,500. I do not know if that is a new table or a tournament table. I also do not know if that includes delivery and setup or not. He did not say anything about the lead time either but I will be talking to him in the next few days.

The only tables I have played on are 9' and 7' Blue label Diamonds, 7' and 8' Valleys and an 8' Olhausen at a friends house so I have no experience with the Gold Crowns and that is why I ask about the Gold Crowns in the links above compared to a Diamond.

Of the tables I have played on since my return to pool, I have to say the Diamonds are my favorite. They seem a lot tougher than the tables I remember from years ago but then again, it's hard to compared something now to something that I did 20+ years ago as it seems my memory is getting worse and worse each year. Not to mention, like most that lay off for years, my level of play is not what it used to be so everything I play on seems to be tougher than I remember.

Old
  (#19)
jrctherake
AzB Bronze Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

01-06-2017, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyInCali View Post
OUCH!!!!!!

That GC3 would have been perfect had it not been Diathudendized.
Well almost because GC3's don't have pinned slates ( unless modified ).

I wish Mr PerfectPocketz was local here.
Sorry but I have no idea what Diathudendized means? Also, (my lack of table knowledge showing) what is the difference between a "pinned slate" vs a slate that is "not pinned"?

Old
  (#20)
jrctherake
AzB Bronze Member

01-06-2017, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnDaSnap View Post
I would play on any table as long as it is level, has good cloth, and has good rails. Preferably 4 inch pockets, but anything would do.
Well, I agree as far as just going out to some hall or bar to play but I'm talking about buying a table to put in my home.

EDIT:

4" pockets are a bit tight for my taste. I prefer 4 1/2". Anything smaller and my game suffers. I can practice shot drills just fine with 4" pockets but actually trying to run balls while trying to cheat a pocket for example is out of my league.

Last edited by jrctherake; 01-06-2017 at 01:09 AM.

Old
  (#21)
jrctherake
AzB Bronze Member

01-06-2017, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter32 View Post
The gold crown 3 has been offered on this site , matter of fact I think he had a few of them . With the work that has been done by the master himself , I wouldn't even have to think about witch one to buy and I have a 9' Diamond !!
The gold crown 3 no questions .
Which year was your Diamond made? Is it a red or blue label? If red label has it be converted?

Old
  (#22)
Shooter32
AzB Silver Member
Shooter32 has a reputation beyond reputeShooter32 has a reputation beyond reputeShooter32 has a reputation beyond reputeShooter32 has a reputation beyond reputeShooter32 has a reputation beyond reputeShooter32 has a reputation beyond reputeShooter32 has a reputation beyond reputeShooter32 has a reputation beyond reputeShooter32 has a reputation beyond reputeShooter32 has a reputation beyond reputeShooter32 has a reputation beyond repute

01-06-2017, 01:16 AM

My table is a red label and no it has not been converted to the blue label specs .

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Old
  (#23)
jrctherake
AzB Bronze Member

01-06-2017, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noMoreSchon View Post
Snatch up that GCIII, I am waiting for Mark to redo my rails, and if I could've found a table

close to me that he has modified it would of been my first pick. But that GCIII looks too good

to be true.
I agree, that GC III is a very pretty table. My wife loves the way it looks. I am just afraid it will not play like the diamonds I am use to playing on.

See, the thing is......most all the tourneys (and cash games) I plan in are played on Diamond tables and I do not want to have to adjust from one table to another every time I leave my home table to play.

I do not mind adjusting from one "playing condition" (weather, dirty/clean felt..etc..etc..) but I had rather not have to adjust from one "type" table to another due to the rails and pocket being different.

I have noticed that after I play on a valley table for a few days I have a very hard time adjusting to ANY diamond but when I play on a diamond table for a few days......especially a 9' diamond for a few days I can switch to a valley or olhausen...etc of any size with almost no adjustment. Matter of fact the valleys and olhausen tables seem to play much, much easier after being used to the 9' diamond. For that reason alone I am leaning toward the 9' Diamond.

Old
  (#24)
jrctherake
AzB Bronze Member

01-06-2017, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain18 View Post
Sounds as if you are looking for a table to play close to the Diamond ......why not just get a Diamond. .. I'm assuming you are looking at the GCs to stay within your price range.
GCs will play great for you if you get them set up right.... but if you are financially able you cant go wrong getting the Diamond
You are partly right. I want a table that plays very close to a Diamond if not exactly like a Diamond.

As for the budget, well, I have one (dont we all...lol) but it will allow a new Diamond and light if push comes to shove.

The biggest issue with a new Diamond is the wait time. I hate the idea of having to wait months for a table but will if I have to.

Old
  (#25)
jrctherake
AzB Bronze Member

01-06-2017, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Buy either GC, no they don't play like Diamonds, thank god.
I do not remember playing on a Gold Crown. I have played on a gazillion olhausens, brunswicks (not GC's though), connelly's, big G's, steepleton, valleys and various others....ranging from 7' to 12' years ago but for the life of me I cannot remember playing on a Gold Crown.

I am loyal to things if I really like them which is why I keep going back to halls that have the Diamonds.

I am not saying that a diamond plays better than a GC.......I cant since I have never played on one. I wish there was one local to me. I would go play on it ASAP.

To you, what makes a GC better than the Diamond?

I need some advice on which table to buy.
Old
  (#26)
Bank it
Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Bank it has a reputation beyond reputeBank it has a reputation beyond reputeBank it has a reputation beyond reputeBank it has a reputation beyond reputeBank it has a reputation beyond reputeBank it has a reputation beyond reputeBank it has a reputation beyond reputeBank it has a reputation beyond reputeBank it has a reputation beyond reputeBank it has a reputation beyond reputeBank it has a reputation beyond repute

I need some advice on which table to buy. - 01-06-2017, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrctherake View Post
I do not remember playing on a Gold Crown. To you, what makes a GC better than the Diamond?

Rails are the difference. Diamond rubber not only banks much differently but are far too quick, especially combined with Simonis.

I feel this makes the game easier for many in both respects, easier to bank & banks that aren't possible with super speeds can be made on Diamonds as well as making players with no real stroke look like great players as you don't need a stroke to get around on a Diamond. They turn B players into A players & A players into shortstops that revert back to their real levels of play once faced with playing on a GC.

I've spoken with numerous pros that like Diamonds because they simply play better on them, it's an easier table. That may be to the liking of some but I'm not among them. I prefer the Gold Crown with Super Speed rails ratcheted down to 4 1/4" pockets. To me that table, to those specs, is the more challenging test of ones true game. YMMV.

Everyone Sees What I Appear To Be,
Few Experience What I Really Am...

You think that you're one thing, but understand that you're seen as another, so you suspect that maybe you are the other, but you don't know what that means... "Calhoun"

Last edited by Bank it; 01-06-2017 at 05:02 AM.

Old
  (#27)
jrctherake
AzB Bronze Member

01-06-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Rails are the difference. Diamond rubber not only banks much differently but are far too quick, especially combined with Simonis.

I feel this makes the game easier for many in both respects, easier to bank & banks that aren't possible with super speeds can be made on Diamonds as well as making players with no real stroke look like great players as you don't need a stroke to get around on a Diamond. They turn B players into A players & A players into shortstops that revert back to their real levels of play once faced with playing on a GC.

I've spoken with numerous pros that like Diamonds because they simply play better on them, it's an easier table. That may be to the liking of some but I'm not among them. I prefer the Gold Crown with Super Speed rails ratcheted down to 4 1/4" pockets. To me that table, to those specs, is the more challenging test of ones true game. YMMV.
I had to google YMMV to see what it meant. I'm either old and behind times or everyone else is young and lost...dunno....lol.

I may feel the same way if I ever got to play on a GC but I do not think it is gonna happen.

I can say that, to me, the diamond 9' plays tougher than any other table in my area that is available to the public.

Thanks for the info...

TheRake

Old
  (#28)
strmanglr scott
AzB Silver Member
strmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond repute

01-06-2017, 05:41 PM

As I said in another thread, I comb CL at least once a week.

I don't know jack on the differences of those two but...

The GCIII is gorgeous. My pick for sure. The ppl selling it are enthusiasts. They aren't coming off that price much I'm guessing. But that table is perfect I bet.

The 4, those ppl want to get the hell out of there, are recreational players at best is my thinking. I'd lowball the $%^ out of them.

When I got the 4 ppl to bottom, I'd contact the ppl w the three and say look, I can get this for x, you guys wanna sell the 3 for that, let me know.

Old
  (#29)
owll
AzB Silver Member
owll has a reputation beyond reputeowll has a reputation beyond reputeowll has a reputation beyond reputeowll has a reputation beyond reputeowll has a reputation beyond reputeowll has a reputation beyond reputeowll has a reputation beyond reputeowll has a reputation beyond reputeowll has a reputation beyond reputeowll has a reputation beyond reputeowll has a reputation beyond repute

01-06-2017, 06:00 PM

just go ahead buy a diamond table. I used to play on gold crown tables alot. The thing i didnt like about them was that the pockets play (substantially) tighter the harder you hit the ball.

i play on diamonds with 4.25 in pockets, and i fell pretty comfortable juicing most shots in on it. The pockets play very similar whether the object ball is hit hard or soft. It's a little looser with a soft shot, but not much.

Also, on diamonds i shoot for center of pocket, instead of pro side of pocket like i would on a gold crown. (gold crown, over cut shot slightly and hit it soft, and the pocket is very forgiving, even triple shimmed ones)

Get a diamond they are alot less aggravating, and the bigger tourneys are all on diamonds (the open ones anyway).

Old
  (#30)
iusedtoberich
AzB Gold Member
iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1225

01-06-2017, 06:15 PM

It sounds like you want a Diamond. Neither of the GC's you linked will play exactly like one. The GC 3 will play closer, because it has Artemis rubber. BUT, Mark Gregory does not install the Artemis rubber like Diamond does. He installs the cushion flipped over from the way Diamond installs it. (he also thinks stock Diamonds play like pin ball machines). He has posted about this before on here.

Get the table you want. Order it now, and then spend every day in the pool hall till it comes. You'll have your pool fix that way.

Page 2 of 4 12 34

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: