Reload this Page 14th Amendment Question
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
14th Amendment Question
Old
  (#1)
JC
Needs Moderation
JC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

14th Amendment Question - 01-10-2017, 11:46 PM

Can someone, anyone explain to me in what way birth right citizenship is helpful to our country? Or how it's "fair" to the babies and their mamas? And not having it would be taking the rights of what citizens? And why we are the only influential country where citizenship is coveted to allow this?

This is one I simply don't understand what constituency benefits from this and allows it to continue. Sure you can quip it's democrat voters but there aren't enough of them for this to never have been seriously challenged at this moment in history.

Whom and what gives this life?

I know Trump has made noise about ending it. Is this in the realm of possibility? Any more than his presidency itself was? Will congress go along and refer it to the states if our President pushes it? Will the states go along? Has there ever been a better time than now? Is it in fact, now or never to end this?

JC

John Chaplin
Coos Cues

It's not what you don't know that get's you in trouble.
It's what you know that just ain't so.

Old
  (#2)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

01-11-2017, 06:26 AM

That whole Due Process thing is malarkey, eh?

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"
Member of the world famous Lock Society

Cases I made: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258632

Old
  (#3)
billiardthought
Anti-intellectualism
billiardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond repute

01-11-2017, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
Can someone, anyone explain to me in what way birth right citizenship is helpful to our country? Or how it's "fair" to the babies and their mamas? And not having it would be taking the rights of what citizens? And why we are the only influential country where citizenship is coveted to allow this?

This is one I simply don't understand what constituency benefits from this and allows it to continue. Sure you can quip it's democrat voters but there aren't enough of them for this to never have been seriously challenged at this moment in history.

I know Trump has made noise about ending it. Is this in the realm of possibility? Any more than his presidency itself was? Will congress go along and refer it to the states if our President pushes it? Will the states go along? Has there ever been a better time than now? Is it in fact, now or never to end this?

JC
I guess we could start with questioning your citizenship, right?

The beatings will continue until volunteering improves

Old
  (#4)
philly
AzB Gold Member
philly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond repute

01-11-2017, 06:36 AM

Quote:

JC
I believe the framers of the our Constitution were mainly planters in an agrarian society and birthright citizenship has everything to do with the "soil" you were born on. A very romantic idea but apparently important to the wealthy farmer framers of our Constitution. After all, we do defend our "land." JMHO.

Pool may not build character but it certainly will reveal it.

"Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis" Unencumbered By The Thought Process

How do you feel? Fast and loose, man.

Old
  (#5)
Slide Rule
NPR Commies Garbage Skum
Slide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond repute

Talking 01-11-2017, 06:49 AM

Trump could issue a piece of paper and stop immigration
for say 4 or 8 years and see how that works out.

What would an EO look like retroactive to 2008?

I am 3% Neanderthal and 97% Conservative.

Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
Richard Feynman,The Feynman Lectures on Physics
Roger Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
Karl Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies, & The Logic of Scientific Discovery

His Excellency
President of The United States of America
Donald J. Trump

E Pluribus Awesome!

Old
  (#6)
memikey
Never Has Been
memikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

01-11-2017, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly View Post
I believe the framers of the our Constitution were mainly planters in an agrarian society and birthright citizenship has everything to do with the "soil" you were born on. A very romantic idea but apparently important to the wealthy farmer framers of our Constitution. After all, we do defend our "land." JMHO.
That's also a very romantic way to look at it.....but isn't it a bit more down to earth (no pun intended lol) to realise that it was far more a case of English Common Law of the time forming the underlying basis of how they framed citizenship issues in the USC?

The Uk, as with multiple other developed nations of the world, have in the meantime moved on in various stages to where they stand today on that issue ie with no remaining "birthplace citizenship entitlement" on their statute books.....which seems to be the "odd man out" position that JC is alluding to regarding the USA.

Mike

Old
  (#7)
JC
Needs Moderation
JC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond repute

01-11-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiardthought View Post
I guess we could start with questioning your citizenship, right?
That would be a good place to start yes. And then we can work our way back to the question I asked and maybe come up with some answers that make sense. No one has even attempted to answer the primary question which is in what way does this benefit our country and it's citizens? I suspect that answer to that is that it in no way does but I'm open minded is that's not correct.

JC

John Chaplin
Coos Cues

Last edited by JC; 01-11-2017 at 08:21 AM.

Old
  (#8)
billiardthought
Anti-intellectualism
billiardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond repute

01-11-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
That would be a good place to start yes. And then we can work our way back to the question I asked and maybe come up with some answers that make sense. No one has even attempted to answer the primary question which is in what way does this benefit our country and it's citizens? I suspect that answer to that is that it in no way does but I'm open minded is that's not correct.

JC
How did you get your citizenship?

The beatings will continue until volunteering improves

Old
  (#9)
OneIron
On the snap, Vinny!
OneIron has a reputation beyond reputeOneIron has a reputation beyond reputeOneIron has a reputation beyond reputeOneIron has a reputation beyond reputeOneIron has a reputation beyond reputeOneIron has a reputation beyond reputeOneIron has a reputation beyond reputeOneIron has a reputation beyond reputeOneIron has a reputation beyond reputeOneIron has a reputation beyond reputeOneIron has a reputation beyond repute

01-11-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:

JC
I think it was primarily to address the citizenship of former slaves in the aftermath of the Civil War. IMO, it's long since served its usefulness and the birth right portion should be removed.

Life is simpler when you plow around the stump.

Old
  (#10)
overlord
AzB Silver Member
overlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond repute

01-11-2017, 08:27 AM

Citizenship in the US is for sale and this has nothing to do with the 14 amendment.

Old
  (#11)
memikey
Never Has Been
memikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

01-11-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:

JC
Given the percentage of births in USA that are to illegal immigrant parents, in the short/medium term birthplace citizenship entitlement reduces the number of illegal immigrants you would otherwise have

Mike

Last edited by memikey; 01-12-2017 at 03:49 AM.

Old
  (#12)
j2pac
Marital Slow Learner.

j2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond repute

01-11-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memikey View Post
Given the percentage of births in USA that are to illegal immigrant parents, in the short/medium term birthplace citizenship entitlement reduces the number of illegal immigrants you would otherwise have
Put a sock in it windbag.....
Just kidding Mike. Good morning to you.
j2

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire - "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." - James Dean - "What you are shouts so loudly in my ears, I cannot hear what you say." - R.W. Emerson -

TOMAHAWK FERRULE MATERIAL - NO CLICK, JUST BANG.

Old
  (#13)
DaveK
pre-proscribed
DaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 526

01-11-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:

JC
Not sure you will ever get an answer to your question(s) that you will accept, but here :

http://www.constitution.org/col/intent_14th.htm

Different time, different people, different intellects.

Dave

Can't fix stupid, you're on your own.

Old
  (#14)
JC
Needs Moderation

01-11-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiardthought View Post
How did you get your citizenship?
Moses Chaplin Immigrated from England in the 1500's. He was the stud of my line, born in England and died in New Hampshire. That dude had courage. Along the way the country was claimed at the point of a gun barrel from it's old owners. 400 years later I trickled out the ball sack of his descendant.

So if new people from another place want to now claim this country I suggest they arm themselves and give it a go. That is how things are settled in case you haven't notice. Good luck to them. Sorry about you and Michelle's hope being gone.

JC

John Chaplin
Coos Cues

Old
  (#15)
JC
Needs Moderation

01-11-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
Not sure you will ever get an answer to your question(s) that you will accept, but here :

http://www.constitution.org/col/intent_14th.htm

Different time, different people, different intellects.

Dave
Exactly my question, how does this benefit our country today?

Forget about it's intent. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

What has it done for us lately? Is it an idea whose day has passed?

JC

John Chaplin
Coos Cues

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: