Joss warranty?

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You need to look at how cues are used by the players...
Look at the fine print on the "lifetime warranty" you will find that there are alot caveats for that warranty to be valid. This goes back to how players use their equipment, not protecting their cue in a proper way when transporting it, not taking good care of their cue (stuff like never cleaning their linen wrap, putting some leather conditioner on their leather wrap, sanding the shaft, not installing a tip the proper way etc.) and then you have outright abuse, wich happens all the time. Smacking that shaft on the table, floor or any other surface, dropping the cue or even throwing! the cue is quite common, how do you warranty a piece of wood against that?
The Joss warranty simply seems more reality oriented.
If you are worried that you have to use the warranty, before you even buy a product, then I think you might not treat your equipment right, and you know it...

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You need to look at how cues are used by the players...
Look at the fine print on the "lifetime warranty" you will find that there are alot caveats for that warranty to be valid. This goes back to how players use their equipment, not protecting their cue in a proper way when transporting it, not taking good care of their cue (stuff like never cleaning their linen wrap, putting some leather conditioner on their leather wrap, sanding the shaft, not installing a tip the proper way etc.) and then you have outright abuse, wich happens all the time. Smacking that shaft on the table, floor or any other surface, dropping the cue or even throwing! the cue is quite common, how do you warranty a piece of wood against that?
The Joss warranty simply seems more reality oriented.
If you are worried that you have to use the warranty, before you even buy a product, then I think you might not treat your equipment right, and you know it...
Sorry Kim Bye but I couldn't disagree more. There are many stories on this site that speak to great customer service by companies like McDermott, Lucasi, OB, etc. with lifetime warranties that replaced warped shafts immediately with no questions asked even after years of use. Sadly, there are similar stories about Joss where Dan just said "tough luck."
I understand the high esteem in which Mr. Janes is held by many people but if all other things are equal and one company stands behind their product and another doesn't, it becomes an easy decision. After playing a Joss cue at a local billiards supply store I bought a McDermott because I happened to prefer the way it felt. The fact they take care of their customers much better is just a bonus.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry Kim Bye but I couldn't disagree more. There are many stories on this site that speak to great customer service by companies like McDermott, Lucasi, OB, etc. with lifetime warranties that replaced warped shafts immediately with no questions asked even after years of use. Sadly, there are similar stories about Joss where Dan just said "tough luck."
I understand the high esteem in which Mr. Janes is held by many people but if all other things are equal and one company stands behind their product and another doesn't, it becomes an easy decision. After playing a Joss cue at a local billiards supply store I bought a McDermott because I happened to prefer the way it felt. The fact they take care of their customers much better is just a bonus.

You seem to not have gotten my point. The warranty is a marketing tool and most manufacturers will look at the claim on a case by case basis.
The warranty covers defects, not abuse. Abuse or wrong use of the equipment probeably outnumbers warranty claims 50:1
But I`m glad you found a cue you like, and McDermott is a solid company that makes a great product.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You seem to not have gotten my point. The warranty is a marketing tool and most manufacturers will look at the claim on a case by case basis.
The warranty covers defects, not abuse. Abuse or wrong use of the equipment probeably outnumbers warranty claims 50:1
But I`m glad you found a cue you like, and McDermott is a solid company that makes a great product.

He does not get that. Nor does he care.

The best/true warranty is the law, including consumer protection laws. In other words, living in the US is a distinct advantage over any other nation.

The rest is just marketing.

By the way, I have a McDermott butt and shaft sitting right here that they will not cover. Strange, eh? ;) No, not at all.

I have a Benchmade knife with a lifetime warranty...that they will not cover either. Strange? Not really.

My wife probably tossed a few old Ginsu knives over the years with lifetime warranties too...infomercials...LOL!

I have Craftsman tools with a lifetime warranty...and I have Snap-On as well. Guess which are better? LOL!

McDermott does make a great cue...just not as good as Joss.

He's an "internet expert". Does not know or care about anything in practical terms regarding shooting pool or cues. So he will not listen. Good try though. :smile:

Buy what you like for whatever reason you like I say. But coming on here and behaving in the manner the OP does is really just revealing. :rolleyes:

Reminds me of Justin.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
wow - thought this thread died ages ago.

Ummm ... somewhere in this thread someone asked "have you ever talked to Dan Janes" ..uhhh ... yes. It's actually an easy thing to do. He is quite accessible.

I think this is the thread where I ended up in a "one on one" discussion with someone - real nice guy .. but anyway.

As I said then - I'll say now:
If you have to worry about a warranty .. you're buying from the wrong folks. Just IMO.

Bob J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had Dan make a cue for me in 2004 or 2005. It's still as perfect and straight as the day it was delivered and plays beautifully. I wouldn't hesitate to order a cue from Dan.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had Dan make a cue for me in 2004 or 2005. It's still as perfect and straight as the day it was delivered and plays beautifully. I wouldn't hesitate to order a cue from Dan.

I have a McDermott C-14 that was made during their 1980-84 line and it is still like new.

I have played with that cue for decades and it has hit hundreds of thousands of ball and I have broke with it thousands of times.

I also have an A. E. Schmidt cue that I bought new in 1973 that is as good as new. That cue probably has more than a million hits on it and thousands and thousands of breaks.

If a cue is made properly, with the right materials, you don't need a warranty.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I said earlier in the thread Dan Janes is wonderful to work with and highly accessible. Wonderful experience making my cue.

My son placed an order for a custom from him yesterday at the Expo. If he says 6 to 8 months don't be surprised if it's done in 5.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Warranty is unrelated to the quality of a product but directly related to the cost. It is a marketing tool and you pay for it.

Certain warranty is provided by law. That is also included in the cost.

More warranty than the law provides simply means more cost. You pay for it. It's that simple.

If you use a credit card you may get extended warranty. Guess what? Yup. You paid for it.

The reseller or dealer of the product may provide some warranty beyond the manufacturer. Guess what? Yup. It's in the mark up. You pay for it.

I remember when I was a kid and was so impressed with the Craftsman tool warranty. My dad took me to the local Sears store and had a salesman show me the bins full of broken tools that had been exchanged for new ones. That's when I learned you pay for that when you buy the product.

People seem to feel like cue warranties are absolute, and are attracted to things like the McDermott warranty.

McDermott's Lifetime Warranty applies only to the original purchaser/owner of the cue and must be purchased from an authorized McDermott dealer. McDermott Cue warrants its pool cues to be free of defects in material and workmanship, including warpage, for as long as the product is owned by the original purchaser/owner. McDermott does not warrant its product against:

normal wear and tear including tip, finish, and wrap;
misuse, abuse or mishandling;
modification or improper maintenance performed by third parties or
damage caused by exposure to extreme temperature or humidity.

All warranty claims must include the complete cue and are subject to evaluation at our facility prior to approval.

You cannot play pool with a warranty.

triley41395

You'll shoot your eye out
Silver Member
I love reading some of the older threads that get bumped back up.
I'd like to add something to it. These are all facts.
I own...
A Schon from the 80's, its straight
A Sherm from the 80's, its straight
A Viking from the 80's, its straight
A Meucci from the 80's, its straight
A McDermott from the 80's,it's straight
A Schon from the early 90's, its straight
I also have others but am only listing 30+
Years old cues.all are considered production
Cues but 1. I have never had a Joss but I'd
Be willing to bet if I did it would be straight
Also.I know at least 5 people who play with
Joss cues and love them.I definitely don't
need a warranty to tell me if I treat my
cues good they will be great for at least my
lifetime. I'm sure that there are exceptions
Because you can't control all materials but you
can control how you treat it.
As I said I know this is an old thread and
have never owned one but I really believe
you can't go wrong with a Joss or any of the
cues I listed above as well as several other
brands and makers as long as you treat
them good.

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He does not get that. Nor does he care.

The best/true warranty is the law, including consumer protection laws. In other words, living in the US is a distinct advantage over any other nation.

The rest is just marketing.

By the way, I have a McDermott butt and shaft sitting right here that they will not cover. Strange, eh? ;) No, not at all.

I have a Benchmade knife with a lifetime warranty...that they will not cover either. Strange? Not really.

My wife probably tossed a few old Ginsu knives over the years with lifetime warranties too...infomercials...LOL!

I have Craftsman tools with a lifetime warranty...and I have Snap-On as well. Guess which are better? LOL!

McDermott does make a great cue...just not as good as Joss.

He's an "internet expert". Does not know or care about anything in practical terms regarding shooting pool or cues. So he will not listen. Good try though. :smile:

Buy what you like for whatever reason you like I say. But coming on here and behaving in the manner the OP does is really just revealing. :rolleyes:

Reminds me of Justin.

As usual, you don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about. It never ceases to amaze me how uninformed people seem, often, to hold the strongest opinions and are the most free about sharing them with the world. Feel free, as you always do, to ramble on...