Transitioning from 760 to 860

Matt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The two obvious answers to getting around a slower table are to increase your tip offset and hit the cue ball harder. The (perhaps) less obvious answer is to spin more and slide less. Especially in humid conditions, long draw shots are the first to suffer because you need the cue ball to slide all the way to the object ball with enough backspin to bite and come back. Follow shots into rails also tend to die on slower/wet cloth. If you play position using spin off the rails, you can avoid having to over-hit the shot to get back down the table.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with Tony's post about drills. My suggestion is to go get a lesson with PBIA Instructor Robert Parrish. Robert is a former #1 ranked player in Greece, and has a small pool school in Athens. He can give you a video analysis to see if you're doing things differently on the 760 cloth, than you are on the 860. That, and many more things can be derived from video analysis. You can easily find him on FB.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I grew up playing on 760 cloth....but I now moved to Europe and just about every table I play on is lined with 860. I am trying everything I can to try and help CB control. It's almost like I'm playing a different game. I have a huge difficulty placing the rock where I want...I try to adjust my stroke speed, English, cue level....and still.

Any suggested exercises that might help? Tips? Thanks!

Harry

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ahhh, a question about transitioning.

The bottom line is it this: It does not matter what you think the cloth is, either 760 or 860HR.

The real question is what does the table self identify as?

That is the question.