CTE pro one DVD

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just watched this video, yes I know I'm late to the party! I understand why this is a good system but after the first viewing I was overwhelmed. Should I start with the earlier stuff or keep watching this one till some info actually sticks into my pee sized brain????? What's the best course for learning this?

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best way to learn it is to approach it like you do not yet have any idea how to aim at all. Discard what you do know, this is something totally different. Start at the beginning of the tape, and follow the steps one step at a time. Do the practice shots it tells you to do.

Don't worry about pocketing balls yet, just observe. Do the steps and observe what happens. After a while, it will "click", and the system will seem so easy and all of a sudden you will understand just what he is saying and how true and accurate what he is saying really is.

JC

Coos Cues
The best way to learn it is to approach it like you do not yet have any idea how to aim at all. Discard what you do know, this is something totally different. Start at the beginning of the tape, and follow the steps one step at a time. Do the practice shots it tells you to do.

Don't worry about pocketing balls yet, just observe. Do the steps and observe what happens. After a while, it will "click", and the system will seem so easy and all of a sudden you will understand just what he is saying and how true and accurate what he is saying really is.

Or you will sell it and go back to your old ways with no malice.:smile:

JC

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Or you will sell it and go back to your old ways with no malice.:smile:

JC

Curious, is that what you did? I've got the DVD's ordered and have been watching Stan's Youtube videos. Watched Probably 20 or so, so far. I've very intrigued. The way two shots can be four inches apart, perceived the same, yet the mathematics of the table let's them both go different directions but both into the pocket. Truly Amazing.

Last edited:

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just watched this video, yes I know I'm late to the party! I understand why this is a good system but after the first viewing I was overwhelmed. Should I start with the earlier stuff or keep watching this one till some info actually sticks into my pee sized brain????? What's the best course for learning this?

It's better I believe to start out with the manual pivots first/

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
I suppose that's one way to put it.

Well, right now, I don't have the knowledge to accept CTE or reject it. I do think many on here have rejected it without giving it a fair shot. I'm trying to understand how the CB and OB relate to each other with CTE but ONLY on a pool table or another surface that is built twice as long as it is wide. It's the mathematics of the pool table that allows the 15, 30, 45 degree angles of perception to pool table pockets, come into being. Put the balls on any other non 2-1 ratio surface and it won't work. When I understand that amazing thing, I'll try to explain it to others.

Last edited:

Rackattach

Banned
Curious, is that what you did? I've got the DVD's ordered and have been watching Stan's Youtube videos. Watched Probably 20 or so, so far. I've very intrigued. The way two shots can be four inches apart, perceived the same, yet the mathematics of the table let's them both go different directions but both into the pocket. Truly Amazing.

I just couldn't get over this, I couldn't wrap my mind that doing the same thing, to the same set-up of balls will produce two different results. I'm a numbers/math guy, and this just doesn't fly for me. Maybe I need more time with it.
For those that have seen the DVD it's the "workbench study" that completely made me lose faith in my minds ability to commit to it.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just couldn't get over this, I couldn't wrap my mind that doing the same thing, to the same set-up of balls will produce two different results. I'm a numbers/math guy, and this just doesn't fly for me. Maybe I need more time with it.
For those that have seen the DVD it's the "workbench study" that completely made me lose faith in my minds ability to commit to it.

Assuming that you aren't just trolling, you need to stop drinking the kool-aid. You don't do the exact same thing on two different shots and get the same results. You do use the same visuals to get two different results.

How you go about getting those same visuals is not the exact same for each shot, although the steps are the same. Your initial perception of the shot, which is where you are standing to get your visuals, is different for each shot.

As far as the numbers/math stuff, forget about it. This is aiming a pool shot, not a math quiz. Can you do the math for depth perception, or periphereal vision? You use those all the time. Why be so concerned about the math with aiming a pool ball to go into a pocket?

Rackattach

Banned
Assuming that you aren't just trolling, you need to stop drinking the kool-aid. You don't do the exact same thing on two different shots and get the same results. You do use the same visuals to get two different results.

How you go about getting those same visuals is not the exact same for each shot, although the steps are the same. Your initial perception of the shot, which is where you are standing to get your visuals, is different for each shot.

As far as the numbers/math stuff, forget about it. This is aiming a pool shot, not a math quiz. Can you do the math for depth perception, or periphereal vision? You use those all the time. Why be so concerned about the math with aiming a pool ball to go into a pocket?

Not trolling, and i don't drink kool-aid, but if you read carefully as I stated in my post, I'm a numbers/Math guy...meaning I could't get the "perception" thing down. Both shots are "perceived" as a 15 from the inside but have two different angles, I couldn't wrap my head around that. I do better with a "hard" math system based on how I learn and see. That's why I was so concerned with the math part, it's how I'm wired.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not trolling, and i don't drink kool-aid, but if you read carefully as I stated in my post, I'm a numbers/Math guy...meaning I could't get the "perception" thing down. Both shots are "perceived" as a 15 from the inside but have two different angles, I couldn't wrap my head around that. I do better with a "hard" math system based on how I learn and see. That's why I was so concerned with the math part, it's how I'm wired.

Strictly a 3C player there's maybe a 100+ systems I've been exposed to, most of which involve adding and subtracting numbers. I only use about 4 on a regular basis and mostly for a check on my instincts.

Years ago I took a phone lesson from Hal Houle, likely the first to promote a pivot type system. With my head cockeyed holding the phone and simply doing exactly what he was telling me to do without questioning, I was hitting pieces of lint across my 10' billiard table.

On the rare occasion I'm found on a pool table and am stumped with a challenging hit, I use what he taught me. Wish I could find a benefit to 3C and I'd use it.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Strictly a 3C player there's maybe a 100+ systems I've been exposed to, most of which involve adding and subtracting numbers. I only use about 4 on a regular basis and mostly for a check on my instincts.

Years ago I took a phone lesson from Hal Houle, likely the first to promote a pivot type system. With my head cockeyed holding the phone and simply doing exactly what he was telling me to do without questioning, I was hitting pieces of lint across my 10' billiard table.

On the rare occasion I'm found on a pool table and am stumped with a challenging hit, I use what he taught me. Wish I could find a benefit to 3C and I'd use it.

Can you share what he said to you?

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well, no offense meant, but for a math guy, which means you have to know how to pay attention to detail, how is it that you totally missed that part about what a 15 even is, and how to determine it? The 15 does not mean that it is a precise 15 degree angle at all. Maybe you should go back and review the videos.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, no offense meant, but for a math guy, which means you have to know how to pay attention to detail, how is it that you totally missed that part about what a 15 even is, and how to determine it? The 15 does not mean that it is a precise 15 degree angle at all. Maybe you should go back and review the videos.

Thankfully, we have you guys that understand and use CTE Pro 1. I'll probably receive the DVDs about end week. Now that you are fully familiar with it, do you think a reasonably smart person can learn it from the DVDs or does it need to be in person, hands on type of training? What did it take for you to 'see the light', DVDs or face to face lessons with Stan? Have you personally shown the system to anyone else and they "got" it?

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thankfully, we have you guys that understand and use CTE Pro 1. I'll probably receive the DVDs about end week. Now that you are fully familiar with it, do you think a reasonably smart person can learn it from the DVDs or does it need to be in person, hands on type of training? What did it take for you to 'see the light', DVDs or face to face lessons with Stan? Have you personally shown the system to anyone else and they "got" it?

Well, to answer your question....I'm sure you can easily find a few people on here that think I am a dumbass, and I learned it from the DVD. ;)

I didn't "get it" right away. The reason I didn't, is because I kept adding in what I already knew about aiming. You can't do that. So I gave up on it. About a month or so later, after knowing others were "getting it", I revisted it. This time I payed attention, and it started to click. You have to empty your cup about aiming, and simply follow the directions as given. Do what the DVD tells you to do. Don't expect to suddenly become an aiming monster, but instead, just observe what happens.

For me, it clicked when I finally did the above stuff. And, yes, I have taught it to others that "got it".

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, to answer your question....I'm sure you can easily find a few people on here that think I am a dumbass, and I learned it from the DVD. ;)

I didn't "get it" right away. The reason I didn't, is because I kept adding in what I already knew about aiming. You can't do that. So I gave up on it. About a month or so later, after knowing others were "getting it", I revisted it. This time I payed attention, and it started to click. You have to empty your cup about aiming, and simply follow the directions as given. Do what the DVD tells you to do. Don't expect to suddenly become an aiming monster, but instead, just observe what happens.

For me, it clicked when I finally did the above stuff. And, yes, I have taught it to others that "got it".

Okay, thanks

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member

Quick question: I have received the DVDs and have watched half of the first one. On a right cut of about 15 degrees, I have the right edge to C and center CB to left edge. Two lines. Stan says he's not dropping down on either of those lines. So, what good are they? What line do you drop the cue stick down on so the 1/2 tip pivot comes out right?

Last edited:

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
Quick question: I have received the DVDs and have watched half of the first one. On a right cut of about 15 degrees, I have the right edge to C and center CB to left edge. Two lines. Stan says he's not dropping down on either of those lines. So, what good are they? What line do you drop the cue stick down on so the 1/2 tip pivot comes out right?

Once you have found the two lines you speak of, now shift your focus to CCB. You can safely forget the two lines, you now have a fixed CCB. Move in on that, place your cue 1/2 tip offset to it.

Last edited:

footshooter5

Registered
What Mohrt said.

I actually just received my DVD in the mail today, but have watched enough of Stan's youtube videos to figure out CTE with a manual pivot, but now starting to work on the concept of visual sweep.

Once you have your visual alignment, say center cue ball to the edge of the object ball, and edge of cue ball to "C" on the object ball, your cue ball is 'frozen'. From here, you determine (through practice) if it's a left vs right visual sweep, (or a left to center or right to center 1/2 tip pivot) and you focus on the center and only the center of the cue ball. Set up your visual sweep or set your bridge hand and cue 1/2 tip off center (either right or left - this is pre-determined), pivot to center cue ball and stroke the ball.

Once you have found the two lines you speak of, now shift your focus to CCB. You can safely forget the two lines, you now have a fixed CCB. Move in on that, place your cue 1/2 tip offset to it.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
What Mohrt said.

I actually just received my DVD in the mail today, but have watched enough of Stan's youtube videos to figure out CTE with a manual pivot, but now starting to work on the concept of visual sweep.

Once you have your visual alignment, say center cue ball to the edge of the object ball, and edge of cue ball to "C" on the object ball, your cue ball is 'frozen'. From here, you determine (through practice) if it's a left vs right visual sweep, (or a left to center or right to center 1/2 tip pivot) and you focus on the center and only the center of the cue ball. Set up your visual sweep or set your bridge hand and cue 1/2 tip off center (either right or left - this is pre-determined), pivot to center cue ball and stroke the ball.

I just don't see it yet. I'll go back and watch DVD #1 again. Maybe it'll sink in. I'm so used to coming down on CCB "aimed" at something. I can imagine the two lines but that just does not help me coming down. On a 15 degree right cut, maybe come down on the CCB to left edge and instantly you know that is too thin, you pivot the cue tip to the right to thicken it up? Think about this: ]CCB can only be defined and found if it's aimed at something! Otherwise, there are infinite CCBs all around the cue ball. Someone please tell me what CCB is aimed at in the above set up shot.

Last edited: