measel ball.

simco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The traditional colors threw me off. They looked great on the video

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How does the new Cyclops cue ball play compared to the Measel cue ball?

For most players, the cueball is the worst part of the Cyclop set (no s in the name). The thing I have most about it is that the early sets rolled funny (may be fixed now) and they have a thick clear coating that really affects how I look at the ball.

I think given a choice between the good Aramith sets, Centennials or Cyclop, the Cyclop would be 3rd every time.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played at the DCC 4 or 5 years now with the cyclop sets. They play exactly the same. It’s all placebo when the players complain.

IMO, and Ymmv.

bigpin22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know all about the the translucent cue ball made by Cyclop. Did they use the translucent cue ball at Derby or the new cue ball from Cyclop that does not have the glassy look. I believe the new Cyclop cue ball has one big red dot on it and plays closer to the Measle cue ball???????? Thoughts?????

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
For most players, the cueball is the worst part of the Cyclop set (no s in the name). The thing I have most about it is that the early sets rolled funny (may be fixed now) and they have a thick clear coating that really affects how I look at the ball.

I think given a choice between the good Aramith sets, Centennials or Cyclop, the Cyclop would be 3rd every time.

I've never seen a Cyclop cue ball roll funny in person. I would almost bet somebody "worked" on that one in the video.

I also have a set and my set never rolled funny either
Jason

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
I played at the DCC 4 or 5 years now with the cyclop sets. They play exactly the same. It’s all placebo when the players complain.

IMO, and Ymmv.

Placebo. No you are mistaken. They play different. The cueball is different construction then the balance of the set. This has been discussed. Your lack of differentiation doesn't make it so.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
I know all about the the translucent cue ball made by Cyclop. Did they use the translucent cue ball at Derby or the new cue ball from Cyclop that does not have the glassy look. I believe the new Cyclop cue ball has one big red dot on it and plays closer to the Measle cue ball???????? Thoughts?????

Closer to a Red Circle...but still not the same. Improvement yes. As good or plays like the "defacto standard" measle-ball...no.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Placebo. No you are mistaken. They play different. The cueball is different construction then the balance of the set. This has been discussed. Your lack of differentiation doesn't make it so.

Why am I mistaken? Because such and such pro player, or banger, complains that the Cyclop set is not right? They did the same thing with the Measels ball for 10 years, when compared to the Centennial blue circle CB. Now, all of a sudden, the measles ball is the "good one". Give me a break. Its all placebo.

I have a set of cyclop generation 1 TV balls at home. And a set of Aramith Super pros with Measels. They play exactly the same. Only diffenrce is the measles does stay cleaner. But the ball reactions are the same.

The reflection on the balls does take some getting used to, but after a few racks, its a non-issue. Its only visual, it doesn't affect the ball reactions.

Do you ever see Efren or Busty complain about the CB or ball set? They play with the CB on a string, every single event, every single ball set, since they were born. Only the American players are babies and complain about this ball or that ball.

I'll say it again, its a placebo.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At this year's DCC, I was practicing with another player one pocket while we were each in between rounds. This guy was a B player. He says to me: "I hate this Cyclop CB, it doesn't react the right way." I shrug it off and keep practicing with him and don't say anything. A few innings later, he says "Wait, that shot worked exactly like I intended (with respect to the ball reactions). Maybe its me and not the CB after all?"

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Why am I mistaken? Because such and such pro player, or banger, complains that the Cyclop set is not right? They did the same thing with the Measels ball for 10 years, when compared to the Centennial blue circle CB. Now, all of a sudden, the measles ball is the "good one". Give me a break. Its all placebo.

I have a set of cyclop generation 1 TV balls at home. And a set of Aramith Super pros with Measels. They play exactly the same. Only diffenrce is the measles does stay cleaner. But the ball reactions are the same.

The reflection on the balls does take some getting used to, but after a few racks, its a non-issue. Its only visual, it doesn't affect the ball reactions.

Do you ever see Efren or Busty complain about the CB or ball set? They play with the CB on a string, every single event, every single ball set, since they were born. Only the American players are babies and complain about this ball or that ball.

I'll say it again, its a placebo.

Well actually I have. I spoke to Busty about it in Vegas when I took a lesson and in his words...crap...but if they give me crap I still play.

Now what?

Many pros over the years have commented about the balls. This is fact. You can’t tell the difference seems also to be a fact. Maybe your game is tuned in enough to tell the difference sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well actually I have. I spoke to Busty about it in Vegas when I took a lesson and in his words...crap...but if they give me crap I still play.

Now what?

Many pros over the years have commented about the balls. This is fact. You can’t tell the difference seems also to be a fact. Maybe your game is tuned in enough to tell the difference sorry.

Pros are people too. They are not immune to placebo.

Busty in particular, I'd venture to guess he said that to appease the American crybaby players, and was secretly laughing inside that he can play like god with any ball set:)

Carry on:)

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Pros are people too. They are not immune to placebo.

Busty in particular, I'd venture to guess he said that to appease the American crybaby players, and was secretly laughing inside that he can play like god with any ball set

Carry on:)

Why so? You specifically names him and I had real world first hand conversation with him. I’m paying the man 200 for a couple of hours. He’s the master and I simply asked him what he thought. Do you really think his answer reflected what he thought or some sort of alternative agenda. Come on now.

You can yell from the highest hilltop that they are good product. In his opinion specifically he thought not. No drama. Just the way it is.

For what it’s worth I had a small gambling match with another well known pro and he was indifferent to the set. He said they play different and you just adjust.

Arimith have become the standard. Anyone coming in will be compared to them. Simple.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Oh and just to be accurate....I’m a Canadian Cry Baby.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh and just to be accurate....I’m a Canadian Cry Baby.

ha ha. ok:)

We can agree to disagree.

I've read all of the threads in here for the past 15 years crying about xyz CB, and then ijk CB, whenever a new model came out. Heard the same thing from the players in person for the past 25 years in the local pool halls.

In all that time, people have measured the sets for mass and diameter. Maybe some of the more science guys have been able to figure out the frictional properties of the balls, idk. Yet in all of these years, with many people looking at all the sets, no one has been able to show any measurable difference in any of the sets.

Even that one video 2 or 3 years ago of a cyclop CB rolling crooked was done with a guy spinning two balls against each other and throwing them on the table. Not even a decent test. ha ha.

Anyway, we are both entitled to our opinions. Until actual "FACT", not opinion, shows up showing a tangible difference between the sets, I'm sticking with crybaby American (and Canadian) pool players experiencing placebo:):):)

Justin Bergman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well when I played Billy Thorpe in the banks in round 8 or 9 he shot a ball and it rolled off two diamonds no exaggeration. After the game we rolled a ball down there and it was straight, then took same ball that rolled off and it rolled straight. Then I’m playing Shannon Daulton to get to the finals and his lag rolled off easily a foot. It was so bad pwooel from across the room seen it. They gave us a brand new set of balls to use after that. It’s not even close what balls are better between Aramith and Cyclops. And I’m not the only one complaining. I know a lot of the Filipinos don’t like them but they will use them unlike some U.S. players I know they won’t play a tournament with Cyclops. Which is like 80 percent of the tournaments now. We always use the worst equipment in the most important tournaments it’s really a joke.