"Johnny Holiday" books

tedkaufman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The other day while reading a post about pool books, I recalled 3 books I bought ages ago (like 25 years) by a fellow writing under a pseudonym--Johnny Holiday. If I remember correctly his real name was John DiAmato. Who, according to Johnny Ervolino, was one hell of a player.

His books included anecdotes of matches he'd had and observed, as well as stories about some of the real old timers like Taberski, Di Orio, and most noteably Mosconi.

I found all his books useful. Mostly they dealt with the right way to play patterns and position, which often included no so obvious multi-rail paths. I don't recall all the titles, but one was "Position Play for Hi-Runs."

I was wondering, one, if John were still alive; two, if anyone else had seen these books, or even heard of them? Some of the information was really timeless and so different from much of what is published today, which, too often, is just more rehashing of the same basic crap.

Barbara

Wilson deleted my avatar
Silver Member
I have 2 or 3 of his books, don't really remember.. The Billiard Encyclopedia and Position Play for Continuous Hi-Runs, or something to that effct.

They were informative books when I was trying to improve my 14.1 game.

Barbara

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
I've got all three. They are pretty good. He does a lot of patting himself on the back for what he is disclosing in the books, and how well his system works. John D'Amato.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Johnny Holiday

I have his book around somewhere. He signed it for me long ago. Last time I saw him was one of the Dayton tournaments in the 70's. He was pretty old then, and not playing anymore. I heard he played good too, around Florida in the 40's, 50's and 60's. I think Danny knew him fairly well. Nice guy with a good book is all I can remember now. Oh, and he loved to talk about Pool.

14oneman

Straight, no chaser!
Silver Member
Still alive?!?!?!?!?

Yeah, I have his "High Run" book. Bought it maybe 30+ years ago? I remember in the book, it mentions his date of birth, so if he WERE still alive, he'd probably be in his 90's at least. :eek: Maybe more. :eek: :eek:

I can find out though. I know someone who knew him quite well back in the day. I'll see what I can find out.;)

tedkaufman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice to see a few of you also found his books. I bought his book Encyclopedia of Billiards (or whatever it was), but could never find his others. Eventually I found a phone number for him in FL.

I called and ordered the books from him, which he signed, and we subsequently struck up a brief friendship via the phone. But as things go, life interferred and I lost touch with him. He sure did like to talk, but he did have a lot of interesting stories from a time well before mine, so I was always entertained by our chats. If he has passed on, may he rest in peace. He was a good guy.

Ironically, we were both at the 1992 14.1 US Open at the Roosevelt Hotel in NYC. Unfortunately, I didn't know what he looked like, so I had no idea he was there. But when Accustats released the videos of the finals, I bought a copy. Anyway, Dallas West took his break during the match and Weenie Beenie and Grady were commenting as the camera scanned the crowd. And Bill goes, "There's John D'Amato ..." The closest I ever got to meeting John.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I have his book and felt he was ahead of his time during the earlier years when limited information was available on how to improve. The book I have is around 200+ pages, good information on 14.1 and getting around the table which is very helpful for 9-ball. Encyclopedia of Pocket Billiards, the science of high runs with over 170 illustrations. 1977 edition Port Richey FL he signed it. "As you say, keep on stroking and while doing so good shooting." Its a must for anyone who wants to improve their game. There was also I think a smaller book, Position Play for High runs.

Library of Congress Catalog Card Number 76-21431

Published by Jo-Ned Lt.
1st Printing 1977 in USA

As you can tell I'm looking at the book

forabeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also have the "High Runs" book. It was among several billiard related items I received after my Granddad passed away many years ago.

Attachments

• 20180126_123850.jpg
    20180126_123850.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 807

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like all 3 books
pm me if you want to sell

i have a taable coming and plan to practice alone for some time

straight pool sounds like the game but i am terrible at it
so ineed help or i will practice 9 ball,it is not as discouraging

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This thread is from 11 years ago.

I met Johnny Holiday at one or two of the tournaments in the 1970s/1980s. I think he died in the 1990s or so. I believe someone has the rights to his books but they have not been republished.

I may have copies of all three books available.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thread is one of the many things I love most about AZB - the shared stories of those folks so lucky and fortunate to share personal times and memories of people from players to authors and those in every corner. Great contributions, guys!

I would also consider the trio of Johnny Holiday books to be one of the cornerstones in any player’s collection. Pull them down. Take notes. And take those notes and ideas to the table.

Thanks, Johnny!

~ K.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thread is one of the many things I love most about AZB - the shared stories of those folks so lucky and fortunate to share personal times and memories of people from players to authors and those in every corner. Great contributions, guys!

I would also consider the trio of Johnny Holiday books to be one of the cornerstones in any player’s collection. Pull them down. Take notes. And take those notes and ideas to the table.

Thanks, Johnny!

~ K.

Position Play for High Runs is one of the oldest books in my collection, I think. Sadly, I don't have the other two.