Poolology Confusion

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
By far, your best description of CTE that I've read. At proficiency, though, there are no steps that are discernible. It's See and align. The beauty of understanding CTE at its proficiency level is that the player knows exactly what has occurred at the subconscious level. I can just drop on a shot and align in 1 second or less having factored in 3 known lines. Our visual functioning concerning CTE happens at speeds that are faster than the fastest super computers in the world. This is precisely one of the reasons that providing explanations for aiming has been difficult not just for me but for any pro. CTE is certainly step-oriented when learning but that has to be put aside for using it at a professional level.

Stan Shuffett

It takes a while for me to catch on.:grin-square:. I was about to edit my post to say that once a player gains enough experience with CTE, the brain should also begin building a database of shots, so that eventually most shots are already known and the body automatically goes to the correct focal point for the correct A, B, or C visuals.

I've heard you say you can use the 15 and 30 to make a wide range of varying shots. What is the approximate range of shot angles from one perspective? I understand if you'd rather not answer and let the book tell all.

Thanks.

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It takes a while for me to catch on.:grin-square:. I was about to edit my post to say that once a player gains enough experience with CTE, the brain should also begin building a database of shots, so that eventually most shots are already known and the body automatically goes to the correct focal point for the correct A, B, or C visuals.

I've heard you say you can use the 15 and 30 to make a wide range of varying shots. What is the approximate range of shot angles from one perspective? I understand if you'd rather not answer and let the book tell all.

Thanks.

I have never really attempted to pin down a range for the groups. A lot of it is readily apparent. You don't shoot a 15 degree angle with a 45 perception. The truth of the matter is is that I could take any 1 line system and group any given shot into a 15 30 45 or 60. For example a 0 4 7 or 11 degree actual angle will fall into the 15s. The 15 and 30 together cover a vast array of angles till the 45 is reached. In fact, the 15 and 30 can solve an aim for practically all Cb OB relations. I can't read angles, not even a zero angle.

Stan Shuffett

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
I have never really attempted to pin down a range for the groups. A lot of it is readily apparent. You don't shoot a 15 degree angle with a 45 perception. The truth of the matter is is that I could take any 1 line system and group any given shot into a 15 30 45 or 60. For example a 0 4 7 or 11 degree actual angle will fall into the 15s. The 15 and 30 together cover a vast array of angles till the 45 is reached. In fact, the 15 and 30 can solve an aim for practically all Cb OB relations. I can't read angles, not even a zero angle.

Stan Shuffett

Ok. Thanks. I also believe that range (0 to 45° or a little more) covers practically all shots, at least the shots that should be considered very high percentage. Beyond about 60 degrees is when the player is way out of line and should consider his options based on his abilities.

SkinnyPete

Registered
It's a 45* angle that can be made with a 3/4 ball cut. I set it up for right and left cuts and had no problem with it. It was easier for me to use a 45 perspective and pivot but that's my preferred method.

I took your diagram and extended your lines and added a line that's perpendicular to the shot line that runs through the center of the cue ball. That makes it a right triangle with two equal sides. If the sides of a right triangle are equal the angle is 45*. This triangle method will work across the entire table. With a little work it's fairly easy to find angles within 5*. That's probably close enough to use the quarters system and it's perfect for finding the visuals for the pivoting system I use.

View attachment 470028

I do appreciate the analysis, Vorpal, but my question was really more about the system than the shot it self.

But since you brought it up :D I did whip up some software the other day to do this kind of analysis:

When I find time I intend add simply estimated deflection lines based on 30 and 90 degree rules, and incorporate poolology's zones/ numbering system. (And of course I wont be giving out the poolology part, I know it's not mine to give.)

GX6Xs45.png

Last edited:

Vorpal Cue

Just galumping back
Silver Member
The diagram looks pretty impressive. You're a good whipper-snapper-upper.

I just wanted to point out that if you're in an area that gives you bad data, the triangle method will give you the shot angle. The result can be converted into a fractional aiming point or a visual family for a pivoting system. Just pointing out there's a phillips screwdriver available if you want to use it.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
The shot is actually 47.5° from the that cb location (3 diamonds away from on). If the CB were a diamond from the OB, it would take a 54° shot to target center pocket. Accounting for collision-induced throw, the shot as it is drawn should be hit thinner than a 1/4 but not as thin as a 1/8. From a diamond away from the OB, a 1/8 would probably work. There is a sweet spot (optimal distance range between CB and OB) to ensure the system's accuracy, as described in the How it All Works section of the book. Basically, for any shot from 7/8 thick to a 1/2 ball, the sweet spot distance is anywhere from about 8" to full table length. For thinner shots the sweet spot is between 8" and about 30". Beyond 30" the shots tend to be over-cut a little. But it's rarely something that'll come up, due to CIT and margin of error at the pocket.

SkinnyPete

Registered
The diagram looks pretty impressive. You're a good whipper-snapper-upper.

I just wanted to point out that if you're in an area that gives you bad data, the triangle method will give you the shot angle. The result can be converted into a fractional aiming point or a visual family for a pivoting system. Just pointing out there's a phillips screwdriver available if you want to use it.

Oh okay, cool trick to know. Is this something you do mentally at the table at game time?

Vorpal Cue

Just galumping back
Silver Member
Oh okay, cool trick to know. Is this something you do mentally at the table at game time?

Yes, if I'm using a pivoting system I use it for a visual selection if it's not readily obvious to me. After using a pivoting system for a while some visuals just jump out at you. Others are not apparent until I 'draw' the triangle.

SkinnyPete

Registered
Yes, if I'm using a pivoting system I use it for a visual selection if it's not readily obvious to me. After using a pivoting system for a while some visuals just jump out at you. Others are not apparent until I 'draw' the triangle.

So to effectively use this triangle method you need to memorize right triangle leg proportions, right? This is easier than just memorizing shot angles?

Vorpal Cue

Just galumping back
Silver Member
So to effectively use this triangle method you need to memorize right triangle leg proportions, right? This is easier than just memorizing shot angles?

It's not hard. 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and 1/1 give 15, 25, 35, and 45 within a few degrees and 'flipped' give 55, 65, 75, and 90. With a little practice it's simple to use.

How do you make a Phillips Screwdriver? 1 jigger of vodka and 4 oz of milk of magnesia. Bottoms up! Ask your bartender for one... but never drink (or pay) for one.