Fast Eddie's Stick From The Hustler

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member

He was from Chicago, and played fair straight pool and billiards about the same. He mostly hung around in pool room on the Northside called, "Howard n' Paulina", owned by Bob Segal.

150 in two innings - nice.

1963 Mosconi vs Kimmel.jpg

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great photo of the Gleason cue and the of course the comments. It would be interesting to get some comments posted here of someone who might have been on the movie set of the Hustler. I would think a few are still among us.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just watched an episode of Cajun Pawn Stars -

The older of the two brothers said that his son Chad played, and beat, fast eddie.

As a result, he has a signed cue from eddie there at the pawn shop, which is not surprisingly, not for sale.

Someone please correct me if i am reporting this wrong

Last edited:

billiardcue

11th Commandment
Silver Member

The older of the two brothers said that his son Chad played, and beat, fast eddie.

As a result, he has a signed cue from eddie there at the pawn shop, which is not surprisingly, not for sale.

Probably "Fast Eddie" Parker.

Paul Newman would have signed "Paul Newman".

Cuaba

Livin Large
Silver Member

It was a Huebler.

He didn't seem to have any idea what it was.

He thought it was priceless.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Probably "Fast Eddie" Parker.

Paul Newman would have signed "Paul Newman".

the older brother (the "main" character on the show) said in his own words " fast eddie felson ", the real one, not paul.
(and they even showed a picture of him)

billiardcue

11th Commandment
Silver Member
the older brother (the "main" character on the show) said in his own words " fast eddie felson ", the real one, not paul.
(and they even showed a picture of him)

The only Fast Eddie Felson is a fictional character from the mind of Walter Tevis and portrayed twice in cinema by Paul Newman.

"They even showed a picture of him" - showed a picture of whom?

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
The photo was of 'Fast Eddie' Parker, who is the real Fast Eddie Felson.
Which is where the signed cue came from, after losing to Chad.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The photo was of 'Fast Eddie' Parker, who is the real Fast Eddie Felson.
Which is where the signed cue came from, after losing to Chad.

Almost nobody remembers that guy for some reason . He had his picture in the old billiard magazines promoting his availability for exhibitions .

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ever Since The Early 70's

Ever since the early 70's after the release of the film "The Hustler", in every town, city or hamlet in America, just about anyone and everyone that's known to have used the handle "Fast" with their nickname handle (presuming of course if that person were still alive they'd have to be in their 70's today to be chronologically accurate and consistent with the original film's genoire) has either personally claimed to be or is supposedly alleged to be, the actual person the fictional film character, "Fast Eddie Felson" was based upon.

Think about it....it's so easy for some. nay any, local hustler to have claimed this when in truth, if ever there was such a character, he would have probably played in the pool halls of Philly, Chicago, Newark, Manhattan or Brooklyn where there were larger than life pool figures and legends like Willie Mosconi actually playing et al. I frequently played at Ames growing up in the 60's & 70's back in NYC. Now if ever there was an actual, genuine pool hall location ideally suited for a character like Minnesota fats, Ames Billiards was the place.

Last edited:

Lexicologist71

Rabid Schuler fanatic
Silver Member
Sadly, in Tevis' obituary, they stated that he wrote the story about the popular pool player Minnesota Fats of TV fame. Too bad they didn't know anything about it. THAT Fats, was previously New York Fats or Rudolph Wanderone Jr., if memory serves me.

cuenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Almost nobody remembers that guy for some reason . He had his picture in the old billiard magazines promoting his availability for exhibitions .

This is correct. Chad was my best friend. He played "Fast Eddie" Parker and Parker signed and gave him the cue. The cue is a Huebler. Chad collected cues and watches and was friends with a few other AZers. He was a great guy and was a good player. I still have two cues and a watch that he gave me (Titlist pro and a Cooper). Mr Jimmie only has a few of Chad's cues, and unless she has sold or given them away, Chad's widow still has the rest. He had a Jensen, a few Meucci's, Olivier, Huebler, Joss cue that was a tournament prize, and I am sure I am missing a few.

Last edited:

taojones

Registered
i thought it was a Balibuska if i recall it was owned by Pete Taskarella he had it for sale a couple of years ago it was signed by newman mosconi and gleason

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a real nice picture of the Gleason cue. I guess fancy looking cues weren't in vogue then?

Underclocked

.........Whut?.........
Silver Member
I am not at all certain that Fast Eddy Parker's claim to being the basis for the Fast Eddy Felson character was not true. If Parker was telling a story, it was one that he himself believed to be the truth. In any event, he was a very entertaining performer at his exhibitions. Parker came to my hometown just before he passed away... looking for me. I happened to be out of town that day but have always wondered what he might have wanted. Will never know of course.

Yes, even the "Balabushka" in the Color of Money was a Joss.

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
I would love to have an old Hustler cue from that era.
The "Balabushka" from the color of money wad a Joss j18. The newer version is the n7.

I like mine an aweful lot ;)