Gandy Big G

wwjdwithca

Registered
Just recently installed this table in my basement, and thought I would put this review up for anybody else searching for a decent table in the same scenario as me. I am a decent player, but not good enough to play competitively. I play with my friends at each others homes as well as at pubs and pool halls. I paid $1300 (installed) for the table including new Velocity Pro cloth, and Championship Tour Edition rails. The table plays very fast and I find the cushions to be very responsive (easily 5 rails). The Velocity Pro is quite fast, so it's likely a good combination with the Championship rails. At any rate, it plays really, really nice for an affordable table.

I was looking for a Gold Crown, but the best one I found was $1500, in the sellers garage. Cushions were probably OK, but in my view you should put new cloth and rails on if your already paying someone for moving and installation, so that took me up to $2400 [$600 moving and install, $200 for the cloth and $100 for the cushions].

My Big G has 6 individual fiberglass ball returns, so they are pretty quiet (see pic).

I've played similar GC's and Black Crown's with Simonis 760, and this cloth plays really quite similar for $100 less money. I might actually like the Velocity better; plays faster and is extremely responsive to english. The Big G plays very similarly to the GC's and Black Crowns I've played as well, at least for me.

I get it when players want to use the same thing at home for what they will normally see in a tournament, but that's not me. I do like a challenging table however, and I think my Gandy plays plenty difficult. Anyway, just wanted to post for anyone out there who might be in a similar boat; you don't need a Gold Crown with Simonis and Artemis rails to have a very fine playing table. I hear so many people go, "Well, if you're doing it why skimp on the cloth, or the rails, or the table?" Because when your done you've doubled the price; Artemis rails and Simonis cloth would add another $200, so the Gold Crown package would be $2600, or double the cost. And I've played plenty of Gold Crown's and I personally cannot tell the difference, but take that for what it's worth, I'm no tournament player.

Attachments

• DSC06479 3.jpg
    DSC06479 3.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 2,979
  • DSC06482 2.jpg
    DSC06482 2.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 1,561
  • DSC06486 1.jpg
    DSC06486 1.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 1,345

Atlatlien

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice. I've been looking at the Big G as a possible substitute for getting a GC when the time comes around that my savings equal my desires. I have yet to find one in a Pro 8 size though. A 9 will just squeeze in my basement, the oversized 8 footer would be ideal.

wwjdwithca

Registered
Nice. I've been looking at the Big G as a possible substitute for getting a GC when the time comes around that my savings equal my desires. I have yet to find one in a Pro 8 size though. A 9 will just squeeze in my basement, the oversized 8 footer would be ideal.

It's funny, I had an 8 ft table before and I felt like it was just too easy. The ironic part is that I didn't really make longer or more frequent runs because I'd be like, "Well, it's on an 8 ft table anyway" So it really affected my ability to concentrate. Weirdest dang thing. I knew that any practice on any table would help my game, but it the back of my mind I wasn't convinced I guess. For the first time I have a 9 fter to play on every day, and it's true, the number of rejected shots on a 9 fter is dramatically different. I'm really liking the ball return too.

Good luck, post a review once you find something!