How many times have you heard this?

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
"So and so is just as good as a Pro!"
I'm up to three.
It's like they think you've never watched Pro Pool. Or sat tables side at the Open etc....
And of course if you mention any pro names they get that blank stare.
1. "My Dad plays really good. He's as good as those Pro players."
Saw this guy play again yesterday. Not even close of course.

2. "You know those guys you see on TV? I play as good as them."
Wrong. Saw him play last year.

3. (May favorite so far)
"Yeah I was playing with the owner of ........ He's awesome. He's an APA 7. That's basically like a Pro"
Oh really......:grin-square:
Never saw that particular guy play yet but I'm a little suspicious. lol

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its amazing how times i have heard someone say" i payed my way through college playing pool"

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Or when you mention you play pool and of course they have a relative who used to be top 5 in the country!

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its amazing how times i have heard someone say" i payed my way through college playing pool"

LOL!

And I did. ;):D

I also had a full time job.

But pool made me money, it didn't cost me.:smile:

And that was a long time ago...and I didn't keep it up nor ever get as good as I could have in the first place.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL!

And I did. ;):D

I also had a full time job.

But pool made me money, it didn't cost me.:smile:

And that was a long time ago...and I didn't keep it up nor ever get as good as I could have in the first place.

Yep. That last line. Sold my stick when I left for college in 1970. Didn't start playing again until 4 years ago.

But then again, I look at the people that are pool players that have been in and out of jobs for decades and playing pool into the morning and I am better off.

But the last line in your post is something I have thought about too.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member

Wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard that chant. Play pretty sporty for 73 years young. Most of the local APA players say that too much. Hear it at Super Billiards Expo every year. Even heard it at the VNEA, ACS and BCAPL events in Vegas.

I am sooooooooooooo far below even a lower ranked pro player it isn't even funny. Ron Casanzio plays out of our room. Think he is the consummate player fitting my description.

If one compares a top ranked high school football player to a top ranked college player the difference is astounding. The same thing goes for college to NFL.

I've begun to receive the "he's a pro" crap as an insult. Both to me and the real guys and gals at the top level of our game.

Lyn

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Some of these are great! I had a guy tell me once that he used to run with Johnny Billo back in the day. This guy is my age, and what he didn't know was that I grew up less than 500 ft from Billo's place. When I was 17, 18, 19, I played a lot of pool with Billo on those little valley bar boxes. Billo was great. This guy I'm talking about....not even a good average player. It's possible he drove Billo around, but he could never have "ran" with him as a road player. I think he was just name dropping, knowing Billo died years ago and not having a clue that Johnny and I were close. I just nodded, didn't call him out on his BS. Some people need to feel bigger than they really are. It's all they have.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone on here has a sig line that is "to the bangers I am a pro, to the pros I am a banger"

I've met many people that "used to be good like you are" but have a stance and stroke just a notch over a beginner. Even my son when he was 14 or 15 would laugh about it with me.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or when you mention you play pool and of course they have a relative who used to be top 5 in the country!

There was a guy in RI that would go around telling people he was like the 3rd best player in the state. First time I played him I had to start losing on purpose so he would not feel bad. When he walked into the room, the manager called me over right away and said "if you want to play him for money, he is easy, thinks he is good" LOL

Jonbouy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of these are great! I had a guy tell me once that he used to run with Johnny Billo back in the day. This guy is my age, and what he didn't know was that I grew up less than 500 ft from Billo's place. When I was 17, 18, 19, I played a lot of pool with Billo on those little valley bar boxes. Billo was great. This guy I'm talking about....not even a good average player. It's possible he drove Billo around, but he could never have "ran" with him as a road player. I think he was just name dropping, knowing Billo died years ago and not having a clue that Johnny and I were close. I just nodded, didn't call him out on his BS. Some people need to feel bigger than they really are. It's all they have.

Where are you from in WV? I grew up there - Charleston - and I've never heard of Johnny Billo. I'm 68 years old so I'm probably too old or too young. Perhaps he was not from the Charleston area.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:p

Lot's of great amateur players play better than some of the so called professional players....

:thumbup:

That's my story and I'm sticking to it....

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This is the one I hear a lot. And now they don’t play anymore & that’s why they can’t make more than 2 balls in a row & don’t even have the most basic fundamentals.

I’m beginning to wonder who lost money gambling on pool in college cause all I meet is big winners. As soon as I hear that line I know 2 things: they can’t play a lick & are full of shit.

ugotactionTX

I'm in dead rack!
Silver Member
A little different from the "paid my way through college" but here's a doozy:

So were playing in our local BCA league and a somewhat regular player and I got into a discussion about straight pool. After he indicated that he had "grew up" playing 14.1 I said. "man, that's awesome, I really love the game but didn't discover straight pool till recently, so what's your high run?" He hem'd and haw'd a sec before finally saying he couldn't really remember. Of course I immediately knew he was F.O.S. I probed further... I said " well what was the ballpark? 50? 100?" He interrupts quickly with "oh yeah definitely over a hundred"

First of all ANYONE who's played any significant 14.1 knows EXACTLY what there high run is, and this guy could maybe run a rack of 8 ball if everything is wide open. no flippin way he's ever even sniffed a 100 ball run

I didn't bust his chops or call him out since there was nothing to be gained from embarrassing him. And yes i did try to get him to play me some...

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
we had a straight pool player named "Mental" Mike in the room.
this was in N.J. in the '80s.
he played pretty good and thought he was a world class player.
offered to spot me 150 to 100 one night .
i jumped on it and beat him his 120 to my 100.
i said you aint as good as you think.pay me.
then he plays Neptune Joe Frady even up.
i don't remember the final score but Joe runs 135 and out.
still thought he was a great straight pool player.
guess he deserved his nick name.