In Maryland, D.C., and Virginia area, where do folks go during the week to play pool?

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm interested in pool rooms in the Maryland, D.C., and Virginia area that are real pool rooms -- not a bar, not a social club.

I know QuBall 1 pool room on Central Avenue in Maryland, Exit 15 off Beltway, has excellent equipment, but tables are busy non-stop unless you get there early. This is a cool pool room: https://www.quball1.com/

Are there any other *real* pool rooms in this area? Please share. TIA! :)

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Triple Nines on MD U.S. 1 in Elkridge is technically a bar room, but all of its 15-20 or so tables are 9-footers, and it's got a non-handicap 8-ball/9-ball tournament every Saturday night with enough good players to make it interesting. During the afternoons you can play all day for a $6 flat rate.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Triple Nines on MD U.S. 1 in Elkridge is technically a bar room, but all of its 15-20 or so tables are 9-footers, and it's got a non-handicap 8-ball/9-ball tournament every Saturday night with enough good players to make it interesting. During the afternoons you can play all day for a $6 flat rate.

That sounds perfect. Thanks so much for sharing! :)

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That sounds perfect. Thanks so much for sharing! :)

Jam, 999's is OK place. I do have to say..... the tables . .. not great imo. I actually don't even know what kind they are other than full size lol. They have been there since at least when I was a kid. In the afternoons it's usually a packed house with all table full, but I'm sure someone would give you and Keith their table. They also have edible food if you get hungry. You will run into some old friends too that hang there - Bo Newport, Reggie just to na,email a few. Not sure exactly what yall looking for; but if I didn't need a bar and the choice was between Tip hat or 9's it would be Top Hat every time. Btw, Cigar Tom has started working back at Top Hat again.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But but but...

Top Hat has beer and last i was there- 60-90d ago- they were getting ready to open full bar.

Im just sayin...
Jam, 999's is OK place. I do have to say..... the tables . .. not great imo. I actually don't even know what kind they are other than full size lol. They have been there since at least when I was a kid. In the afternoons it's usually a packed house with all table full, but I'm sure someone would give you and Keith their table. They also have edible food if you get hungry. You will run into some old friends too that hang there - Bo Newport, Reggie just to na,email a few. Not sure exactly what yall looking for; but if I didn't need a bar and the choice was between Tip hat or 9's it would be Top Hat every time. Btw, Cigar Tom has started working back at Top Hat again.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But but but...

Top Hat has beer and last i was there- 60-90d ago- they were getting ready to open full bar.

Im just sayin...

You are absolutely correct sir! But they didn't have Corona and I was forced to drink a ( 5 or 6 �� )Yuengling (sp?) Lol. Haven't checked out their " bar " yet but will report back ��

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blackie, I didn't really convey what I was trying to get across. I was trying to say " bar scene ", as in having folks there because of the bar - not because of pool. 999's has plenty of that as before they bought the old KB billiards , Three 9's used to a real rough, hole in the wall roadside bar down in Jessup. The kinda bar that had anything and everything anyone could ever want if you know what I mean. For the record, since moving to new space seems to have cleaned up a bit. Now at Top Hat, I don't see there being many if any coming there strictly for the bar.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Maybe these don't fit your definition of a pure pool room, but Champion Billiards in Frederick MD has good Gold Crowns, Gabriels, and a few bar boxes. It does include a bar and restaurant though.

Pretty much same with Revolution Billiards in Fairfax, VA. Decent Gold Crowns, but also a bar.

All the best,
WW

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe these don't fit your definition of a pure pool room, but Champion Billiards in Frederick MD has good Gold Crowns, Gabriels, and a few bar boxes. It does include a bar and restaurant though.

Pretty much same with Revolution Billiards in Fairfax, VA. Decent Gold Crowns, but also a bar.

All the best,
WW

Thanks. I know Champions, I actually used to work for Richard Allen, Gary's dad. It is a wonderful pool room for sure!

I'm looking for more of a players' room, though, not a bar-type atmosphere. A place where railbirds like me can sit back and enjoy a few hours of some challenge matches, if you know what I mean. ;)

Thanks for sharing. I appreciate it. :)

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Might be heading up there this week. Thanks! :cool:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which makes you and i inexoriably joined...you know i worked at westmont for years and then was with the crew that opened shirlington?

Though i am in the Doug Kelly camp.
Thanks. I know Champions, I actually used to work for Richard Allen, Gary's dad. It is a wonderful pool room for sure!

I'm looking for more of a players' room, though, not a bar-type atmosphere. A place where railbirds like me can sit back and enjoy a few hours of some challenge matches, if you know what I mean. ;)

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which makes you and i inexoriably joined...you know i worked at westmont for years and then was with the crew that opened shirlington?

Though i am in the Doug Kelly camp.

I used work at the Champions in Silver Spring when Richard owned it. Before that, he owned Let's Play Games in Rockville. That's where Willie Mosconi put on an exhibition, and I was chosen to make the trick shot that he set up. What a memory! I still have the black-and-white autographed photo he gave me -- for FREE! :cool:

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Check out Action Billiards in Winchester...a long haul, but decent room, soft drinks only. Chips tourney Friday night (9 ball), some minor action with a couple of strongish players.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Check out Action Billiards in Winchester...a long haul, but decent room, soft drinks only. Chips tourney Friday night (9 ball), some minor action with a couple of strongish players.

I like the sound of that one. I think I know who the "strongish players" may be. This sounds like a GREAT option. Plus, this time of year driving there is just gorgeous. Nice drive. :cool:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member

Yep, I know what you mean. I go back to the days of Bennie's in Reisterstown (also known as Gentlemens Cue), as well as Bill and Billie's in Glen Burnie.

I still remember watching Geese mowing down the competition when they did a Maryland State tournament in both the above, especially if it was straight pool. He didn't waste any time shooting. He ran them out quickly.

All the best,
WW

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep, I know what you mean. I go back to the days of Bennie's in Reisterstown (also known as Gentlemens Cue), as well as Bill and Billie's in Glen Burnie.

I still remember watching Geese mowing down the competition when they did a Maryland State tournament in both the above, especially if it was straight pool. He didn't waste any time shooting. He ran them out quickly.

All the best,
WW

Ww, the old Bill & Billies ( Jack & Jills ) is where I came up and was my home room. Geese was awesome and funny as hell. I learned one pocket from him. The only real competition for Geese in the State tourney was my buddy Cigar Tom. Tom won it like 9 years in a row or something and he's told me Geese was always the only one he worried about . I remember Gentlemams when it was owned by Nick Frank ( also had Northpoint billiards and Top Hat - at the time, he is now passed ). Gentleman's was across the street from on of Barry Greenbergs rooms, I say one of because he lost several along with millions of dollars gambling . That name of that place was Greenies. Do you remember that place or him at all?