Bottom of ball aiming

markdrums1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been playing pool "off & on" for the better part of 30 yrs, went down to the local pool hall today with my trusty old Palmer...I decided to try something I read on AZ a while ago, aiming at the bottom of an object ball, instead of the whole side of the cut....WOW!!! How did I not know this already? I couldn't miss a ball! why is this so much more accurate?

Last edited:

seven_7days

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i've been doing that for years.
it really helps in certain situations when you have a trouble visualizing the angles (at least for me).

I've been playing pool "off & on" for the better part of 30 yrs, went down to the local pool hall today with my trusty old Palmer...I decided to try something I read on AZ a while ago, aiming at the bottom of an object ball, instead of the whole side of the cut....WOW!!! How did I not know this already? I couldn't miss a ball! why is this so much more accurate?

Will we see you in the finals then?

EagleMan

Banned

Would you kindly share how you went about aiming at the bottom of the OB? In other words...there is only 1 "bottom" of the OB. (Actually 1 visible and 1 invisible...so you would certainly be referring to the visible bottom)...while there are a infinate number of "fractions" of OBs.

In still other words...assuming a center ball hit on the CB...do you aim the center of the CB at the visible bottom of the OB? Or is the bottom of the OB just a reference point as you formerly did when you used a "fractional ball" aiming method?

THANKS!!!

EagleMan

pool101

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The bottom of the ball, where it meets the table, is always the same and, easy to see. It never changes, there is always only 1 visible.
It is the best place to start from IMO.
Mark

EagleMan

Banned
The bottom of the ball, where it meets the table, is always the same and, easy to see. It never changes, there is always only 1 visible.
It is the best place to start from IMO.
Mark

Just to be sure we have our terms correct...the "true" bottom of the ball is not visible. It is that portion of the ball that is in physical contact with the cloth and therefore cannot be visible...unless you could see up throught the table from below. (-:

But my question was whether the OP aimed AT the visible bottom or used it as a reference point to aim at some other part of the ball...and if so...which part?

(-:

EagleMan

pool101

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just to be sure we have our terms correct...the "true" bottom of the ball is not visible. It is that portion of the ball that is in physical contact with the cloth and therefore cannot be visible...unless you could see up throught the table from below. (-:

But my question was whether the OP aimed AT the visible bottom or used it as a reference point to aim at some other part of the ball...and if so...which part?

(-:

EagleMan

You are correct, and he will have to answer that.

markdrums1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

(-:

EagleMan

Just the bottom of OB, obviously the bottom you can see....the angle of cut stays the same...just looking at bottom of ball instead of full side, if that makes any sense?

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
I start EVERY shot by focusing on the bottom of the OB.
That starts my pre- shot routine and is a big part of the way I line up for any shot

EagleMan

Banned
Just the bottom of OB, obviously the bottom you can see....the angle of cut stays the same...just looking at bottom of ball instead of full side, if that makes any sense?

SORRY...probably my fault but I'm having trouble understanding your point.

So, let me just ask a couple of specific questions that will clear things up for me.

1. Do you aim AT the visible bottom of the ball...in the sense that--assuming a centerball hit where you're not adjusting aim for squirt/swerve-- you aim the cue tip AT the visible center of the ball or...

2. Do you use that visible center as a "reference point" and aim to one side of it or the other in order to achieve the correct CB to OB contact???

THANKS!!! And sorry if I'm being a little dense.

(-:

EagleMan

EagleMan

Banned
I start EVERY shot by focusing on the bottom of the OB.
That starts my pre- shot routine and is a big part of the way I line up for any shot

Gotcha that you START every shot by focusing at the bottom...but THEN WHAT do you do to achieve your final aim?

Please see my questions to markdrums1.

THANKS!

EagleMan

markdrums1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just cut it like I always have angle wise, but instead of aiming at the whole ball, I aim at the bottom, I am new to this concept too....that's why it's hard to explain?

Realizm

I love cocobolo cues.
Silver Member
I aim at the bottom and yes I can see the ball a whole lot better.. and aiming is easy...

Digger0038

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is this correct: When you line up your shot and take your practice strokes you are taking them aiming at the lowest point on the cue ball without hitting the table with your cue, all the while visualizing your shot and where you actually want to hit the cue ball. Then when you make your final stroke you hit the cue ball where intended to complete your shot.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Gotcha that you START every shot by focusing at the bottom...but THEN WHAT do you do to achieve your final aim?

Please see my questions to markdrums1.

THANKS!

EagleMan

I think you got confused because you assumed someone else's answer was what the OP is doing.

The OP was simply saying that he's looking at the bottom of the ball rather than the whole side. Don't read too much into it.

Freddie <~~~ looks at the bottom of the ball

markdrums1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nothing to do with CB, Just your eyes looking at bottom of OB where you need to cut it.

EagleMan

Banned
I think you got confused because you assumed someone else's answer was what the OP is doing.

The OP was simply saying that he's looking at the bottom of the ball rather than the whole side. Don't read too much into it.

Freddie <~~~ looks at the bottom of the ball

THANKS Cornerman...but no confusion. My post you copied wasn't directed to the OP but specifically quoted another poster.

My only confusion is that my question hasn't yet been answered directly...which is...does the OP...or anyone else AIM AT the lowest visible point of the OB....or not?

Pretty basic question and pretty key to understanding the point of this thread.

You said you completely understood what was being proposed, so possibly you can help. Do people AIM AT the lowest visible portion of the ball?

(-:

EagleMan

Last edited:

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
THANKS Cornerman...but no confusion. My post you copied wasn't directed to the OP but specifically quoted another poster.

My only confusion is that my question hasn't yet been answered directly...which is...does the OP...or anyone else AIM AT the lowest visible point of the OB....or not?

Pretty basic question and pretty key to understanding the point of this thread.

(-:

EagleMan

I use the bottom of the OB and the edge of the CB to line up . I don't however look at the bottom of the OB when aiming. I started using this method with CTE. I now use a combination of CTE and the SEE system to aim
Good luck and sorry for the delay in answering. I am wary of aiming related topics