The HolyGrail of cues?

PickPocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
is there any way we could get a Pic on here of "The Golden Bushka"? I'd like to see is and people say there are Pics out there or that someone ownes it.... any chance?

Cuaba

Livin Large
Silver Member
Billiard Encyclopedia

PickPocket said:
is there any way we could get a Pic on here of "The Golden Bushka"? I'd like to see is and people say there are Pics out there or that someone ownes it.... any chance?

The Golden Bushka is pictured in the first two Editions of the Billiard Encyclopedia. I'm sure it will be pictured in the Third Edition, which will be available in a couple of months.

stikapos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will have to start working on my wife about one of these....immediately!

tim

kvinbrwr said:
Tim

I have 2 1960s Ginas I am selling. One is a fancy Titleist based cue with boxed veneers in the butt and the other is a red "barbell" cue with beechwood shafts that's I'm listing on eBay this Sunday, both have the original Ernie-made cases.

Kevin

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
stikapos said:
I will have to start working on my wife about one of these....immediately!

tim

Tim

Just get that little boy look on your face and start babbling about "Holy Grail" and such, she'll jump right in on your side.

Kevin

fdambi

Custom Order Cues
Silver Member
holy grail

For me the holy grail would be the cue I'm playing with when I win my first pro event. Going out and buying an object isn't as fulfilling as what you have to put into being a great player, and then having that pay off with a tangible victory. You might look pretty fortunate running around with a bushka or gus, but you'll never look as good as someone winning a big tournament, or feel as accomplished. That feeling is the holy grail.

SPINDOKTOR

lool wtf??
Silver Member
I never liked the looks of the "GOLDEN BUSHKA" Honestly, I have hit with a Bushka and the one I tried did play very well, I myself Like GINA and TAD these two brands of custom cues have made the biggest impression on me.. I dont use either, but I wouldnt refuse if someone gave either to me, lol.. I proboly wouldnt even use them, but I would reguard them very highly..

My "Holy Grail" would be my own custom I made by my own hand, as close to perfection as I could possibly get it, that would be mine, because I created it..

SPINDOKTOR

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
Early 1970s Ernie Gutierrez was contracted to build one cue for each member of the Original Rat Pack to be presented to those guys at some banquet honoring them. Ernie used forearms from the only order (of 12) he ever purchased from Burton Spain and made each cue slightly different and of course with the honorees name inscribed.

I loved Dean Martin as a kid. I would watch him on his live variety show and just figured that was the epitome of cool. The Dean Martin cue has clinking Martini glasses inlaid. The Rat Pack Dean Martin Ginacue would be my (current) Holy Grail. I think I know where that cue is but as of yet have not figured out a decent way to try and get my hands on it.

If I ever do, I will cherish that cue for a lifetime (or for 3 weeks whichever comes first).

Thanks

Kevin

bob c

In the Eye of the Storm
Silver Member
For me it would be Mosconi's Rambo. There is so much history in that cue.

bob c

thommy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess for me it would be the custom cue made for "Doc Sibley", the retired guy who taught me and a bunch of other kids how to play the game "right."

I've got his very early Hoppe he sold me and got to shoot a few with his custom. I was away when he died, have no clue where it went, who got it, did they care?

Yeah, that is my unobtainable holy grail.

DavidMNienow

Glamour Dave
Silver Member
The cues that I consider to be the Holly Grails of collectible cues would be the following:

The Rambow cues used by Jackie Gleason and Paul Newman in The Hustler.

The Balabushka cue used by Steve Mizerak to win his 4 U.S. Open Championships.

The Silver & Ivory Ginacue by Ernie.

The King James cue by Bob Meucci for Jim Rempe.

That would be it for me. I would be more than happy to track those specific cues for my collection, once I get all the money that is in Bill Gates account. :)

foxcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a bushka,gus,paradise,southwest,josswest,gina along with alot of others but I`m always looking for the ones I don`t have.Those would be my holy grail.

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it's funny how many of the holy grails mentioned are basically the lowly Brunswick. The # 36 Brunswick is the cue I would most like to find in a garage or estate sale. No CNC machine here! Ford ,in 1914, raised his factory wages to $5.00 a day. So a well paid worker could take home about $100.00 A month.( No income taxes then) Today a well paid worker makes maybe $3000.00 a month take home. So he would be paying about $300.00 for this stick. Now, because it's almost 100 years old, # 36 sells for about $2,100.00. Still a bargain.

Attachments

• AAAAABrunswick_1914_-2.jpg
    AAAAABrunswick_1914_-2.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 543
Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Holy Grail

The big one....The Holy Grail.....would be an original 1973 George Balabushka cue with a flat faced ivory joint & ferrules with a total cue weight under 19 ozs (which is of course highly improbable.....more like mid-19 oz. at best). Naturally, the shafts would have to be straight and shaft size range would have to be 12.5mm -13mm....no larger nor smaller...in order to be the true "Holy Grail" of a cue for me.

George only made 1200 cues during his lifetime and according to Barry Szamboti, his dad (Gus) only complerted less than 125 blanks for George, the majority having a straight grained maple forearm with four ebony points. George Balabushka then finished the joint, veneers and inlays on these blanks so there weren't a whole bunch of these cues made and there were supposedly only a couple of ivory joint cues made during his Szamboti period. He started getting the blanks from Gus in early 1973 and George died in 1975.

So that's my nomination for the "Holy Grail" of cues.

PickPocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would have to say..

The more I think about it, my own personal grail, would be the handmade by Paul Huebler, 4 pointer, with ivory joint and ferrels, rosewood signature cross in butt, Osage Orange cue, made by Paul, for Gene C. Its Never been played, and carries a personal letter from Paul to Gene. I know right where it is, and doubt I'll ever own it. (its in the best possible hands, the person that introduced me to both Gene, and the wonderful world of Huebler!)

I have seen a lot of Huebies... This was not the "fanciest", or had lots of Ivory, but to this day, I've never seen one like it, and to top it off, has so much history from people in my small little corner of the world.

Last edited: