Blues Music & Pool

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok --How's about Joe Sun and Shotgun--Johhny Winter--Danny Gatton (WoW what jams that kid created )Buddy Guy--Luther Anderson (already mentioned ) Ray Flack--look him up--he grew up playing with Jeff Beck and Page and the bunch and came here and turned as country as you can get--he can turn it on--Mark Knoffler--increadable blues--Roy Buchanan--still miss that gifted player--made tracks to catch that show where ever he played in Va. back when--Warren Batestest--only guy that Les Paul
wouyld throw a birthday party for every year while Les was still living--Warren is still living,,and still playing--in his 90's now--great blues and Jazz

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nobody mentioned it, and I'm surprised.

Hopefully everybody simply expected that it didn't need to be said, but everybody should know all of the songs recorded by the man who sold his soul to the devil in exchange for learning to play guitar.

Eric Clapton's best work is arguably his covers of that man's songs in two albums, 'Me and Mr. Johnson' and 'Sessions for Robert J'.

That's right, I'm referring to the 29 songs of the great Robert Johnson.

dld

Ok --How's about Joe Sun and Shotgun--Johhny Winter--Danny Gatton (WoW what jams that kid created )Buddy Guy--Luther Anderson (already mentioned ) Ray Flack--look him up--he grew up playing with Jeff Beck and Page and the bunch and came here and turned as country as you can get--he can turn it on--Mark Knoffler--increadable blues--Roy Buchanan--still miss that gifted player--made tracks to catch that show where ever he played in Va. back when--Warren Batestest--only guy that Les Paul
wouyld throw a birthday party for every year while Les was still living--Warren is still living,,and still playing--in his 90's now--great blues and Jazz

Heck yes, Chip, My Fav Johnny Winter albums are Alive and Well, The Self Titled Album, and (Cheating of course) Second Winter.

Double D, I only have, "The Roots of Robert Johnson". I'm feeling like I've let the master down.

rlw

Silver Member
try Joanna Connor or Deborah Coleman or Omar & the howlers or even Lil Ed and the blues imperials.

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
Blues likes

Ya'll check out Alligator records. They can hook you up with a blues fix.

I like "Red House", it may have been Wolf's first, I can't remember ?
I like Buddy Guy's cover and Hendrix. Many others prob too.

I appreciate the "Fathers and Sons" album combining Muddy's talents with Butterfield, Bloomfield, Otis Spann and more.

Blues harp by Butterfield and Little Walter...

I like hearing Bonnie Raitt and John Lee do the duet on "Healer".

I think Dan Akyroyd, "A Canadian" Shhh !!! has done so much to bring the blues to my generation. I want to give the man a shout out !

Anyone here tried his Crystal Skull vodka ?

Whoever mentioned Matt Murphy :thumbup: He's a cool guy, I just love his "yes dear" moment with Aretha Franklin in Blues Brothers 2000. He really had the whipped dog look down pat.

Carry on

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This peice that I'm posting,,is a Masterpiece and should be listened too with the volume up with no distractions and listened through only when you can sit down and catch the brillance of whats going on during the last few miniutes with Duane and the horns feeding into the frenzy---Ladies and Gents Duane Allman and Boz Scaggs--loan Me a dime

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTFvAvsHC_Y

My Son (23 now) and I play this number and it's something to hear this young kid bust loose on this tune--good freind of mine who has been the Lead Guitarist for
Percy Sleadge for the last 25 years (was trained by the same guitar teacher as Duane, Ted Conner from where we grew up in VA)has listened and jamed with my boy Riggs Roberson and can't belive the sounds coming from what we'er doing--playing Guitar was my second love when growning up--now after the road wars are over --it's my first

Last edited:

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ChevyBob--That Johnny Winter album--John Dawson Winter III--is that the one you mentioned above--? If not--thats is my Fav from Mr Winter..

dakraljic

Banned
I don't know did anyone mention,Canned Heat.One of the greatest bands of all time.Doesn't matter which genre talking about !!!
:smile::smile::smile:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a cute diddy at the late John Jackson's home in Fairfax Station, Virginia, in 1989. Music begins at Counter 36:30. Man, I'd love to go to this house party. Wow! :p

This is how we do blues in Virginia ---> HERE :cool:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Here's my list>>>>

BLUES ROCK CDs.
Buddy Guy:
Damn Right, I've Got The Blues
Can't Quit The Blues - CD 1, 2,3
Jammin' Blues
Slippin' In
Live - The Real Deal
Stone Crazy
Skin Deep
Living Proof

Eric Clapton:
From The Cradle
Bluesbreakers - Clapton & John Mayall

George Thorogood & The Destroyers:
Greatest Hits

Walter Trout:
Walter Trout and Friends - Full Circle
Blues For The Modern Daze
The Outsider
Go The Distance
Live Trout - CD1 & CD2
Luther's Blues

Aerosmith:
Honkin' On Bobo

Gary Moore:
Still Got The Blues

Leslie West:
Got Blooze
Guitarted
Blue Me
Blues To Die For
Unusual Suspects

Popa Chubby:
Universal Breakdown Blues

James Cotton:
Cottonmouth Man

Kenny Wayne Shepherd:
How I Go
The Place You're In
Ledbetter Heights
Live On
Trouble Is
10 Days Out (Blues From The Backroads)

Albert King - Stevie Ray Vaughan
In Session

Beth Hart:
Live At Paradiso
Don't Explain - Beth Hart - Joe Bonamassa
See Saw
Bang Bang Boom Boom

Joe Bonamassa:
Blues Deluxe
Driving Towards The Daylight
Live From The Royal Albert Hall
Beacon Theatre - Live From New York
Live From Nowhere In Particular
Dust Bowl
Black Rock

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Guitar Shorty,Otis Grant,Tommy Castro,Joe Bonamassa

I saw Guitar Shorty just last summer. The old guy can still "throw down" like a bad mamma-jamma!!! He'll be 74 years-old in September and he's still doing a full live show!!!

Maniac

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
BLUES ROCK CDs.Popa Chubby:
Universal Breakdown Blues

Albert King - Stevie Ray Vaughan
In Session

I never pulled the trigger on the purchase of a Popa Chubby CD and I'm still regretting it to this day. I'm gonna hafta get that done sooner than later.

I also had the pleasure of seeing Albert King live on stage a couple of years before he passed. That dude could play hell outta that Flying-V Gibson.

Ah the Blues!!! Now there's something I could talk on-and-on about....just like pool. I can't tell you how many bands/acts I've seen over the years in concerts, Blues festivals, and nightclubs. Heck, I used to be the soundman for my brother's little 4-piece Blues/Rock band. It's a music that is timeless and transcends all boundaries.

If I had all the money back that I've spent on the Blues and pool, I'd be financially rich, but spiritually broke!!!

Maniac