Pro's and Cons of a ball return table

krelldog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently purchased a Diamond Pro-am. It won't be delivered for 6-8 weeks. This will be my first experience with a ball return. My question to the forum is....Which do you prefer-drop pockets or....a ball return system?

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
ball return systems

I have had a table with regular drop pockets my entire life and have had no issues. Yes, you have to walk around the table in between racks, this takes 10 seconds. Yes, you have to empty the pockets when they are too full, this happens very occasionally playing one pocket or straight pool, this is also no problem.

I would gladly take these on because that is nothing compared to spending minutes in between racks trying to find where a ball got stuck, climbing around on your back, getting splinters reaching up under the gulleys, and throwing balls down different pockets or trying to figure out which ball is missing and what pocket you shot it in, etc. This to me is a total absurdity and is my absolute pet peeve. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE USE REGULAR POCKETS! I would love to just walk around the table once per rack and get the balls, please, please, please don't make it any more difficult!

As a side note, ball return mechanisms are a pain for keeping track of ball count in one pocket and are a recipe for a fight.

So my vote is to absolutely do away with ball return systems. They are the root of all evil. I don't understand how they are still popular.

dom_poppa

Banned
The pros of ball return tables is that when you are racking, all the balls will be at one place and no need to fetch them. This is a plus. The problem with these ball return tables is that it echoes. When you pocket a ball you can hear the balls roll all the way to the drop off spot. It makes the table sound hollow and cheap. Also, sometimes they get lost and stuck somewhere.

Regular pockets are good because you can hear balls dropping in the pockets. Whether that's a click or dropping onto another ball, that sound is much more solid than the hollow feel. Depending on the game you are playing pockets are valuable for keeping count.

This is just my opinion.

Does it affect play? No.

Just preference.

Last edited:

TXsouthpaw

My tush hog
Silver Member
I like to switch the break spot about halfway through the life of my cloth to keep the wear patterns the same. U cant do that with a ball return. Plus most poolhalls have drop pockets so the habit of pulling balls out of the pockets is usually ingrained in people. So if you get used to a ball return, when u got out your gonna have to always be mindful that you have to help pull the balls up.

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I much prefer drop pockets. But I really like those Pro-Am tables, so I'd deal with the ball return if I could afford one.

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
I took the ball return off my GCII....It was too noisy for the house...I like the sound of the balls going into the drop pockets much better anyway.

RKC directed me on where to get drop pockets for a GCII that will hold many many balls in one pocket...are mounted correctly with Allen bolts...not nails.....and don't leave black marks.

dom_poppa

Banned
I took the ball return off my GCII....It was too noisy for the house...I like the sound of the balls going into the drop pockets much better anyway.

RKC directed me on where to get drop pockets for a GCII that will hold many many balls in one pocket...are mounted correctly with Allen bolts...not nails.....and don't leave black marks.

Something to think about...they are quite loud in a house.

21whiskey

Banned
drop pockets are a must and i prefer them.

Attachments

• neighbors.jpg
    neighbors.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 1,416

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I prefer drop pockets for the reasons mentioned. Here's one more: they are much easier on my back than having to bend down to reach into the return for the balls.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I guess Im the odd one here, but after having a drop pocket table I really love the ball return on my Gold Crown, it does not seem very loud to me, maybe Im going deaf? I think the Valley bar boxes are much louder.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I like the ball return on my GC II cause of the deep knee bends I get to do. Gotta get exercise somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
Personally I love the ball return.

Never had a ball get stuck or any other problem.

Only possible issue , maybe, is the noise if that bothers you but actually there's something very soothing to me to be shooting and hearing that last ball rolling under the table. Reminds me of something like in my youth, not even sure what. It just sounds "right' to me.

Oh, I guess this is a tip then for the 1P guys. Just lay a small peice of wood in the drop and the balls stay on each side. Problem solved. :) In fact , now you know the score at a glance without having to dig balls out of pockets.

IMO.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm with RR on this one. I love the sound of the balls rolling down the track. And when you wack, wack, have a few rolling at once, nothing is better. Of course I sure wish I could do that more offen.

LAlouie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only thing I like about drop pockets is the sound of the padded click when the balls drop. The con is if you play 14.1, you're always moving balls from one pocket to another and it breaks the rhythm.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
drop pockets all the way

Easier on my back, love the thud of a well hit ball into the back of a leather pocket, and just seems like the way things ought to be. Use a ball return table a lot and they get lint and such built up in most of them and eat the occasional piece of chalk. Also it is hell to get a cat out of a ball return table with both of you in one piece, a consideration for those that own cats.

Hu

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Pockets

Personally, I like the ball return. I compare to having a SS in a car, or an automatic. The stick shift may be fun for a while, but sooner or later you are going to wish you had an automatic.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Definitely a ball return. Get drop pockets to save some $$$ or just because you like that style. Buy what you like. Neither is better than the other.
You can start out with a ball return and convert to DP if you do not like the ball return. If you should get a BR you most likely will not change it.
My complaint on drop pockets....walking around the table to retrieve when you are solo......and the way your company throws the balls down the table to be racked. Also when playing 14:1...the 15th ball gets mixed up once in a while when the balls are tossed toward the racker. ( especially with the guys I play with at my clubhouse)

I prefer a stick shift. Never gets old. Has nothing to do with DP or BR.

Last edited:

master_cueist

pick your poison
Silver Member
I like to switch the break spot about halfway through the life of my cloth to keep the wear patterns the same. U cant do that with a ball return. Plus most poolhalls have drop pockets so the habit of pulling balls out of the pockets is usually ingrained in people. So if you get used to a ball return, when u got out your gonna have to always be mindful that you have to help pull the balls up.

Just trying to confirm something here. By switching your break spot do you mean switching ends of the table you rack the balls? That is the only conclusion I could come to that would have anything to do with having a ball return or not.

thommy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just trying to confirm something here. By switching your break spot do you mean switching ends of the table you rack the balls? That is the only conclusion I could come to that would have anything to do with having a ball return or not.

I had an english teacher who used to say, "Your powers of deduction are exceeded only by your affection for the obvious."

Seems to apply here:rolleyes: