Mezz united joint question

StrokeofLuck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently had a friend put a tip on my Mezz shaft and when I got it home and screwed it together I noticed that there was a little grind in the threads like metal shavings. I blew it out and put a drop of 3 in 1 oil in there and threaded it a few times and it seems fine. Anyway, I hate the tip he put on and want to change it but I'm curious if I'm in danger of doing some permanent damage to the threads if he does it again, being as it's maybe a little different than a standard 5/16 x 14? He does use a lathe but isn't a pro cue repair guy. Anything I should tell him before having another go at it?
Thanks in advance.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How does he hold the shaft in the lathe?
Does he spin it by the joint? Or use a collet on the ferrule side?
If at the joint, with what?
Mandrel or live center?

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently had a friend put a tip on my Mezz shaft and when I got it home and screwed it together I noticed that there was a little grind in the threads like metal shavings. I blew it out and put a drop of 3 in 1 oil in there and threaded it a few times and it seems fine. Anyway, I hate the tip he put on and want to change it but I'm curious if I'm in danger of doing some permanent damage to the threads if he does it again, being as it's maybe a little different than a standard 5/16 x 14? He does use a lathe but isn't a pro cue repair guy. Anything I should tell him before having another go at it?
Thanks in advance.

I found them to be slightly undersize at the bottom part of the threads. Why it's done is a question only Mezz can answer. Your repair person probably hit that part of the insert, found it started to get a little harder to turn and just force threaded it. But that's a guess.

StrokeofLuck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How does he hold the shaft in the lathe?
Does he spin it by the joint? Or use a collet on the ferrule side?
If at the joint, with what?
Mandrel or live center?

He does spin it by the joint and had an attachment on that but sorry, I'm not familiar with mandrel or live center. I think he has a pretty low end lathe.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He does spin it by the joint and had an attachment on that but sorry, I'm not familiar with mandrel or live center. I think he has a pretty low end lathe.

Ok. Mandrel it is or maintenance pin as some call it. The 5/16x14 joint screw is the most varied sized screw in the Industry as far as outer dimension size. It can range from .276 o.d. to .312 full sized 5/16". Tell him this and he should seek a smaller sized screw to make his fixture out of. Prathers, Cue man billiards and Unique products may offer this already. If he can get a .298x14 screw, it will work for all 5/16x14 screws from the old Mali's quick release to everything up to 5/16 full sized.
Ex.
Mali .298x14
.302x14-
Schon, Schick. It's George, Paradise, Schuler. Etc. Etc.
.307 to .310-
Almost all others.
Full 5/16 (.312)
Tascarella, Black boar, Mezz

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Mike, are you thinking they tried to do a tip install between centers instead of running through the headstock bore? I would hope he/she wouldn't do a tip install running the shaft between centers without having several steady rests in between but who knows. /shrug

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike, are you thinking they tried to do a tip install between centers instead of running through the headstock bore? I would hope he/she wouldn't do a tip install running the shaft between centers without having several steady rests in between but who knows. /shrug

Yes Sir. I've seen it done.